Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

3 hours ago, Manini said:

Milk alternatives are nice, Almond milk is my favourite. Not great in a coffee because it’s piss weak really but I’ve got one of those Areoccino milk frothers so a whiz in there and it negates that problem slightly. I use and drink green top milk too obviously but I reckon I could switch fully if I wanted to. 

Almond milk has an appalling environmental impact. If you are drinking milk alternatives to be more green don't go almond. Obviously if it's for taste then go with what you like.

I'm an oat milk kinda guy.

Don’t know if this is unpopular or not but I’m absolutely loving the table service and booking rules in pubs and bars at the moment. It’s absolutely class, keeps loads of riff raff out, you get served 10 times quicker and you always get a seat. I’ve always thought the table service stuff they do on the continent was class and now we have a variation of it here. I’d love it to stay forever but I’m not sure if the actual establishments would want it to because I imagine they probably aren’t taking so much money with double the people crammed in. 

I know people get brought up with it as a kid, but you have to pretty gullible to believe a God exists. Just seems ridiculous to me that's it's perfectly acceptable for someone to think there's this fella that created everything with zero evidence, and that same person will think the moon landing was a hoax.

37 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I know people get brought up with it as a kid, but you have to pretty gullible to believe a God exists. Just seems ridiculous to me that's it's perfectly acceptable for someone to think there's this fella that created everything with zero evidence, and that same person will think the moon landing was a hoax.

I don't really know if believing is "gullible" as there is zero evidence either way. I just think it sometimes gives people comfort. I wouldn't consider myself as an atheist but I wouldn't consider myself religious either.

• Like 1

Agnostic then. 

Who knows if "something" created the universe? It certainly wasn't anything that gives a shit about us. And definitely isn't some bloke with a white beard and a son who came back to life. That is the daft part that people shouldn't believe. 

And don't get me started on Intelligent Design nutcases. 

18 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

The Black Lives Matter kneel-down act made by players just after kick-off has run its course now, personally.

If your pissed Off After 2-3 months of Keep being reminded,just Think how the Target victims  After 600Yrs are still feeling..!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

Agnostic then. 

Who knows if "something" created the universe? It certainly wasn't anything that gives a shit about us. And definitely isn't some bloke with a white beard and a son who came back to life. That is the daft part that people shouldn't believe. 

And don't get me started on Intelligent Design nutcases. 

This is pretty much where I come out too, tbh.

It's within the realms of possibility that a creator deity exists but if it does it's pretty plainly non-interventionist or acts in ways that we could never hope to understand, so what's the point in paying homage to it when you get zilch (that can actually be proven) in return?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, leicsmac said:

It's within the realms of possibility that a creator deity exists but if it does it's pretty plainly non-interventionist or acts in ways that we could never hope to understand, so what's the point in paying homage to it when you get zilch (that can actually be proven) in return?

Because you get your reward in heaven I suppose.

People will be saying that Santa doesn't exist next!  

10 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Because Adam and Eve took the Apple? Tbf I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, and like I said above I'm not really Religious, but that's the moral of the story isn't it? People taking something they shouldn't.

I would never knock someone for believing in Religion. It's their choice. Sometimes I do like talking about it to people. Personally I'm not a person that criticises something that someone else believes in.

And like I said above, I think people believe for comfort also. I don't want to think that death is the end (but in reality it probably is).

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

I have no problem with people believing what they want, as it can give them a moral code to live by and make them better people. 

The problem is those people are in the vast minority. Most people use religion to hide behind prejudice, mockery, hate, and violence. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I have no problem with people believing what they want, as it can give them a moral code to live by and make them better people. 

The problem is those people are in the vast minority. Most people use religion to hide behind prejudice, mockery, hate, and violence. 

Speaking as a Christian (I can't talk for other religions), just short of 1 million Christians in the UK go to church every week and the latest census identified that approximately 1/3 of the UK population identified as being Christian.

Although these numbers are clearly on the decline, I disagree that most of us use our religion to hide behind prejudice, mockery, hate or violence.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, murphy said:

Because you get your reward in heaven I suppose.

People will be saying that Santa doesn't exist next!  

Hence my part in the brackets about something that can be proven. The existence of any afterlife - much less that as portrayed by any one religion - has yet to be proven to any degree, so as it stands the null hypothesis is that it in all likelihood doesn't exist in the way that any one religion presents it.

41 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Because Adam and Eve took the Apple? Tbf I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, and like I said above I'm not really Religious, but that's the moral of the story isn't it? People taking something they shouldn't.

I would never knock someone for believing in Religion. It's their choice. Sometimes I do like talking about it to people. Personally I'm not a person that criticises something that someone else believes in.

And like I said above, I think people believe for comfort also. I don't want to think that death is the end (but in reality it probably is).

With respect, a morality tale about the dangers of disobeying the instructions of someone more powerful than you written in a very old text doesn't do much to actually prove that the deity mentioned in the text actually exists in the way portrayed there.

I personally have no problem with one persons belief either (I do have a problem with many organised religions because their stances often verge into the political arena in many countries which IMO should be strictly secular, but that's another story) and I certainly wouldn't seek to prohibit such beliefs, but I can and will point out that the idea of a deity that intervenes in the way the Abrahamic religions portray is scientifically unproven and cannot be stated as anywhere approaching fact.

I also have some sympathy for the idea of people using religion as a comfort when the end approaches - there aren't many people at all who can face that fear without some kind of wishing for an "afterwards" and they shouldn't be expected to.

12 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Speaking as a Christian (I can't talk for other religions), just short of 1 million Christians in the UK go to church every week and the latest census identified that approximately 1/3 of the UK population identified as being Christian.

Although these numbers are clearly on the decline, I disagree that most of us use our religion to hide behind prejudice, mockery, hate or violence.

The unfortunate thing is that when it comes to practice of Abrahamic religion and its influence on politics, the UK is an exception rather than the rule around the world.

26 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I wasn't talking specifically about Christians or UK people. I was talking about all religions in general all over the World. 

Edited by The Bear

4 minutes ago, Benguin said:

There's lots of evidence:

1. The universe had a beginning (the big bang) which created space and time thus the cause of the big bang is devoid of space and time. Seen as abstract things like numbers don't cause anything, a transcendent mind is all that can follow logically. 

2. The universe is finely tuned to allow for life. The mathematics involved here are absurd to the point that the only theory that contains any weight is the multiverse theory, which has zero evidence. 

3. Objective moral values and duties are baseless without a moral law giver. To deny God is to deny that objective moral values and duties exist. One has to place themselves in a position that murdering and raping babies, though harmful to our survival is not objectively immoral. 

4. Without belief in God, absolute truths and logic external to our own minds cannot be expressed or observed by us. One has to surrender knowledge to have an athiestic worldview and any knowledge is based purely on one's own ability to reason which of course they are not able to prove the reliability of. 

5. Without God, all meaning one claims life has is illusory. If we are atoms in motion then love, morals and meanings are an effect of this and thus have no transcendent meaning. 

6.The historical facts surrounding the life of Jesus are best explained by the resurrection story. The only other theories which are even remotely considered by serious scholars are that he had a twin brother or that he didn't die. The evidence though is not there for these theories. 

7. Belief in God is intuitive and on the hearts of everyone. atheists merely suppress this so they can worship idols, sin or be thier own God. No one who chooses the wrong path will have an excuse.

8.one can know and have a personal relationship with Jesus. Everyone will here the knock, if you invite him in you will know beyond any doubt that he is God. 

The list goes on and of course the above points are very summarised happy to expand or debate on them individually. 

In all of sciences development and progress, the first line of the Bible is still the best explanation for life the universe and everything. 

1. The first universal inflation event could have been caused by a quantum fluctuation just as easily as having been sprung into being by a creator - there's nothing to suggest either is 100% factual.

2. The conditions that account for life could, again, come just as easily down to chance as they did to Intelligent Design (there's no evidence for the latter); after all, billions of years is a long time over which a lot of unlikely events can occur.

3. Says who?

4. Our own faculty of reasoning is fallible because we are human, and so it logically follows that we cannot possibly ascertain and prove that an Abrahamic deity exists in the way portrayed either.

5. Why would they have more meaning if brought into being by a deity as opposed to chance?

6. Are there historical records that can be verified proving that a man "came back to life" around that time?

7. Why is a belief in that particular deity (rather than the many thousands of others) specially intuitive?

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth...."

With all respect, that cannot be stated as fact without cited proof. Which I'm not sure is even possible.

3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I wasn't talking specifically about Christians or UK people. I was talking about all religions in general all over the World. 

Fair enough. Still not sure I agree with your comment that "Most people use religion to hide behind prejudice, mockery, hate, and violence"

There are millions of religious people around the world who are the most generous, caring, empathetic and loving people on the planet. 

• Like 1

Absolutely. British and European Christians and Catholics, and Turkish Muslims are all very nice people. There's lots more around the World too like Buddhists, etc. 

The main problems come in the middle East and America, in which there are vast populations being taught to mock and hate other religions. In America people get ostracised in their own communities just for admitting Atheism.

Religion is slowly on the decline year by year. And one day it will be in the small minority. I think this will be a good thing in general. With those people allowed to have their belief in peace. I just hope the mockery and hate doesn't reverse at that time. 

25 minutes ago, Benguin said:

1. The universe had a beginning (the big bang) which created space and time thus the cause of the big bang is devoid of space and time. Seen as abstract things like numbers don't cause anything, a transcendent mind is all that can follow logically. 

2. The universe is finely tuned to allow for life. The mathematics involved here are absurd to the point that the only theory that contains any weight is the multiverse theory, which has zero evidence. 

3. Objective moral values and duties are baseless without a moral law giver. To deny God is to deny that objective moral values and duties exist. One has to place themselves in a position that murdering and raping babies, though harmful to our survival is not objectively immoral. 

4. Without belief in God, absolute truths and logic external to our own minds cannot be expressed or observed by us. One has to surrender knowledge to have an athiestic worldview and any knowledge is based purely on one's own ability to reason which of course they are not able to prove the reliability of. 

5. Without God, all meaning one claims life has is illusory. If we are atoms in motion then love, morals and meanings are an effect of this and thus have no transcendent meaning. 

6.The historical facts surrounding the life of Jesus are best explained by the resurrection story. The only other theories which are even remotely considered by serious scholars are that he had a twin brother or that he didn't die. The evidence though is not there for these theories. 

7. Belief in God is intuitive and on the hearts of everyone. atheists merely suppress this so they can worship idols, sin or be thier own God. No one who chooses the wrong path will have an excuse.

8.one can know and have a personal relationship with Jesus. Everyone will here the knock, if you invite him in you will know beyond any doubt that he is God. 

The list goes on and of course the above points are very summarised happy to expand or debate on them individually. 

In all of sciences development and progress, the first line of the Bible is still the best explanation for life the universe and everything. 

Wow. I don't even know where to start with that. I admire your convictions but a lot of that above comes from assumption and claims that can't be proven either way. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

1. The first universal inflation event could have been caused by a quantum fluctuation just as easily as having been sprung into being by a creator - there's nothing to suggest either is 100% factual.

2. The conditions that account for life could, again, come just as easily down to chance as they did to Intelligent Design (there's no evidence for the latter); after all, billions of years is a long time over which a lot of unlikely events can occur.

3. Says who?

4. Our own faculty of reasoning is fallible because we are human, and so it logically follows that we cannot possibly ascertain and prove that an Abrahamic deity exists in the way portrayed either.

5. Why would they have more meaning if brought into being by a deity as opposed to chance?

6. Are there historical records that can be verified proving that a man "came back to life" around that time?

7. Why is a belief in that particular deity (rather than the many thousands of others) specially intuitive?

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth...."

With all respect, that cannot be stated as fact without cited proof. Which I'm not sure is even possible.

1. Quantum fluctuations occur in space time, there's no evidence they occur outside of it. 

2. Well the evidence is that we exist. The point to this argument is that for us to be here in the circumstances that we are is a probability so unlikely that its easier to believe in a creator. 

3. We have had this debate already and you accepted that objective moral values and duties do not exist in your worldview. Objective means that it is universal and I dependant if thoughts and feelings. Are you now saying you are able to show that murdering babies is objectively immmoral in an atheistic worldview? If so please do many have tried. 

4. In a theistic worldview, one realises this and thus has knowledge and absolute truths via divine revelation. That is to say I justify my living in accordance with logic and absolute truths because of a God, in your worldview there is no justification so you have to conclude you could be in the matrix and don't know anything for certain. 

5. It's not a question of more but rather whether there is any meaning. Without God all meaning is illusory. 

6. The historical facts are that jesus claimed to be the son of God, he was crucified, he was buried in the tomb of Joseph of arimethea, this tomb was found empty and several individuals and groups of people saw jesus alive and well. All of these are considered facts by the vast majority of scholars and are more attested than any historical figure of antiquity. 

7. Because if God exists and he wanted us to know him he wouldnt reveal a false God. 

36 minutes ago, Benguin said:

I envy you (and others) your faith.  I would prefer to be a believer, but none of that is evidence of God.  You're better off just sticking to the faith angle, science won't help you.

Personally, I find it difficult to understand how many people, more intelligent than I, can believe in a God.  It seems to me a form of denial.  An acceptance of an idea while choosing to ignore all logic and scientific evidence.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Wow. I don't even know where to start with that. I admire your convictions but a lot of that above comes from assumption and claims that can't be proven either way. 

See points 7 and 8. There is enough evidence to take a step of faith. I was an atheist until a few years ago but after giving it serious thought and looking at the evidence I realised my worldview didn't correspond to my experience. This gave me enough to start seeking God. Once you take that step of faith, proof comes from receiving Jesus in your life. I'm interested in apologetics and evidences for God but the best evidence I've seen since becoming a Christian is seeing the gospel and the transformation jesus does in fellow Christians. 

If you are looking for a difinitive God exist because of x, I can't give it to you. What I can say is that there is enough evidence that belief is not baseless, an atheistic worldview is illogical and flawed when we actually examine what that means and if one seeks. God they will find him.