Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

Thinking about Tiger I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on regional variations on ale keeping. I've always found pints in Leicestershire and north to be slightly creamier and less hoppy/bitter, which I really like. In E. Anglia they tend to be ale-ier, by which I mean very slightly tangier and thinner, and almost always without a head. 

18 minutes ago, bovril said:

Thinking about Tiger I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on regional variations on ale keeping. I've always found pints in Leicestershire and north to be slightly creamier and less hoppy/bitter, which I really like. In E. Anglia they tend to be ale-ier, by which I mean very slightly tangier and thinner, and almost always without a head. 

I definitely agree with that. I spend a lot of time in Norfolk and their ale is as you describe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bovril said:

Pride in and around London I find tends to pour almost flat but it tastes much better there than anywhere else I’ve tried it. I absolutely love Fullers beers. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, bovril said:

There is historical regional variation in regards to 'head' on beer and it stems from levels of affluence to a degree. 

There is also a variation in certain types of beer depending on whether places use sparklers or not, again regional. 

https://www.wineenthusiast.com/culture/beer/sparkler-cask-ale/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I definitely agree with that. I spend a lot of time in Norfolk and their ale is as you describe.

I like the E. Anglia type of ales out of a bottle, like especially a stronger one in winter at home or something like that. But if I'm down the pub and want a few pints I really like the Yorkshire style of smoother beers with a head. 

21 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

There is historical regional variation in regards to 'head' on beer and it stems from levels of affluence to a degree. 

There is also a variation in certain types of beer depending on whether places use sparklers or not, again regional. 

https://www.wineenthusiast.com/culture/beer/sparkler-cask-ale/

Thanks for the link. I remember the sparkler debate when I first started drinking ale. I think there's also a difference in taste, although maybe not anymore. Growing up, the "bitters" I remember were mostly northern like John Smith's and Boddington's so I associate that region with that style of beer. 

On 23/01/2024 at 16:04, bovril said:

Had a couple in the Bulls Head (LFW) this evening and it was the creamiest I’ve known it. Superb pint. 

• Like 1

On 23/01/2024 at 18:08, Manini said:

Pride in and around London I find tends to pour almost flat but it tastes much better there than anywhere else I’ve tried it. I absolutely love Fullers beers. 

A well kept pint of ESB on a cool evening is unbeatable.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, westernpark said:

Was working in Nottingham last week,  the busyness of the pubs in mid week is most enviable.

Yeah big time. I know the red filth were at home last night but even when they had ****ed off over the water they were still busy.

• 2 weeks later...