Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

Crying shame the Bridle Lane Tavern is where it is, really. Plenty of people come and gone there that've poured everything into it, and would make a great fist of it somewhere more local that should be better than it is.

On that subject, found out recently that the bloke that bought / reopened Tonne wanted it to be a cocktail bar on purchase (wanted to buy 45 West but was stumped) but due to rules re: new businesses in St. Martin's Sq it couldn't be (already two cocktail gaffs). Expect a barely ever changing beer list and nothing exciting at that. 

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

If you don't mind a little drive out I believe The Shires in Peatling Parva is still well worth the trip.

9 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Went there for the first time in about 10 years and it’s still cracking. Was rammed though. 

Went in the week. Meals aren't great. Waiting time is unacceptable. Poor, albeit a nice setting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Sunchaser in the Peel and a Guinness in Duffy’s. 
The Peel is such a lovely building inside, shame you feel on eggshells there though.

Not been in there for a few years but used to love having a few in the Peel. Out of interest, why do you feel on egg shells is it the clientele or is it the landlord? I've heard she was very strict when they semi-opened after Covid.

11 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Not been in there for a few years but used to love having a few in the Peel. Out of interest, why do you feel on egg shells is it the clientele or is it the landlord? I've heard she was very strict when they semi-opened after Covid.

Given its name after a bloke who founded the met I imagine they're following tradition.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

22 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

She imo sucks the fun out the place. Seen groups get a telling off for being loud and colourful language. It’s a pub.

• Like 1

Just now, SemperEadem said:

She imo sucks the fun out the place. Seen groups get a telling off for being loud and colourful language. It’s a pub.

Nothing worse than getting a telling off in a pub for being loud - if it's a family pub with kids about fair enough but the Peel used to be a typical boozer for a few beers before the football etc.

• Like 3

On 27/04/2022 at 23:48, SemperEadem said:

Sunchaser in the Peel and a Guinness in Duffy’s. 
The Peel is such a lovely building inside, shame you feel on eggshells there though.

On 28/04/2022 at 08:35, lcfc278 said:

On 28/04/2022 at 08:59, SemperEadem said:

Does the same woman have The Western? Was a Scottish lady on the door head counting despite there being about a square mile of space in the garden, wouldn’t let lads in who had a beer waiting for them inside. Was appalling. As the lady in the queue next to me said, I would love to run a business where you can turn down that much revenue! 

1 minute ago, Finnaldo said:

Does the same woman have The Western? Was a Scottish lady on the door head counting despite there being about a square mile of space in the garden, wouldn’t let lads in who had a beer waiting for them inside. Was appalling. As the lady in the queue next to me said, I would love to run a business where you can turn down that much revenue! 

Yeah

• Thanks 1

The days of being packed into a pub like sardines, like it used to be in the Peel, have long gone. Covid has seen to that.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the Scottish woman on the door of the Peel/Western. She gets horrendous abuse off the (occasional) fan who cant gain entry. She's only doing her job.

Either get there early or go to the F Bar.

1 minute ago, boots60 said:

The days of being packed into a pub like sardines, like it used to be in the Peel, have long gone. Covid has seen to that.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the Scottish woman on the door of the Peel/Western. She gets horrendous abuse off the (occasional) fan who cant gain entry. She's only doing her job.

Either get there early or go to the F Bar.

She had a warning as I understand it because the Peel was over capacity on a matchday. Ever since then she counts to the capacity and allows no more in. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Beautiful South singer Paul Heaton is getting a round in tonight at 60 different pubs up and down the country to mark his 60th birthday. The pubs he chose include two in Leicestershire - The Old Horse on Victoria Park in Leicester, and Aylestone's The Black Horse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Sure it has been said before but the Parcel Yard closing at 9 on match-days seems daft.

Used to get busy post-evening games, especially after European games. Missing a huge trick with there being a late train southbound again too.

• Like 3

Sorry to hijack a fine thread like this with Brummy nonsense…but I’m in Birmingham for work on Thursday - Saturday. I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for good boozing/eating spots in the Snow Hill area of Birmingham? Not adverse to a bit of a walk to another area either. 

11 hours ago, Manini said:

Sorry to hijack a fine thread like this with Brummy nonsense…but I’m in Birmingham for work on Thursday - Saturday. I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for good boozing/eating spots in the Snow Hill area of Birmingham? Not adverse to a bit of a walk to another area either. 

The old joint stock isn't bad it's a good balance between chain but still having loads of options drink wise. But there's loads of places between new street and snow Hill Stations. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bayfox said:

The old joint stock isn't bad it's a good balance between chain but still having loads of options drink wise. But there's loads of places between new street and snow Hill Stations. 

I think I’ve been in there before, nice one. I know it’s a busy area but it’s very Revs De Cuba from what I can remember, so was keen to see if anyone had any gems. I’ve been put on to a place called The Wellington as well so I’ll give the one above and that a go. Cheers.