Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

Name a better option than puel

3 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

So in 19 pages, we've come up with Benitez who won't come here and a few random managers wot have managed big clubs in Europe.

Puel in.

In fairness no one thought he would go to Newcastle, he is being touted around as a replacement for Wenger but he is like a fart in a spacesuit just wont go away, so that leaves us, bingo.

If Benitez gets the money for players he’s asking for, he will stay at Newcastle.

Newcastle could be a massive club. The ground, the infrastructure, the attendances, the fanatical support... he knows that if he can achieve anything there, he’ll be adored.

Rafa is shrewd and knows that he’s building something at Newcastle but that this summer is when the funds must be made available to really kick-on. If he doesn’t get what he feels he needs, he’ll walk. 

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

I have my reservations about Puel as opposed to other managers because I recently read upon his history with clubs in France (Lille, Lyon and Nice), which doesn't shed a too sympathetic light on his persona and his approach to football.

That's just me, though.

As much as some of the names mentioned in this thread are clearly "dreamland" suggestions, who says they wouldn't come here and why is it that I get the feeling that every time somebody is making a sensible suggestion as opposed to Puel, it's put down with the "why can't you be arsed to give Puel the chance to do that?". Speaking of implementing new systems, that's what you do in pre-season, not during a season.

Football is based on results, and at the current rate, we're looking likely to drop down to 10th (or even lower). No time for sentiment there. I would like Puel to stay so he can really show off what his vision and strategy is, but he's also brought it onto himself with our style of play as of late and the change thereof.

Look, I don't like swapping managers every half year or so, and clearly the owners aren't a fan of it, either. But with dire football on show, us caught in a rut with four wins in 16 and "negativity" and discontent among the fanbase growing (my perception), it's not hard to put two and two together.

And who knows? Maybe we need a sportive shock to set priorities right again. Right now, everything that made us so good and so feared in the league has pretty much evaporated. It did so to an extent under Ranieri and Shakespeare and has now somewhat reached its peak under Puel.

It's fair that you have reservations on Puel, but it's the adamant Puel out brigade I have contempt for. His main task was to stabilise us and steer us to safety with a long-term view of how he's going to change the team. Whilst he's putting far too much faith in the likes of Morgan and Simpson, he's been working with the side since October. Surely, he's got an idea of what to do in the summer, who to sign, who to sell, who to build his team around. Why tear that up just because we won't qualify for Europe?

It's been a very underwhelming couple of months, but we're in no danger. If we sack him because we've finished behind Burnley and have had a few boring draws at home then we're back to square one. Unless we get battered every game until the end of the season, then sacking Puel before giving him a chance would be more embarrassing than sacking Ranieri and Shakespeare. 

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

If Benitez gets the money for players he’s asking for, he will stay at Newcastle.

Newcastle could be a massive club. The ground, the infrastructure, the attendances, the fanatical support... he knows that if he can achieve anything there, he’ll be adored.

Rafa is shrewd and knows that he’s building something at Newcastle but that this summer is when the funds must be made available to really kick-on. If he doesn’t get what he feels he needs, he’ll walk. 

Shame they've got an owner who runs a company (not NUFC) that mistreats their staff and one who is hesitant to spend money on the football side of the club.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

On 16/04/2018 at 10:45, HighPeakFox said:

I didn't read the forum for days after Newcastle, and haven't written since before that. I can recommend doing that at some point to each and every one of you. 

I'd just like to share one insight that I got from a Burnley fan on the train back to Manchester. He said that they've not been pinned back like that in a very long time, and he was amazed they held on. He didn't even try and suggest they deserved the win, and was very impressed by us, other than our finishing. 

The beginning was an utter disaster, of course. I'm not entirely sure how the manager can be held to account for such basic errors by experienced league winning players. It seems to me that some / a lot / all of the old guard need thanking and sending on their way now. 

I just watched the highlights on the OS and thought it was a different match from the one described in such a pessimistic way by many on FT.  Apart from the first 20 we looked brilliant, great style of play, many slick and incisive passing moves, and many chances that would have gone in on another day. Even though it was helped by Burnley sitting on their lead, we were slicing through one of the best defences in the division.

I certainly thought it was promising in terms of the style he wants to evolve with us, and gives me grounds for optimism after a summer transfer window and pre-season.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, deep blue said:

I just watched the highlights on the OS and thought it was a different match from the one described in such a pessimistic way by many on FT.  Apart from the first 20 we looked brilliant, great style of play, many slick and incisive passing moves, and many chances that would have gone in on another day. Even though it was helped by Burnley sitting on their lead, we were slicing through one of the best defences in the division.

I certainly thought it was promising in terms of the style he wants to evolve with us, and gives me grounds for optimism after a summer transfer window and pre-season.

Exactly. Which rather backs up my feeling that people are really only bored/frustrated with us losing/not winning, rather than our play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4everfox said:

I'm not deluded, my glass is just half full as opposed to your half empty one. 

There's a difference between optimism and living in a fantasy world.

You said, "WE ARE A BIG EUROPEAN CLUB" or something similar. I don't really think I have to say anything else.

On 16/04/2018 at 10:45, HighPeakFox said:

I didn't read the forum for days after Newcastle, and haven't written since before that. I can recommend doing that at some point to each and every one of you. 

I'd just like to share one insight that I got from a Burnley fan on the train back to Manchester. He said that they've not been pinned back like that in a very long time, and he was amazed they held on. He didn't even try and suggest they deserved the win, and was very impressed by us, other than our finishing. 

The beginning was an utter disaster, of course. I'm not entirely sure how the manager can be held to account for such basic errors by experienced league winning players. It seems to me that some / a lot / all of the old guard need thanking and sending on their way now. 

Good to have you back Peaky as your posts are always considered and insightful. Even when you are being pedantic I quite like it! lol

Sorry but not sure I can take you up on your recommendation to have a break from the forum as it's too addictive and I can't get by without my daily fix.

Edited by Blue Fox 72

16 hours ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Good to have you back Peaky as your posts are always considered and insightful. Even when you are being pedantic I quite like it! lol

Sorry but not sure I can take you up on your recommendation to have a break from the forum as it's too addictive and I can't get by without my daily fix.

Indeed, I too like having ‘Peaky’ back.

I always find it makes me feel better when reading posts that are intellectually inferior to my own.

:P

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

There's a difference between optimism and living in a fantasy world.

You said, "WE ARE A BIG EUROPEAN CLUB" or something similar. I don't really think I have to say anything else.

Well that's just how you perceive it, but we are literally the 5th most successful club in the country this decade. If that doesn't make Leicester a big club in the eyes of our own fans, nothing will. 

16 hours ago, 4everfox said:

Well that's just how you perceive it, but we are literally the 5th most successful club in the country this decade. If that doesn't make Leicester a big club in the eyes of our own fans, nothing will. 

That's a skewed view of reality, manipulating figures so they fit your own fact (or bias).

Where does it say that we are the 5th most successful club in the country in this decade?

Besides, the decade isn't over yet!

We've become bigger over recent years, but it's hard to argue against the fact that apart from the other four league title winners, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, Newcastle, Everton, Southampton plus West Ham or even some clubs in the Championship are "bigger" than us in some aspects (Leeds, Sunderland, Villa, Sheffield Wednesday).

8 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

That's a skewed view of reality, manipulating figures so they fit your own fact (or bias).

Where does it say that we are the 5th most successful club in the country in this decade?

Besides, the decade isn't over yet!

We've become bigger over recent years, but it's hard to argue against the fact that apart from the other four league title winners, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, Newcastle, Everton, Southampton plus West Ham or even some clubs in the Championship are "bigger" than us in some aspects (Leeds, Sunderland, Villa, Sheffield Wednesday).

Edited by hackneyfox

19 hours ago, 4everfox said:

On the back of one season... you could look at it we were the most successful club for one season and then flirted with the relegation or floundered in the championship for 8 of the other 9.

20 hours ago, 4everfox said:

we know what we are, we know what we are ...... etc etc

we certainly aren't a 'big European club'.  we will never be anything other than a 'one season wonder', a freak, unless we manage a cup win or to qualify for Europe within the next two seasons. then we can try and move our profile onwards and upwards.