Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

14 minutes ago, filbertway said:

A nice crisp bottle of Stella

Me dad always moans that they’ve knocked the ABV down on Stella but If anything it’s better for me, it’s about the only lager he drinks he likes his real ale, but I don’t think you can beat Stella in terms of “mainstream” lager. Stella, Heineken and Estrella in that order are the best bulk beers you can get in the supermarket imo.  

Edited by Manini
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Manini said:

Me dad always moans that they’ve knocked the ABV down on Stella but If anything it’s better for me, it’s about the only larger he drinks he likes his real ale, but I don’t think you can beat Stella in terms of “mainstream” larger. Stella, Heineken and Estrella in that order are the best bulk beers you can get in the supermarket imo.  

I hadn't had it in ages, then decided to get some as it was on offer. I thought it tasted different to the last time I had it. I just put it down to being out of a bottle rather than being a pint. Didn't realise they had knocked down the alcohol level haha.

Usually a fruity cider drinker because I have the palate of a child, but when the sun's out I prefer a nice cold lager. Used to be partial to a Grolsh back in the day, don't seem to notice it much these days.

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I hadn't had it in ages, then decided to get some as it was on offer. I thought it tasted different to the last time I had it. I just put it down to being out of a bottle rather than being a pint. Didn't realise they had knocked down the alcohol level haha.

Usually a fruity cider drinker because I have the palate of a child, but when the sun's out I prefer a nice cold lager. Used to be partial to a Grolsh back in the day, don't seem to notice it much these days.

Always liked the Grolsh bottles with the stopper in the top instead of a cap. Haven’t seen any of those for ages. 

Our lass likes those Old Mout ciders and they’re pretty nice, I couldn’t drink loads of it though - aldi also do a nice fruity cider if that’s your bag I think they’re called Alska or something like that. 

Just now, Manini said:

Always liked the Grolsh bottles with the stopper in the top instead of a cap. Haven’t seen any of those for ages. 

Our lass likes those Old Mout ciders and they’re pretty nice, I couldn’t drink loads of it though - aldi also do a nice fruity cider if that’s your bag I think they’re called Alska or something like that. 

Yeah that's the one I'm thinking of, loved popping the stopper haha.

Yeah, the problem with the sweeter ones is they become a bit sickly if you're out for a day session and drinking at a decent pace haha.

Brothers did a still cider for a limited period of time, honestly it was like drinking fruit juice. Made the mistake of playing the Jeff Stelling drinking game with that one Saturday. 

Will have a look out for the Alska!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Manini said:

Me dad always moans that they’ve knocked the ABV down on Stella but If anything it’s better for me, it’s about the only lager he drinks he likes his real ale, but I don’t think you can beat Stella in terms of “mainstream” lager. Stella, Heineken and Estrella in that order are the best bulk beers you can get in the supermarket imo.  

I agree yet people think things such as peroni are world class and look down on Stella. It is much better imo. 

3 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I agree yet people think things such as peroni are world class and look down on Stella. It is much better imo. 

Yeah don’t get the love in with Peroni. I prefer a Moretti out of the two. 

I think I’ve said it before but for a really mainstream beer I think San Miguel is a bit rough.

Of the common lagers knocking about Kronenbourg, Stella, Heineken and Hophouse are my favourites. 

57 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Has anyone collected beer from pubs/breweries during this pandemic? Place near me is doing it now but can’t imagine how well it keeps in a plastic bottle for a few hours? 

Had a few crowlers shipped up from my favorite brewery.  If the brewery doesn't offer them (most here do), a standard glass growler will keep fine if you get it quickly into the fridge.

crowler.jpg.b098c6d33ec13a88b2971ad21ecb8fa9.jpg

I wouldn’t trust a container (plastic bottle) not designed for the job.

47 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Had a few crowlers shipped up from my favorite brewery.  If the brewery doesn't offer them (most here do), a standard glass growler will keep fine if you get it quickly into the fridge.

crowler.jpg.b098c6d33ec13a88b2971ad21ecb8fa9.jpg

I wouldn’t trust a container (plastic bottle) not designed for the job.

Cheers apparently this place provide 4 pint sealed containers,

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KingsX said:

If the brewery doesn't offer them (most here do), a standard glass GROWLER will keep fine if you get it quickly into the fridge.

Well that played tricks with my mind !! ..   never heard of a ‘glass growler’ before ...   when I hear it used it normally pertains to the area close to a ladies lady garden.  The word originated from the Cockney rhyming slang  ....     “Growl and grunt” ...   and is often used with other adjectives such as, loose, old, well trimmed, smelly or even sloppy ...   although the latter has now been surpassed in modern day parlance by the term, ‘bill posters bucket’  ...     :thumbup:

10 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Well that played tricks with my mind !! ..   never heard of a ‘glass growler’ before ...   when I hear it used it normally pertains to the area close to a ladies lady garden.  The word originated from the Cockney rhyming slang  ....     “Growl and grunt” ...   and is often used with other adjectives such as, loose, old, well trimmed, smelly or even sloppy ...   although the latter has now been surpassed in modern day parlance by the term, ‘bill posters bucket’  ...     :thumbup:

My education continues  :blink:

In the US, this was a beer growler in my grandparents’ day

1591035190_growlerpail.JPG.94b1599747866841be2d04380208cd24.JPG

Barkeeps filled them at lunchtime or when factory shifts were about to end and kids (yes, actual minor children) would be sent to fetch them home.  My wife’s dad had hell to pay if he spilled a drop.

growlers.JPG.b6d6d63eae2aca1da8d64f2d81500b2a.JPG

Nowadays it’s just a refillable jug, and most beer geeks own a few.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Many years ago (perhaps it's changed now) when I was looking around the miniature village in Skegness, 1 of the shops was called "Grizzle and Grunt" which was the term my dad used lol 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Manini said:

Swap Heineken for Moretti or Kroneburg for me then you got a decent shout.    Great avatar BTW-  just finished the doc and Charlie was the character of the series for me,  hope he is still around for S3.   The marketing meeting was a highlight lol 

18 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Swap Heineken for Moretti or Kroneburg for me then you got a decent shout.    Great avatar BTW-  just finished the doc and Charlie was the character of the series for me,  hope he is still around for S3.   The marketing meeting was a highlight lol 

Yes like both of those to be honest bit of a toss up! 

I think he’s left the club mate, which from a documentary point of view is disappointing but I’m sure SAFC fans are delighted because let’s not split hairs the bloke is a complete helmet.lol 

Ignore me - he hasn’t, I’ve just looked. Stepped down from the board, but still a shareholder. 

Edited by Manini

Ordered some beer from a website called Dexter and Jones last night and it arrived today, great service.

The Raspberry and salted caramel Dessert in a Can sounds like the GOAT. Also got the superbly named Rhubarbara Streisand.

Edited by Costock_Fox

On 19/05/2020 at 11:27, Unabomber said:

Has anyone collected beer from pubs/breweries during this pandemic? Place near me is doing it now but can’t imagine how well it keeps in a plastic bottle for a few hours? 

Loads.  Only good to drink in within a few hours.  

I tend to get it poured in glass 3 litre bottle/Growler.  I like keg IPA's so there only as good as the gas it has.

I'm quite fortunate, the local taphouse, delivers a good range freshly poured.