Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

Name a better option than puel

18 hours ago, ramaiya2 said:

Nigel Pearson

Rafa Benitez

Arsen Wenger

Sean Dyche

Antonio Conte

Diego Simeone

Can we get any of these guys? Next season it is unlikely that we will have Mahrez

We are currently in relegation form but have amassed enough points this season to not go down. I am just NOT confident for next season. 

NP knows the club and built a great team with a great spirit.

RB knows how to Manage at the top level and if he had money to spend then the sky s the limit

AWhas done it consistently with Arsenal and not spent that silly amounts (but can we get him, only if Arsenal either sack him or he leaves) 

SD will be in Europe next season so is unlikely to leave 

AC (Will he come) Maybe if Chelsea sack him which they most likely will 

DS (Will he leave Athletico to come to the Premiership)

This made my day. Thanks for the good laugh.

• Like 2

Personally actually think yesterdays result was a blessing in disguise for the long term. The EL is no where near as coveted as the CL, boro an Fulham have made a final of it an aren't even now in PL. The extra time of training an playing on Saturday rather than Sunday gives us a far higher likelihood of a higher PL finish next season.

10 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

If Puel does go and this discussion all becomes serious then there's no way we can factor in giving a manager time. That's history for us.

I really don't know why we offer three-year deals (if that is what Puel is on). There was no way Shakespeare was going to last three years and it was hardly like we were staving off lots of interest. Waste of money in paying off nearly all of his contract.

I've accepted that we'll go through a few managers and a bad start/ finish will probably see a change. We were slaughtered for sacking Ranieri in February but if he'd finished 5th/6th the year before he'd have gone before Christmas 2016.

If Puel doesn't go in the summer, it will be around October unless he gets a good start.

13 hours ago, Donut said:

The sad thing is, this is true.

Normally when you try and change things, theres a period of going backwards before you move forwards. With Puel, weve moved forwards and changed things, and people STILL want him out.

I totally get the style of play hasnt worked consistently yet, some games havent been good either

Id seriously, seriously urge everyone to be more patient. It really wouldnt take much for us to end up in a relegation battle again. Chopping and changing will simply not work unless all the subsequent managers share the same philosophies.

I agree with this. It's hard to defend us at the minute because of the way we've played in a lot of games (and defended, worryingly) but I want to think if he can make some significant changes here, that he can get us to really click as a team.

Said it in another thread, but if we sack Puel, then those making the decisions have proven themselves clueless as far as I'm concerned. The issues we are having really weren't that hard to see coming when we appointed him. If we haven't accounted for them, then there are some serious delusions of grandeur at the club.

I don't follow European football beyond big CL games, but they'll be plenty of Pochettinos out there

If Mike Ashley is up to his usual tricks, dangle our presumably massive transfer budget in front of Benitez

Wagner has done a great job & now Huddersfield are as good as safe his 'journey' with them is arguably over

Marco Silva is available (we should've gone for him at the time I thought)

Howe delivers time after time, and plays good football

There's loads of options, I'd put Puel down as the worst of those I've mentioned

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corky said:

I really don't know why we offer three-year deals (if that is what Puel is on). There was no way Shakespeare was going to last three years and it was hardly like we were staving off lots of interest. Waste of money in paying off nearly all of his contract.

I've accepted that we'll go through a few managers and a bad start/ finish will probably see a change. We were slaughtered for sacking Ranieri in February but if he'd finished 5th/6th the year before he'd have gone before Christmas 2016.

If Puel doesn't go in the summer, it will be around October unless he gets a good start.

I can't accept it. It's a completely flawed approach and all it'll do is prolong an inevitable relegation. For us to be any good at this level, we need to have a proper structure, to be efficient with our money, to have a discernible way of playing and to not be overly sentimental.

We are doing none of those things. For me, we are largely being propelled by Vardy and Mahrez. They're the difference between where we are and this shoddy bottom half scramble.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cc_star said:

I don't follow European football beyond big CL games, but they'll be plenty of Pochettinos out there

If Mike Ashley is up to his usual tricks, dangle our presumably massive transfer budget in front of Benitez

Wagner has done a great job & now Huddersfield are as good as safe his 'journey' with them is arguably over

Marco Silva is available (we should've gone for him at the time I thought)

Howe delivers time after time, and plays good football

There's loads of options, I'd put Puel down as the worst of those I've mentioned

I'd have Benitez here, I just can't see why it will happen though.

He's got a fantastic rapport with their fans, to the point he'll need an excellent offer to leave them (unless Ashley really does screw it up) and are we really excellent now? We're not a bigger club than Newcastle. We're richer, but we're not bigger.

I just don't think he'd come here. If the job does become available then surely managers are going to look at us as a dangerous job to take, a poisoned chalice even, where the expectations are out of line with what's realistically going to be achieved.

Benitez has still got a big reputation in the game. I think someone bigger would get him in than us.

I don't want to slag us off too much as we've got a fair bit going for us, but we're going to be viewed as a risk I think.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I can't accept it. It's a completely flawed approach and all it'll do is prolong an inevitable relegation. For us to be any good at this level, we need to have a proper structure, to be efficient with our money, to have a discernible way of playing and to not be overly sentimental.

We are doing none of those things. For me, we are largely being propelled by Vardy and Mahrez. They're the difference between where we are and this shoddy bottom half scramble.

Youre spot on, and we dont have it.

Look at what Howe has built at Bournemouth. that has taken patience, its taken an acceptance of poor spells. its taken the odd thumping or mistakes from his players, and its come with almost ZERO pressure from the fans. But what he has installed is a clear philosophy for the medium term of Bournemouth.

We dont have any kind of philosophy. We are trying to build one, to stop looking BACKWARDS all the time. Lets go BACK to Pearson, lets go BACK to old tactics, BACK BACK BACK.

We will chop and change managers looking for something thats not there is we arent very, very careful, whilst ruining the chance of Puel, or whoever, building something more long term. Short termism will leave you with a squad with a blend that isnt ideal, boom and bust performances and a sense that the fan base doesnt know where we are heading.

Shakespeare was doing that himself. Signed some decent technical players and proceeded to play a dreadful style. Absolutely no plan whatsoever.

Thats why im so wary of swapping the manager. It simply will not make all the problems go away

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Don’t think anyone genuinely wants him out we need to give him the summer to sort his own team out 

I guininely want him out. And its time to say so. He has failed the audition.

He is not the one. .  We dont want to waste time and money on the players he can persuade 

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I guininely want him out. And its time to say so. He has failed the audition.

He is not the one. .  We dont want to waste time and money on the players he can persuade 

How can you say he’s not the one and then admit he hasn’t had chance to sign his own players? No one can possibly know 

5 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

Personally actually think yesterdays result was a blessing in disguise for the long term. The EL is no where near as coveted as the CL, boro an Fulham have made a final of it an aren't even now in PL. The extra time of training an playing on Saturday rather than Sunday gives us a far higher likelihood of a higher PL finish next season.

A blessing that we don't finish higher in the league and qualify for Europe?  So what would be the point of a higher finish next season?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Donut said:

Youre spot on, and we dont have it.

Look at what Howe has built at Bournemouth. that has taken patience, its taken an acceptance of poor spells. its taken the odd thumping or mistakes from his players, and its come with almost ZERO pressure from the fans. But what he has installed is a clear philosophy for the medium term of Bournemouth.

We dont have any kind of philosophy. We are trying to build one, to stop looking BACKWARDS all the time. Lets go BACK to Pearson, lets go BACK to old tactics, BACK BACK BACK.

We will chop and change managers looking for something thats not there is we arent very, very careful, whilst ruining the chance of Puel, or whoever, building something more long term. Short termism will leave you with a squad with a blend that isnt ideal, boom and bust performances and a sense that the fan base doesnt know where we are heading.

Shakespeare was doing that himself. Signed some decent technical players and proceeded to play a dreadful style. Absolutely no plan whatsoever.

Thats why im so wary of swapping the manager. It simply will not make all the problems go away

Ironic that you mention Pearson because funnily enough I think it's kind of the reason people want him back. Regardless of if you liked him or his football, you couldn't argue the year on year progression, the efficiency with money (save a couple of errors), the squad harmony, the ability we had to pull it out of the bag when it really mattered.

He had this 'structure' I keep talking about.

The structure however, should come from above the manager, because as soon as that manager goes, in a footballing culture now where there are many reasons a manager can go, it's risky and unsustainable.

If we have that 'structure' and want to play a more possession-based game, integrating younger players, then stick with Puel. It isn't working lately and it's hard to be confident it'll work, but it's been far from a disaster and there's really not that much to judge him off in the grand scheme of things. He's spent about £2mil.

But if we sack him, it'll prove to me, once again, that they don't really have a clue what they actually want.

Part of me is saying I want him gone. That just happens to be the same part of me that really wants to win £660.

In all seriousness I’m not sure if he is the right man to rebuild us and I’m aware I have no justification for that statement it is just a gut feeling.

That said, if we sacked him and ended up with some shite like Allardyce then we are a laughing stock.

5 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Ironic that you mention Pearson because funnily enough I think it's kind of the reason people want him back. Regardless of if you liked him or his football, you couldn't argue the year on year progression, the efficiency with money (save a couple of errors), the squad harmony, the ability we had to pull it out of the bag when it really mattered.

He had this 'structure' I keep talking about.

The structure however, should come from above the manager, because as soon as that manager goes, in a footballing culture now where there are many reasons a manager can go, it's risky and unsustainable.

If we have that 'structure' and want to play a more possession-based game, integrating younger players, then stick with Puel. It isn't working lately and it's hard to be confident it'll work, but it's been far from a disaster and there's really not that much to judge him off in the grand scheme of things. He's spent about £2mil.

But if we sack him, it'll prove to me, once again, that they don't really have a clue what they actually want.

Oh 100% Pearson brings a structure and its exactly what we need at the club.

Problem comes when the board replace Puel for someone like Pearson, or vice versa. Its chalk and cheese. the manager has to come in and undo the previous managers ideas, then put his own over.

Thats what Puel is doing now, and its been a hard process.

Clubs like Watford can do well, but the manager there seems a much smaller piece in the overall picture. A lot of fans want a manager to be omnipotent......he needs FULL control of recruitment, FULL control over scouting, FULL control over training..........he is everything.

I doubt thats how many clubs are operating these days, but where they succeed is they still have a philosophy of picking up cheap talent, mostly from abroad but theyve become a little more English, improving them, moving them on, playing a decent enough style, not really a passing side although the Watford fan might be able to say im wrong there, but theyve got enough talent to compliment a hard working backbone.

Weve just got nothing at the moment.

Im going to have to duck behind a table when i say this, but our fans SEEM (no categorical way of proving this) but they SEEM to be some of the most resistant to change i think anywhere, with the exception of clubs who have a "way"....like West Ham and theyre certainly no example of a good fan base.

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Part of me is saying I want him gone. That just happens to be the same part of me that really wants to win £660.

In all seriousness I’m not sure if he is the right man to rebuild us and I’m aware I have no justification for that statement it is just a gut feeling.

That said, if we sacked him and ended up with some shite like Allardyce then we are a laughing stock.

Is that not what people want though?

A manager who likes direct football and builds the philosophy around being direct?

10 minutes ago, Donut said:

Is that not what people want though?

A manager who likes direct football and builds the philosophy around being direct?

I can’t speak for everyone but that certainly isn’t what I want.

I want a manager to set us up in a way that we play as a team and adapt to situations. To come out fired up and fight because we undoubtedly have the quality within our team. 

I know it’s unrealistic to get Rafa but that Newcastle team reminded me so much of the old us last week, that period where they won 5 50/50s in a row while we had players pull out of challenges left right and centre said it all. Rafa has been working with a complete shambles up there and yet he’s built a team.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I can’t speak for everyone but that certainly isn’t what I want.

I want a manager to set us up in a way that we play as a team and adapt to situations. To come out fired up and fight because we undoubtedly have the quality within our team. 

I know it’s unrealistic to get Rafa but that Newcastle team reminded me so much of the old us last week, that period where they won 5 50/50s in a row while we had players pull out of challenges left right and centre said it all. Rafa has been working with a complete shambles up there and yet he’s built a team.

Theyre also in their first year up though so have a huge incentive, just like our players did in winning the league. Id hazard a guess theyll drop off towards the end of the season.

A few weeks ago, Newcastle looked absolutely useless, couldnt score, couldnt win at home, it was the same situation except they were lower down the table.

I do think Rafa would be the natural choice if we did want another manager but i dont know, is he a realistic option? hes not realistic for Newcastle yet hes there somehow.

4 minutes ago, Donut said:

Theyre also in their first year up though so have a huge incentive, just like our players did in winning the league. Id hazard a guess theyll drop off towards the end of the season.

A few weeks ago, Newcastle looked absolutely useless, couldnt score, couldnt win at home, it was the same situation except they were lower down the table.

I do think Rafa would be the natural choice if we did want another manager but i dont know, is he a realistic option? hes not realistic for Newcastle yet hes there somehow.

I don’t think it’s realistic as managers like this only need to re prove themselves once before getting another chance at a higher level. Also, we reached the absolute ceiling a few years ago and as a result our expectations are completely ****ed, mine included. 7th for us is now the minimum expectation and history tells us that’s crazy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Donut said:

Oh 100% Pearson brings a structure and its exactly what we need at the club.

Problem comes when the board replace Puel for someone like Pearson, or vice versa. Its chalk and cheese. the manager has to come in and undo the previous managers ideas, then put his own over.

Thats what Puel is doing now, and its been a hard process.

Clubs like Watford can do well, but the manager there seems a much smaller piece in the overall picture. A lot of fans want a manager to be omnipotent......he needs FULL control of recruitment, FULL control over scouting, FULL control over training..........he is everything.

I doubt thats how many clubs are operating these days, but where they succeed is they still have a philosophy of picking up cheap talent, mostly from abroad but theyve become a little more English, improving them, moving them on, playing a decent enough style, not really a passing side although the Watford fan might be able to say im wrong there, but theyve got enough talent to compliment a hard working backbone.

Weve just got nothing at the moment.

Im going to have to duck behind a table when i say this, but our fans SEEM (no categorical way of proving this) but they SEEM to be some of the most resistant to change i think anywhere, with the exception of clubs who have a "way"....like West Ham and theyre certainly no example of a good fan base.

Ours are resistant to it because playing that way brought about the best sporting story of all time. So I think that's got to be expected somewhat.

It's also hard to convince people to think about it differently because so far, we've not got loads of evidence that it's even going to work for us. We look sublime at times, but useless at others.

I just think too many hearts are ruling heads here, but to be honest I've gotten a bit fed up of looking back to 2015/16 and using that as the basis for us to go forward because we're missing the key man that made it all work. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I think if you take Kante out of that side, we come about 7th.

A lot of the players from that season just haven't performed since, for varying reasons. If you spend all your time looking back you become Nottingham Forest. We need to reinvent ourselves now. We aren't a giant of the game. We've got to think outside the box again. We've got to do something that separates us from the others of our size. It's the only way we'll ever crack the top six again, not by changing your manager every 9 months.

• Like 2