Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

Had some lovely pints tonight and having a crawl around tomorrow - but as an extra bought half of the peanut butter and jelly Stay Puft in the Vat and Fiddle for curiosity's sakes, it's horrid. Barely tastes like beer let alone an iteration of Stay Puft. Loved the salted caramel and chocolate versions because they were subtle, and the original is still a superb drink - but between the Irish cream and this, the gimmick has gone to far, tacking too much on.

8 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Had some lovely pints tonight and having a crawl around tomorrow - but as an extra bought half of the peanut butter and jelly Stay Puft in the Vat and Fiddle for curiosity's sakes, it's horrid. Barely tastes like beer let alone an iteration of Stay Puft. Loved the salted caramel and chocolate versions because they were subtle, and the original is still a superb drink - but between the Irish cream and this, the gimmick has gone to far, tacking too much on.

Peanut butter and Jelly stay puft? I wasn’t a huge fan of the Irish cream one to be honest. Would like to try the Oreo one though.

I love German dark (dunkel) beer - in particular Erdinger Dunkel, which can be a bit hard to find in the UK, (though Waitrose have now started to sell it, which is the only reason I go in there, hem hem).

Any recommendations for similar brews to the Dunkel please, you gorgeous foxy people?

• Like 1

On 08/12/2019 at 11:57, Fox1970 said:

I love German dark (dunkel) beer - in particular Erdinger Dunkel, which can be a bit hard to find in the UK, (though Waitrose have now started to sell it, which is the only reason I go in there, hem hem).

Any recommendations for similar brews to the Dunkel please, you gorgeous foxy people?

Budvar dark is a great tasting dark lager. If you opt for an ale then you can't go far wrong with a good porter.  For something stronger, and Belgian, try a Westmalle dubbel. Lovely dubbelly!

• Like 2

On 08/12/2019 at 11:57, Fox1970 said:

Again they are quite hard to find but if you ever see any of the schneider weisse beers then get one. 

As plastik said the next step is the Belgian dubbel beers. You can get westmalle and chimney blue in Tesco. Also get a delirium tremens while you are at it! It’s a blonde beer but world class.

Edited by Unabomber
  • Like 1

My last pint was Hardy and Hanson's Rocking Rudolph. Not in Nottingham but at home in Shepton Mallet.

I had no idea the company was bought by Greene King years ago and the brewery is now closed down. Hardy and Hanson's beers are now brewed in Suffolk like Ruddles and quite a few other names engulfed in Greene King's takeover trail.

To be fair it does still taste like a Nottingham ale, malty and slightly sweet as opposed to the sharp hoppiness of a Burton beer.

Now I know a bit more of the story I shall ask Spanner, the landlord, if he will get Belhaven in some time, another company swallowed up by Greene King.

On 07/12/2019 at 10:22, Costock_Fox said:

Peanut butter and Jelly stay puft? I wasn’t a huge fan of the Irish cream one to be honest. Would like to try the Oreo one though.

Yeah mate, I see you've given a go too - I couldn't get on board with it, the peanut butter was a bit too much for me. Can definitely see the appeal of you're into those flavours mind 

Had a great pint of Dark Matter by Atom in the Canalhouse over the weekend, far too easy to drink.

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:57, Fox1970 said:

Calvors in Suffolk do a lovely Dunkel.

a855ebdce98833064d6c3a15306172e4_640x640

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeah mate, I see you've given a go too - I couldn't get on board with it, the peanut butter was a bit too much for me. Can definitely see the appeal of you're into those flavours mind 

Had a great pint of Dark Matter by Atom in the Canalhouse over the weekend, far too easy to drink.

Yeah, it wasn’t stay puft but they have clearly sold it under that because of the name but I like Peanut butter so really enjoyed it.

7 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I see Thornbridge opened a bar in Birmingham the other night and have opened one in Leeds tonight - bet they'll be very decent.

this is by mine, should i frequent this establishment regularly? 

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Had a Mikkeler can of summat from New St after Villa away, it was rank - tasted like what I’d expect Frogspawn to.

Not all bad though as we nipped into Post office vaults before.

Try the adnams atrocity that’s in Sainsbury’s called Cucomelon (yeah, I’m definitely the only twat to buy it thinking it can’t be as bad as it sounds) absolutely vile.

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Try the adnams atrocity that’s in Sainsbury’s called Cucomelon (yeah, I’m definitely the only twat to buy it thinking it can’t be as bad as it sounds) absolutely vile.

I'll pass thanks, a beer I didn't think I'd like but do is the fruity Innis & Gunn one they have in Spoons, good leveller when you've been out the night before.

Picked up a four pack of Innis & Gunn's lager last week, really refreshing. Glad the British lager scene is growing, Korev, Braybrooke and I&Gl all great.

Just now, Stadt said:

I'll pass thanks, a beer I didn't think I'd like but do is the fruity Innis & Gunn one they have in Spoons, good leveller when you've been out the night before.

Picked up a four pack of Innis & Gunn's lager last week, really refreshing. Glad the British lager scene is growing, Korev, Braybrooke and I&Gl all great.

Yeah the normal Innis and Gunn in the green can is decent. I’ve accidentally mistaken it for a whiskey/rum infused one by them that wasn’t as good.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I see Thornbridge opened a bar in Birmingham the other night and have opened one in Leeds tonight - bet they'll be very decent.

Would love it if they opened up a place in Leicester, can't see any market research whatsoever saying yeah set up a Leicester pub they love their booze down in the (south) east midlands though.

• Haha 1