Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

The Claude Puel Era - what will he bring?

Imo he does seem tactically aware and not afraid to drop players or throw them in. I do agree that we do seem to defend too deep but that maybe is because it plays to our strengths to counter attack. Or the realisation that we are asking for trouble playing a high line with our lack of pace at the back. Overall I'm pleased with him and hes certainly an improvement on Shakespeare. 

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Better.

I'm basically going to repeat what I said in the post match thread in different words.

Played well.

But we do sit back alot, invite pressure and look massively vunerable - I understand people are saying this is a work in progree and I understand we need some new players (easier said than done with certain personnel currently at the club) and to adapt to this style but currently I think we'll struggle.

When we got the 1st, like the West Ham game we sat back, rode our luck, managed to get a 2nd just before half time - A goal on the stroke of half time in our favour for once, bout time!

2nd half, very defensive, very worrying, rode our luck even more, luck seemed to be on our side, another day and we'd have lost, but today wasn't another day and thankfully Tottenham wasted their chances though. We had a couple of attacks, decent attacks which we should have done better with.

When they got one it was a waiting game until they got a second, again, luckily they ran out of time.

It's been said about every manager we've ever had, "we sit back when we go in front". I think there is far more to it then a manager deciding to go defensive. The psychology of the players to protect what they have and the reaction of the opposition to name just two. Throw into the mix a team learning and not entirely comfortable with the new style just yet and it's easy to see why what's happening, is happening.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As has already been posted, we are a work in progress, but I'm impressed by Claude Puel so far and like what he's doing. I'd like to see us establish ourselves in the top 10 this season and am certain Claude can keep us moving forwards.

Wait why are you all loving Puel all of a sudden? The game was the same as the West Ham one, except we took our chances against spurs.

Puel can’t guarantee players will take the chances all the time, he did nothing different but now nobody is getting on his back. Bum holes you lot lol 

18 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Wait why are you all loving Puel all of a sudden? The game was the same as the West Ham one, except we took our chances against spurs.

Puel can’t guarantee players will take the chances all the time, he did nothing different but now nobody is getting on his back. Bum holes you lot lol 

You sure it's the same people as I said exactly the same after West Ham.

41 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You sure it's the same people as I said exactly the same after West Ham.

I didn’t write a list of culprits if I’m absolutely honest with you mate. (Might start mind you, for when we’re fully adjusted)

Edited by SheppyFox

We end sitting back deep because it's the natural instinct for players to do. Plus we are playing an excellent CL side so they are naturally better than us at football. I caught the last 15 mins of the Watford v United game last night and United sat back very deep. 

Edited by Koke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On reflection I don't think Puel can be blamed for recent 2nd half performances. These performances have been characterised by desperate defending and hoof it anywhere tactics which are surely the antithesis of his approach.

These comments may or may not be consistent with previous statements I may or may not have made or implied in the past.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

10 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

On reflection I don't think Puel can be blamed for recent 2nd half performances. These performances have been characterised by desperate defending and hoof it anywhere tactics which are surely the antithesis of his approach.

I don't believe for one moment he's telling them the second you go in front sit on your own 18 yard line line, concede loads of posession and just hoof the ball.

We know damn well he doesn't want the players hoofing it, so it's not inconceivable that he doesn't want the rest of it either. Personally I think it's down to the mentality of the players trying to protect what they have and reverting to what they know when under pressure.

• Like 2

Claude Puel.

I wasn't against his appointment but I wasn't excited either. Seemed a bit dour and wasn't held in high esteem by Southampton fans. Finished 8th (good) and reached a cup final (good) but not playing exciting, attacking football (bad). Then I thought about what he inheritted: a team that had lost its manager and assistant, an attack that had sold its top scorer and focal point (Pelle) sold its second top scorer and most talented player (Mané) and relied on Austin (out injured) and Long (who used to be okay but lost his mojo ages n ages ago). Bought Gabbiadini who did okay at first (but, is it me? ...i reckon he looks a bit poorly?). Also - midfield - sold Wanyama and also -defence- lost top man Van Dijk due to injury then petulance. Quite a few other injuries and loss of form....

Y'know what - with that lot going on I reckon 8th was BRILLIANT and now he has inheritted a full team including wingers and 4/5 strikers plus youngsters coming through (plus, soon, Silva alonside Ndidi and the brilliant Iborra)  - I reckon he could REALLY take us forward!

.....just needs a goalie who comes out for corners! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

A really interesting insight to our approach under Puel. 

"Adventurous full backs, Fuchs and Simpson" lol

"Added pace with Harry Maguire" :huh:

And I think Iborra is the one usually dropping deep, not Ndidi.

But always interesting with a little bit of in-depth tactical analysis.

1 minute ago, shen said:

"Adventurous full backs, Fuchs and Simpson" lol

"Added pace with Harry Maguire" :huh:

And I think Iborra is the one usually dropping deep, not Ndidi.

But always interesting with a little bit of in-depth tactical analysis.

To be fair the full-backs have pushed further forward in the few games, they've just not been effective. 

33 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

A really interesting insight to our approach under Puel. 

These guys make great videos, though they say Koeman got sacked (he didn't) and call out Danny Simpson as being an "adventurous fullback" lol. Well I suppose you are adventurous if you keep passing the ball to the opposition in your own half!

To be fair he's been getting forward a lot more, but still a long way from being a Kyle Walker or Nathaniel Clyne.

On 11/29/2017 at 06:58, Koke said:

We end sitting back deep because it's the natural instinct for players to do. Plus we are playing an excellent CL side so they are naturally better than us at football. I caught the last 15 mins of the Watford v United game last night and United sat back very deep. 

I'm almost certain that Puel didn't instruct the players to sit deep and invite pressure but as you say it's natural because Tottenham throw more attacking players forward and we counteract that by getting more defensive. Tottenham are throwing caution to the wind and we're naturally trying to protect what we have,

Just now, BenTheFox said:

To be fair the full-backs have pushed further forward in the few games, they've just not been effective. 

True, but to me, an adventurous fullback is someone like Chilwell who goes on marauding runs or one that at least tries to overlap regularly. That's not the case.

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

These guys make great videos, though they say Koeman got sacked (he didn't) and call out Danny Simpson as being an "adventurous fullback" lol. Well I suppose you are adventurous if you keep passing the ball to the opposition in your own half!

To be fair he's been getting forward a lot more, but still a long way from being a Kyle Walker or Nathaniel Clyne.

I didn't realise he said that the first I watched. Doesn't set the video off the right footing does it? lol

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2017 at 05:49, Kitchandro said:

I’ll be surprised if he lasts a year.

I wasn't too keen on Puel when I first heard his name mentioned but when he went odds on I did a bit of research on him and completely changed my mind.

He won the French league title with Monaco and got unfashionable Lyon to a Champions League semi final knocking Real Madrid out en route. Southampton targeted him a year a go and if there is one club who you can trust to get picking a manager or player and getting it right it's Southampton. They sacked him after an 8th placed finish and runners up in the League Cup final in which they were the much better side on the day.

Puel seems to lack charisma to the public eye and doesn't come across as a shouter and screamer so it means he probably has other qualities like tactical knowledge of the game. Most of all I wanted someone who was an outsider and had no links to the previous regimes as I thought it best the players got outside of their comfort zones and heard a new voice who wanted them yo play a new way. 

Puel could have eased himself in by playing trusted workhorses in Okazaki and Albrighton in his first game but he was his own man and brought in Chilwell and Gray. The more I see of Puel the more I like him and this is the much changed management we should have had before the start of the season rather than clinging on to the old guard by appointing Shakey.

I'd be interested to hear who you think we should be appointing if you'd be surprised he "lasts a year".

• Like 3