Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

Name a better option than puel

54 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I didn't read the forum for days after Newcastle, and haven't written since before that. I can recommend doing that at some point to each and every one of you. 

I'd just like to share one insight that I got from a Burnley fan on the train back to Manchester. He said that they've not been pinned back like that in a very long time, and he was amazed they held on. He didn't even try and suggest they deserved the win, and was very impressed by us, other than our finishing. 

The beginning was an utter disaster, of course. I'm not entirely sure how the manager can be held to account for such basic errors by experienced league winning players. It seems to me that some / a lot / all of the old guard need thanking and sending on their way now. 

The Puel out brigade would say its his fault for picking them in the first place (which is a nonsense argument if you have any idea of how a football club works)

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

I believe the decision to change our style has come from higher than the manager. No matter what happens this summer in regards to the manager, that evolution in style will continue.

The fact we bought Puel in says you are right. Only a mad man would have bought in a manager at the opposite end of the scale to us. Unless you intended to stick with it.

I suppose at the moment we could revert back. But after the summer it would be an expensive about turn.

43 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

Agree on accountability but he is accountable for selecting players who keep making mistakes. If Morgan starts again it shows Puel has no authority 

I’d tend to agree, however if he has no intention of signing Dragovic in the summer, he’s right to stick with Morgan. Dropping Morgan could cause a few issues in the dressing room and they would be justified if he wants Dragovic long term, but if Puel has other targets and wants to keep Morgan as a squad player for next season, it’s hassle that isn’t worth causing in the long run. We know he’s trying to implement his style and that’s going to take time but losing the dressing room while getting poor results adapting the team could well see him on his way early next season, and we’re back to square one. 

Let’s look how we line up early next season and then judge his team selection. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Ok, I clearly exaggerated the “future is guaranteed” bit but that does suggest you think things will get better. I don’t agree.

I do think things will get better. Once he'll get his players, the rest will follow. The transition to another style of play is never easy and takes more than one season.

Sacking him now would be an enormous mistake, since it sends us back to square one and will give a very negative image of the club. Especially when you know that the most problematic players won't start next season.

But you're absolutely free to disagree.

Edited by ZeGuy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I didn't read the forum for days after Newcastle, and haven't written since before that. I can recommend doing that at some point to each and every one of you. 

I'd just like to share one insight that I got from a Burnley fan on the train back to Manchester. He said that they've not been pinned back like that in a very long time, and he was amazed they held on. He didn't even try and suggest they deserved the win, and was very impressed by us, other than our finishing. 

The beginning was an utter disaster, of course. I'm not entirely sure how the manager can be held to account for such basic errors by experienced league winning players. It seems to me that some / a lot / all of the old guard need thanking and sending on their way now. 

Very good post. The second half performance was so encouraging. Puel has earned himself another bite at the cherry i think for next season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

But we are allowing him to bow out with a whimper in case it upsets any of the poor lads who love Wes?

Assuming you were replying to me... did you read into what I said? 

Managing a squad of professional footballers isn’t as easy as picking your best 11. Especially when it’s a squad you’ve inherited mid-season that doesn’t suit the style of play he ultimately wants us to adapt to. 

Anyway, he’s no Franz Beckenbauer but he’s not the complete donkey some people make out. I do hope it’s his last season as a guaranteed starter but he’s not the sole reason we’ve been as poor as we have been. Vardy could’ve buried one or two of the chances that he missed on Saturday and I can’t see anyone blaming him for us losing 2-1, and rightly so. At the minute it’s been a mixture of poor team selection, poor performances, not having the players for our system and a bit of bad luck thrown in. Wes will know the score and I’m sure he won’t be too pleased with his performances. 

• Like 1

It's time for this man....

nintchdbpict000240659196.jpg?strip=all&w

In all seriousness I actually have full faith in Puel.  Despite what some people think I personally can see the (albeit slow) improvements in some areas and I think with a full transfer window we will really see the benefits.  I love you Claude.  X

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

I do think things will get better. Once he'll get his players, the rest will follow. The transition to another style of play is never easy and takes more than one season.

Sacking him now would be an enormous mistake, since it sends us back to square one and will give a very negative image of the club. Especially when you know that the most problematic players won't start next season.

But you're absolutely free to disagree.

so you think once he brings in his forgien targets, we are suddenly going to become unplayable.. high unlikely.

We have 2 players who on there day would get in to any Prem team, one is on his way out probably the player Puel would want to stay most.

How would it be an enormous mistake? we have a whole summer to put it right... letting him bring in his own players and then sitting at the bottom of the league next season then replacing (See Sven) would be an enormous mistake.

So clear out key players who have got us to where we are now and bring in a load of unknowns who are suddenly going to gel over night and become unplayable in the Puel style of football. 

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

so you think once he brings in his forgien targets, we are suddenly going to become unplayable.. high unlikely.

We have 2 players who on there day would get in to any Prem team, one is on his way out probably the player Puel would want to stay most.

How would it be an enormous mistake? we have a whole summer to put it right... letting him bring in his own players and then sitting at the bottom of the league next season then replacing (See Sven) would be an enormous mistake.

So clear out key players who have got us to where we are now and bring in a load of unknowns who are suddenly going to gel over night and become unplayable in the Puel style of football. 

We had a whole summer last summer.  Ended up with Shakey

2 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

This is pure speculation, but the delay with him signing the contract could well have been due to us looking at other candidates and failing to garner interest

We could do a lot worse than Puel

Possibly could have been the case.

We could do a lot better as well each to there own.

3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Agree with all of this. I'll also add that when I was walking out of the ground on Saturday and Burnley fan said to me "you were very very unlucky today".

I trust a man with Puel's history and CV than our players. We were shit first half on Saturday but how many chances, good chances, did we create? Mahrez header straight at the keeper and Vardy missed two good chances. We should have gone in 2-1, maybe even 2-2.

I was reading a list of the players Claude has coached. It's daft. He has a good track record of developing players. In a complete unrelated article to Leicester, Thierry Henry credited Claude with how he encouraged him to do extra training/fitness work. This led to his athlete physique which gave him the edge to his game. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

Assuming you were replying to me... did you read into what I said? 

Managing a squad of professional footballers isn’t as easy as picking your best 11. Especially when it’s a squad you’ve inherited mid-season that doesn’t suit the style of play he ultimately wants us to adapt to. 

Anyway, he’s no Franz Beckenbauer but he’s not the complete donkey some people make out. I do hope it’s his last season as a guaranteed starter but he’s not the sole reason we’ve been as poor as we have been. Vardy could’ve buried one or two of the chances that he missed on Saturday and I can’t see anyone blaming him for us losing 2-1, and rightly so. At the minute it’s been a mixture of poor team selection, poor performances, not having the players for our system and a bit of bad luck thrown in. Wes will know the score and I’m sure he won’t be too pleased with his performances. 

I was replying to you but not aiming my reply directly to you in any kind of jibe. What I was trying to say (quite badly) is Morgan being kept in sends the wrong message in terms of Puels authority. If it upsets players then they probably aren’t worth keeping  to be honest. Who is going to be sitting in the changing room saying oh Wes  you’ve been amazing how could he drop you...?  Puel has nothing to lose now by dropping him. In fact it would tell him a bit more about the characters he might be working with next season if they get upset 

36 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I was reading a list of the players Claude has coached. It's daft. He has a good track record of developing players. In a complete unrelated article to Leicester, Thierry Henry credited Claude with how he encouraged him to do extra training/fitness work. This led to his athlete physique which gave him the edge to his game. 

I heard it was him that encouraged beard glitter as well though so swings and roundabouts.

Edited by Costock_Fox

17 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

I was replying to you but not aiming my reply directly to you in any kind of jibe. What I was trying to say (quite badly) is Morgan being kept in sends the wrong message in terms of Puels authority. If it upsets players then they probably aren’t worth keeping  to be honest. Who is going to be sitting in the changing room saying oh Wes  you’ve been amazing how could he drop you...?  Puel has nothing to lose now by dropping him. In fact it would tell him a bit more about the characters he might be working with next season if they get upset 

It wasn’t taken as a jibe at all :thumbup:

I don’t disagree with you, I’m playing devils advocat and looking at it from a different point of view. If Morgan was anyone else I’m sure he’d have been dropped and it would be justifiable to do so. I’m looking at it through Puels point of view rather than a supporters and trying to find reason in the decisions he’s making. After all, we didn’t do any worse with Dragovic playing did we, but if he’s not in Puels plans it wouldn’t make sense to play him either. Let’s hope we have a decent summer and get the players we need! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeGuy said:

Yeah I do. (note: my answer is as serious as your hyperbole).

Without a 10 Vardy is cut off from the midfield.

Without overlapping FBs all we can do is cross and hope.

Without a pair CBs and FBs (I don't mean Maguire obviously) comfortable on the ball we can't build from the back.

We started well under Puel and surprised our opponents by the putting the ball on the fcking floor, for a change, stringing a bit more than 2 passes together and actually playing football. That's what you impatient "Puel Out" Brigade seem to forget.

That's why the opponent now just sits deep, blocks the midfield and force us to play wide so they can dwarf our goal chances as Vardy is never going to win a header. Something they won't be able to do anymore if we get the FBs with a decent cross ability to the corner line and a 10 who provides something else aside from running like a madman and falling over his fcking arse most of the game.

He didn't take us down whilst getting this bunch to play decent football and now we'll sit at the bottom once he brings his players? Lol, okay.

Take off your nostalgic specs and get over it. 2015/16 is over. We ain't a big club yet and you're not going to sign any star. Mahrez is on his way out, Kanté's long gone. Bar Vardy, the rest is replaceable. All. Of. Them. That's to answer your grossly exaggerated hypothesis, because he's certainly not going to get rid of Chilwell, Albrighton, Ndidi, Gray, Maguire or Nacho.

Bunch of unknown? How would you know and even then, why not? Who knew Kanté or Mahrez? Or did you plan to sign Ancelotti, Messi, Chiellini and Lichtsteiner in the summer?

If you took the time to educate yourself you'd have seen that he's known to be very shrewd when it comes to signings: Hazard, Lichtsteiner (Lille) Bastos or Lisandro Lopez (Lyon) to name a few.

But no, better fuel the collective hysteria and call for his head.

Last season it was all about playing on the counter attack due to our previous campaign win (see Chelsea) now because Man City are starting to pass it around like Barca and Puel promotes that kind of football you all of a sudden think we are going to become them next season and jump on the hyperbole possession game bandwagon, again highly unlikely. 

Maybe instead of trying to ask players to play out of there boundaries or taking risks with other players his results may have been a lot better than the current 4 wins in 16, as someone else pointed out bad management, who's to say he gets his players next year and they perform just as bad then what? 

so all of sudden we are going to clear out the whole squad apart from Vardy because there all replaceable and give the knight hood to Puel come off it. 

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1