Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

Name a better option than puel

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Part of me is saying I want him gone. That just happens to be the same part of me that really wants to win £660.

In all seriousness I’m not sure if he is the right man to rebuild us and I’m aware I have no justification for that statement it is just a gut feeling.

That said, if we sacked him and ended up with some shite like Allardyce then we are a laughing stock.

Did you have a punt on him to be the next manager to be sacked @33/1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/04/15/rafa-benitez-needs-everything-right-signs-new-contract-newcastle/

Rafa Benitez will seek talks with Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley before committing his future to the club, after they secured the win over Arsenal that guarantees Premier League survival.

Ashley is keen to offer Benitez a new contract, but the Spaniard has had no interest in discussing one as he wants to ensure there is enough money to spend in the summer and a plan to overhaul the Academy and improve the training ground.

Benitez has done a fantastic job in his second full season at St James’ Park, lifting a team that is largely the same as the one that won promotion last year into the top half, one point below a far more expensively-assembled Everton squad.

Despite reports over the weekend claiming he has already committed to staying on for at least another year, Benitez has made no such promise and wants to ensure he is going to get the financial backing he needs to keep improving a side that has only lost to Manchester City and Liverpool in the league this year.

11 hours ago, Donut said:

Theyre also in their first year up though so have a huge incentive, just like our players did in winning the league. Id hazard a guess theyll drop off towards the end of the season.

A few weeks ago, Newcastle looked absolutely useless, couldnt score, couldnt win at home, it was the same situation except they were lower down the table.

I do think Rafa would be the natural choice if we did want another manager but i dont know, is he a realistic option? hes not realistic for Newcastle yet hes there somehow.

Yes pretty much this but I don't think they'll drop off. They genuinely have the chance to finish 8th.

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/04/15/rafa-benitez-needs-everything-right-signs-new-contract-newcastle/

Rafa Benitez will seek talks with Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley before committing his future to the club, after they secured the win over Arsenal that guarantees Premier League survival.

Ashley is keen to offer Benitez a new contract, but the Spaniard has had no interest in discussing one as he wants to ensure there is enough money to spend in the summer and a plan to overhaul the Academy and improve the training ground.

Benitez has done a fantastic job in his second full season at St James’ Park, lifting a team that is largely the same as the one that won promotion last year into the top half, one point below a far more expensively-assembled Everton squad.

Despite reports over the weekend claiming he has already committed to staying on for at least another year, Benitez has made no such promise and wants to ensure he is going to get the financial backing he needs to keep improving a side that has only lost to Manchester City and Liverpool in the league this year.

It's simple if Newcastle doesn't give him what he wants he's gone.

But he won't come here. Why would he when Chelsea, Arsenal if Wenger goes, or any other big club in Europe would give their right hand to have him?

Edited by ZeGuy

28 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Yes pretty much this but I don't think they'll drop off. They genuinely have the chance to finish 8th.

It's simple if Newcastle doesn't give him what he wants he's gone.

But he won't come here. Why would he when Chelsea, Arsenal if Wenger goes, or any other big club in Europe would give their right hand to have him?

Unlikely to go to Chelsea and Arsenal. I think we have a good chance not saying it's 100 percent guaranteed but if we sell him all the right points, I think we could get him.

We are on the up (stadium expansion 50,000, new training ground) etc

3 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Unlikely to go to Chelsea and Arsenal. I think we have a good chance not saying it's 100 percent guaranteed but if we sell him all the right points, I think we could get him.

We are on the up (stadium expansion 50,000, new training ground) etc

...and a history of sacking the manager every year, an ageing team and a good chunk of players to be either loaned or sold.

Of course he would come here.

• Like 1

Rafa Benitez is obviously a fantastic manager, having won the league twice in La Liga and the Champions League with Liverpool. He under performed at Real Madrid and Inter Milan, and I think should have done better in the league with Liverpool but he's clearly a great manager with a fantastic pedigree.

How Newcastle got him I don't know as he could very easily work for a top 5 club in most leagues.

1 minute ago, ZeGuy said:

...and a history of sacking the manager every year, an ageing team and a good chunk of players to be either loaned or sold.

Certain players have hit the mill yes! but we have a good core of players, and yes we have sacked managers pretty recently but I believe they all have been justified. I think Puel is okay but we can do better. If Rafa becomes available I think we should try and get him.

2 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Certain players have hit the mill yes! but we have a good core of players, and yes we have sacked managers pretty recently but I believe they all have been justified. I think Puel Rafa is okay but we can do better. If Rafa Guardiola becomes available I think we should try and get him.

There is absolutely nothing that could justify Puel's sacking. Nothing.

That what I'll read next year then.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

This.  I think this alone is reason enough to keep Puel on and give him at least another season (unless something catastrophic happens and we are in the bottom 3 come Christmas), along with the fact that I actually think he's done a pretty good job

If he turns out not to be for us at least we will know for sure and we will not have the stigma of being trigger happy with managers.

I understood all the sackings up until now, if we get rid of Puel in the summer I wont understand it

3 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

There is absolutely nothing that could justify Puel's sacking. Nothing.

That what I'll read next year then.

lol yeah, other than only winning about 5 matches in the last 17, shite football and him pissing the players off.

But yeah, nothing to justify it.

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

lol yeah, other than only winning about 5 matches in the last 17, shite football and him pissing the players off.

But yeah, nothing to justify it.

Yeah still nothing if you think in the long term.

• Like 1

Leicester City are at a pivotal crossroads; continue forward with Puel & give a new possession based approach to the way we play time or go back to what the current squad feels comfortable with, low possession & counter attacking. I believe we have to lean towards the former & allow Puel time. Why: 1. Most clubs know how to combat our counter attack style 2. We currently have several 1st team players reaching the back-end of their careers & we are for sure facing a summer of player transitions 3. The most important factor is to trust our owners, they are shrewd, savvy, successful & committed to improving & will have done a great deal of homework on Puel before appointing.  I really like the way Puel led through the Mahrez saga & is giving younger players playing chances. On the field results have been mixed & there is concern about how some of our players are adapting, but if you accept this summer will see several players come & go then next season should be one to look forward to. I also believe one of the issues currently facing the manager is player mentality, several of our established players appear to be sitting comfortable & digging-in, ie not willing to adapt. A key measure of Puel’s success will be how he manages through this by the time we hit August. Finally, imagine a situation where we have all players comfortable on the ball, we play at a high tempo & still have the savvy to play direct when the opportunity arises, that’s a future I’m hoping for.

• Like 1

Amazing irony from the lads touting Benitez. He'd have been gone from here by now if the ridiculously panicky pro-chop and change brigade in our fanbase had their way and we'd had the season Newcastle have had up until the last couple of weeks.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Lol, let's sack the manager after every defeat or boring game then.

That’s not what I’m saying, I’m just disproving your theory that everything is fine and the future is guaranteed.

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Amazing irony from the lads touting Benitez. He'd have been gone from here by now if the ridiculously panicky pro-chop and change brigade in our fanbase had their way and we'd had the season Newcastle have had up until the last couple of weeks.

You would argue with a better team we would be in the Top 6.

4 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I wouldn’t say I’m pro chop and change, what I would say is I am concerned that Puel isn’t the man to rebuild. 

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

That’s not what I’m saying, I’m just disproving your theory that everything is fine and the future is guaranteed.

Nope, I said that there is nothing that could justify his sacking which is a big difference.

23 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Yeah still nothing if you think in the long term.

Ok, I clearly exaggerated the “future is guaranteed” bit but that does suggest you think things will get better. I don’t agree.

31 minutes ago, Turbogre said:

Leicester City are at a pivotal crossroads; continue forward with Puel & give a new possession based approach to the way we play time or go back to what the current squad feels comfortable with, low possession & counter attacking. I believe we have to lean towards the former & allow Puel time. Why: 1. Most clubs know how to combat our counter attack style 2. We currently have several 1st team players reaching the back-end of their careers & we are for sure facing a summer of player transitions 3. The most important factor is to trust our owners, they are shrewd, savvy, successful & committed to improving & will have done a great deal of homework on Puel before appointing.  I really like the way Puel led through the Mahrez saga & is giving younger players playing chances. On the field results have been mixed & there is concern about how some of our players are adapting, but if you accept this summer will see several players come & go then next season should be one to look forward to. I also believe one of the issues currently facing the manager is player mentality, several of our established players appear to be sitting comfortable & digging-in, ie not willing to adapt. A key measure of Puel’s success will be how he manages through this by the time we hit August. Finally, imagine a situation where we have all players comfortable on the ball, we play at a high tempo & still have the savvy to play direct when the opportunity arises, that’s a future I’m hoping for.

They are not the only two options though. Claude Puel is not the only manager that can coach possession based football.

If he fails, it's not because the plan is wrong, it's because the man is wrong.

I believe the decision to change our style has come from higher than the manager. No matter what happens this summer in regards to the manager, that evolution in style will continue.

3 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

If that's all true then maybe it isn't impossible. Highly unlikely, still, but not impossible.

34 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I didn't read the forum for days after Newcastle, and haven't written since before that. I can recommend doing that at some point to each and every one of you. 

I'd just like to share one insight that I got from a Burnley fan on the train back to Manchester. He said that they've not been pinned back like that in a very long time, and he was amazed they held on. He didn't even try and suggest they deserved the win, and was very impressed by us, other than our finishing. 

The beginning was an utter disaster, of course. I'm not entirely sure how the manager can be held to account for such basic errors by experienced league winning players. It seems to me that some / a lot / all of the old guard need thanking and sending on their way now. 

Agree on accountability but he is accountable for selecting players who keep making mistakes. If Morgan starts again it shows Puel has no authority