Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
420Hashish

How to get into a football team while living in the US

Sup Yo. 

I'm was released by my team last February because of my ACL injury and now it's been 7 months since the surgery. I moved to the USA in the summer and now I'm wondering how to get back into football. I'd like to go pro because I'm confident of how good I am, but this is the US. They're not really 'big' in football so I was wondering how do I get into a team that would actually let me play pro.

I'm only 17 so I still have time but it's running short.

Other facts you might like to know:

Position: Winger

I don't think trying to become a "pro" at age 17 is the right approach. You must impress first or make a lasting impression, being able to perform on a high level regularly, especially after your injury (increased risk of future injuries).

Then you may be able to think of turning "pro". You seem to be getting ahead of yourself from what I can tell.

I'm sure there are clubs in the NASL or USL you could contact for a trial. :thumbup:

If you're still in school then play for their team and try and use it as a spring board to get a scholarship playing football (soccer) at a good college. MLS teams heavily recruit from college soccer and if you perform well enough in the college leagues you'll be selected for the MLS draft. 

Edited by peach0000
  • Like 3

As peach says, American sport revolves heavily around their school system- it's not like over here where you would play school football in front of parents and a few mates and nobody cares, high school sport gets media coverage and the colleges have full on stadiums.

Am I right in thinking that you stay in high school until 19? Get yourself in your school team!

• Like 1

Absolutely need to get yourself noticed by a university, and receive a scholarship / earn a spot on a top team at that level. That should be priority #1. I think you might find yourself surprised at the level of competition in NCAA Division 1.

Edited by UPinCarolina
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DrezZone said:

Sup Yo. 

I'm was released by my team last February because of my ACL injury and now it's been 7 months since the surgery. I moved to the USA in the summer and now I'm wondering how to get back into football. I'd like to go pro because I'm confident of how good I am, but this is the US. They're not really 'big' in football so I was wondering how do I get into a team that would actually let me play pro.

Let's be honest. The chances you are good enough to even play at the MLS level are slim. Joke all you want about the competitive level of American "Soccer," but you're most likely behind your peer group. 

At 17, the elite american soccer players have likely competed in the US national team U-14, U-16, and U-17 system. They competed in the U17 concacaf championship and U17 world cup. They're either playing in the USL (2nd division) now, or are preparing to make a move to Europe when they turn 18. 

The second tier of american soccer players have played on elite travel teams, have been scouted by major university programs and have received a full scholarship. There are serious concerns about players who go through this path, but college players regularly get drafted by MLS teams. Even if you make it onto a MLS team, the minimum salary is only about $60k. To be making the real money, you need to excel at an elite level within the MLS to make $100-200k, or become a designated player and make millions of dollars.

If you are only concerned about playing the game, because you love it, I would suggest that you join a rec team and follow a different career path. If you are really that good, I would suggest walking on to your college team and see if you can earn a scholarship. If you get a scholarship, and focus on your studies, you will likely out-earn the average MLS player throughout your career. Engineers make more than the minimum MLS salary out of college. If playing professionally is all that is important to you, see if you can make it onto a USL or NASL team. If you play well enough, MLS teams will take notice. 

Edited by Detroit Blues
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DrezZone said:

Sup Yo. 

Most teams have summer try outs for youth/ young players. The best option i would suggest is to check out every club website  and they usually have a youth section that will detail that. Alternatively call them and ask them " how would someone try out for their youth team"

for example a quick google search for my local soccer team here ( charlotte independence - they play in the USL which is the league below the MLS) shows their youth camps and thei try out dates for their performance academy). Thats the sort of thing you'd need to be looking at

http://www.charlotteindependence.com/performance-academy

Also some collages ( universities) offer scholarships for certain sports and some specifically for soccer-  collages that do that have good connections with MLS teams.

Hope this helps... Good luck and its definitely do-able.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrezZone said:

Wadi Degla, Egypt

Before that, Zamalek, Egypt

A decent standard then, write to MLS & NASL clubs asking for a trial and explain that you previously were on the books at two professional Egyptian clubs. Join your college team too.

• Like 1

On 7.2.2018 at 17:26, Redouane said:

It's never too late, ask Vardy.

Plus i don't think there is as much competition in the US to become a pro, unlike other countries.

Dont you believe It!!..competition in all Sports is massive. And "soccer" is No fad.

Where in the US are you living? Did you come here legally? If not, you will have a very hard time convincing a college program to take a chance on you - unless you really are at an elite level. You will be very surprised by the level of the game between U16 and U19 here. In fact, I would argue it's just as good as the UK. If you weren't a stand out kid in the UK you won't be a stand out here. 

If you really are good and you are in and area that I have contacts in, I can have you watched.

I'm in the North East.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AndyElZorro said:

Where in the US are you living? Did you come here legally? If not, you will have a very hard time convincing a college program to take a chance on you - unless you really are at an elite level. You will be very surprised by the level of the game between U16 and U19 here. In fact, I would argue it's just as good as the UK. If you weren't a stand out kid in the UK you won't be a stand out here. 

If you really are good and you are in and area that I have contacts in, I can have you watched.

I'm in the North East.

Worrying......:whistle:

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2018 at 12:03, AndyElZorro said:

I'm in the North East.

Well I'm in North Carolina (legally) so I guess I'm a bit far. :P

4 hours ago, DrezZone said:

Well I'm in North Carolina (legally) so I guess I'm a bit far. :P

How about

North Carolina FC (USL)

Charlotte Independence (USL)

Charleston Battery (USL)

Richmond Kickers (USL)

Atlanta United 2 (USL)

East Carolina University (NCAA)

North Carolina State University (NCAA)

University of South Carolina Upstate (NCAA)

Duke University (NCAA)

Wake Forest University (NCAA)

Davidson College (NCAA)

There's also a lot of smaller NC and SC universities and colleges in the Big South Conference, Southern Conference and Colonial Athletic Association.

Make your presence felt during a summer tryout if they offer one. You are spoilt for options.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1