Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

The Claude Puel Era - what will he bring?

3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

To be fair the full-backs have pushed further forward in the few games, they've just not been effective. 

I would say, like 99.9%  of posters on this forum (I am myself no great shakes) this shows how

This forum is deft of footballing nous, and knowledge of variants a FB bring to their team.

The underrating of Simpson, has always left me bewildered..Fuchs form has dropped,doesnt mean hes been really poor, over his various 90mins.Both Fbs have weaknesses, but they all do.

Our 2 compare to any in the top 8, their Total B.line awareness is better than some fbs like Walker, Rose, even Clyne .Trippier also seems to support his CBs well .Getting beat and 

crosses from the oppo is inevetable, so Singling   out moves when our 2 get beat, just prove a

posters need to criticise leaves arguments lacking base.

All FBs get turned, especially when  your a long time on the Backfoot.So using them has scapegoats, when our midfield has been regularly turned-over is imo biennial.

Simpson has also been the springboard for some great movement or quick 1-2s with Mahrez,

even when he doesnt surge beyond that extra 5 -10 meters beyond the halfway line.

He as however been often the defender who held the BL when CBs have lost position, or been far forward. Shinji uses him well for lay-offs.

A silly one liner..."They've just not been effective"....The fact they have pushed forward, automatically makes it effective...it opens and creates for others, adds pressure, it doesnt mean it will always leads anywhere, its part of the game, like we use our pace as a major strength, other teams use attacking FBs..both are hit and miss, but are tools not guarrantees.

Ditto for the posters who hack-off Fuchs using the long throw, football is about individual moments, single game tactics, and % s.  Using what you have, after calculating how to use

the teams individuals  and group  strengths. Amazes me how poster analyse every single negative, just to go out point scoring...Simpson Fuchs, and Chilwell have never or rarely , as I

remember never made big mistakes as individuals that as costs us dearly, (Red cards not counted)

or been the reason, for poor runs. Some of their pressures are created because our midfield,

is not upto it when on the backfoot...

Shinji for example, in 2nd half, looked like ' piggy in the middle' not getting his blocks or intercepts in.That puts the flanks and Bline really under pressure. I wont blame Shinji, Spurs,

Like Arsenal are great adept quick consistent passing sides, but that also doesnt bring them

success always...

We have a new Management platform, it needs time, there will be automatic  change and hopefully developement,  taking on individual players cases, who are prominent or evolving team members, is in my mind futile. We need to sit back, and see and enjoy over 7-8 game routines what players can grasp the bit, and hold a positive form.

Nothing wrong in opinionating, or criticising an individuals performance in single games, but so many seem to go on crusades to hack-off ...every player, and dump his career...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I still have no idea why Simpson gets slated for not 'pushing on'?

He can't get forward. He has no support from Mahrez.

Anyone watching the Spuds game would have seen Tottenham exploiting our right hand side time and time again, knowing that Mahrez is just not defensively minded.

Simpson must surely know, if he strays too far forward to support an attack, it could leave us ridiculously exposed.

i just wish people would get off Simmo's back. After a shaky start to his Leicester career, he's been nothing other than an absolutely reliable full back who has given us his all when his career was going nowhere. 

Seems one of the midfielders is ready to stay back when Simpson and Mahrez both go forward. Often see Ndidi on the right-back position helping Simpson when another team is breaking. Squad seems quite fluid at the minute.

Simpson wins an unreal amount of headers at the back post. His positional sense and intelligence is outstanding.
Agreed! His defensive knowledge is fantastic, yes his forward attacking function lacks but i trust him in what he can provide at back and im happy with that. He has to be the most consistent player. Im surprised hearing others wanting to replace him but honestly though.. An experienced right back, that reads the game well.. what more do you want?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Koke said:

Simpson wins an unreal amount of headers at the back post. His positional sense and intelligence is outstanding.

Always said that if he was a bit more comfortable with the ball forward and had a better cross/pass quality, he'd walk straight into the national team. I personally think that he's the most consistent performer out of the starting back four, but modern football expects from a FB to both defend and attack.

Edited by ZeGuy
  • Like 3

People's minds are gonna explode when we sign a full back that's as defensively sound as Simmo and actually can provide assistance down the right wing.

It's as if it seems impossible, incomprehensible to most haha.

I still think I'd play him in games against teams that will put us under pressure. Having another attacking outkes against teams around and below us would help massively though. It'd also open up the door for Kelechi and Slimani to have a useful role in the team if we were building more attacks down the wing

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

A very promising start from him. Have to confess, I wasn’t keen on his appointment. But his interviews would cure even the worst case of insomnia. 

He should market a dvd for Christmas... 

Suffer from insomnia? 

Here's an alternative to taking sleeping puels! 

• Haha 1

I'm impressed with him so far for giving youth their chance. There are also signs we are passing the ball better instead of hoof and hope. Iborra has made a big difference in midfield but it is clear other players are beginning to flourish after some of the dire football we have witnessed over the past 18 months or so.

Hopefully this is evidence of City now moving in the right direction.

16 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I still have no idea why Simpson gets slated for not 'pushing on'?

He can't get forward. He has no support from Mahrez.

Anyone watching the Spuds game would have seen Tottenham exploiting our right hand side time and time again, knowing that Mahrez is just not defensively minded.

Simpson must surely know, if he strays too far forward to support an attack, it could leave us ridiculously exposed.

i just wish people would get off Simmo's back. After a shaky start to his Leicester career, he's been nothing other than an absolutely reliable full back who has given us his all when his career was going nowhere. 

Because that's what the managers asked him to do quite a few times since he joined the club, it's obvious for a team that wants full backs to push on and wants to play passing football, that Simpson is a weak link and moves break down around him more than most.

Simpson WAS perfect for when we didn't want to play that way. But now we don't, he's no longer the perfect option. It doesn't mean people don't appreciate what he's done and what he's capable of, he's a fine defender.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Because that's what the managers asked him to do quite a few times since he joined the club, it's obvious for a team that wants full backs to push on and wants to play passing football, that Simpson is a weak link and move break down around him more than most.

Simpson WAS perfect for when we didn't want to play that way, but now we don't he's no longer the perfect option. It doesn't mean people don't appreciate what he's done and what he's capable of, he's a fine defender.

This.

Simpson is a 7/10 guarantee week in, week out as an all out RB.  I suspect after January he wont be keeping his place but if the team is going to evolve, some players will have to step aside.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Because that's what the managers asked him to do quite a few times since he joined the club, it's obvious for a team that wants full backs to push on and wants to play passing football, that Simpson is a weak link and move break down around him more than most.

Simpson WAS perfect for when we didn't want to play that way, but now we don't he's no longer the perfect option. It doesn't mean people don't appreciate what he's done and what he's capable of, he's a fine defender.

Agree with this - Simpson is one of the best defensive full backs going, however it's clear Puel wants a full back who can go outside, which isn't Simpson's strength, long term I think his place is under pressure.

If Simpson could attack he would still be a Man Utd player with over 300 league appearances for them, and several medals, and with 90 England caps. He can't hence he has played for us, QPR and Newcastle with 0 international caps. If Danny Simpson and Glen Johnson were rolled into one that would be a world class RB. Danny Johnson or Glen Simpson.

His career was going down the toilet until he joined us and even then Pearson didn't fancy him. Fair play to him for revitalising his career and becoming a huge part of our history.

Edited by Koke
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Excuse the metaphors but I feel like Ranieri was a passionate, lust fuelled relationship which gave you the best experiences you ever felt emotionally and sexually, yet it burnt out due to how good it was at the start. The relationship was unsustainable and simply died. Shakespeare was the rebound relationship, a person who you weren't that attracted to but was there when you needed them after the breakdown of the previous relationship, it was always wrong and doomed to fail. Claude Puel is the one who you're going to settle down and marry, he's not intense, he's different to everyone else previously that you've been with, it increasingly just feels 'right'. You're going to develop as a pair with Claude, he's going to allow you to become to person that you're comfortable with. You trust Claude, you're on his level.

I really believe in Claude Puel.

Shakespeare was your mother. Puel appears to be marriage material though.

58 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Excuse the metaphors but I feel like Ranieri was a passionate, lust fuelled relationship which gave you the best experiences you ever felt emotionally and sexually, yet it burnt out due to how good it was at the start. The relationship was unsustainable and simply died. Shakespeare was the rebound relationship, a person who you weren't that attracted to but was there when you needed them after the breakdown of the previous relationship, it was always wrong and doomed to fail. Claude Puel is the one who you're going to settle down and marry, he's not intense, he's different to everyone else previously that you've been with, it increasingly just feels 'right'. You're going to develop as a pair with Claude, he's going to allow you to become to person that you're comfortable with. You trust Claude, you're on his level.

I really believe in Claude Puel.

That's quite the endorsement after just a few games, but I can see where you are coming from.

I wonder what the reaction would have been like on here if we would have played the same as we did in the second half versus Burnley but drawn or lost? Personally if I see the team put in real effort and try to play some nice stuff then the result is secondary to the performance, as long as we don't end up getting relegated. I always felt sorry for West Brom and Stoke supporters when they had Pulis in charge. He did an incredible job in terms of making those sides solid and hard to beat, but watching them play was like watching paint dry. At the end of the day we go to games or watch them on the box to be entertained, so this is an important part of the game.

The most impressive thing with our recent change in style is that we've not had long to work on it. Once Puel gets a pre-season under his belt and one or two players he'd like to bring in then we could be cooking with gas. Of course, I'm sure we will go on a bad / less than impressive run under him too as such things are inevitable, but if he can keep this upward trajectory going the future will be rosy. I think you can genuinely say that in every game we've played under him there has been something positive to take from the game, except for maybe the Man City match.

• Like 1