Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Liamlcfc1

David Wagner

17 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

People are deluded if they think Benitez and Dyche will roll up here.

Completely deluded.

I'm not sure who we can realistically bring in.  This guy might be ok.  Whatever the decision, we always appear to be taking gambles.  Let's hope this isn't one too many.

I wouldn't expect us to be able to lure them either, but stranger things have happened. Benitez going to Newcastle in the first place, for instance. Or Jock Wallace, David Pleat and Sven Goran Eriksson coming to Leicester when, at that time, they were considered to be worthy of much better (not that I'd want to dwell on Pleat or Sven for too long, of course). One thing is thinking something is likely, another is considering it a nice, but faint, possibility.

I'm always scared of making 'no way is that going to happen' statements, because every time something actually happens you go back to the beginning of the thread and find a whole host of people saying that it definitely won't.

1 minute ago, inckley fox said:

It's not always been very good experience in the Premiership, though.

I know an ex-colleague of Hughton's from his Birmingham days. He told me that Hughton once said to him, "Look, this club's a good fit for me, I know I'm never going to be one of the top managers, I'm aware of my limitations". The ex-colleague in question took this as a huge positive, but I remember thinking that I'd have preferred a guy with a messiah complex to someone who didn't especially think he was any good.

Sounds like a decent down to earth manager. Realistically what british manager would get a top job in the premiership? Better than hearing the arrogant nonsense from big sam and pardew. Still think if hughton was foreign there would be more interest in him. 

Huddersfield have not scored in 19 games this season, that’s ****ing boring. Also finished with a negative GD last season. Not the answer the wanky Jurgen Klopp tribute act

Edited by Wookie
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Sounds like a decent down to earth manager. Realistically what british manager would get a top job in the premiership? Better than hearing the arrogant nonsense from big sam and pardew. Still think if hughton was foreign there would be more interest in him. 

Ironically that’s the sort of rubbish Allardyce comes out with

2 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I'd say Big Sam was a lot more successful than Hughton.

The point I'm making is that Hughton seemed to lack ambition in his remark. Whereas Wagner has achieved as much as could be realistically expected of him and more, Hughton has done well at clubs without, on a number of different occasions, taking clubs as far as we are now. I always wondered whether this was, to an extent, a reflection of a lack of self-belief, where many managers - including some British managers - might not believe that they were footballing yo-yo standard, and may be more inclined to push for improvement.

Hughton may well not consider himself a top manager in the making, or perhaps he's changed his mind over the past few years. Perhaps, as you say, it doesn't matter one way or the other. But I wouldn't be surprised if Wagner had a bit more ambition about him, and it wouldn't surprise me if this were reflected in his future trajectory.

Of course I could easily be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time! It's true that sometimes the old steady heads, the ones you consider unspectacular while in search of the next O'Neill, are the best bets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

He is overachieving at Huddersfield they should be in the relegation zone.

As for us whether he would be a good fit I am not so sure, I don’t think we can afford a gamble we need experience and know how at this level would take Rafa, Dyche first and foremost.

They are 3 pts from the relegation zone and 6 pts off bottom. 

One of those managers who is likely to make a step up in class at some point, he's done ok at times this season but I think he needs another full season at Huddersfield, if he can keep them up he should carry on and see if he can establish them.

What I like about Wagner is that he shows passion and we need someone like that on our touchline.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wookie said:

Huddersfield have not scored in 19 games this season, that’s ****ing boring. Also finished with a negative GD last season. Not the answer the wanky Jurgen Klopp tribute act

Have you looked at the budget & players he’s working with before making your decision on his management skills? The fact they got out of the Championship let alone surviving their 1st season in the Prem is remarkable!

Take the time to research his career and I’m sure your opinion of him will be different to that of him being a ‘wanky Jurgen Klopp tribute act’ 

• Like 3

To be fair he could be alright? 

I would prefer 

1) Eddie Howe re long term plan

2) Marco Silva

3) Sean Dyche re taskmaster etc

4) Rafa Benitez to attract better players etc

However Wagner has done ok with a very very average Huddersfield team so you never know? It’s a maybe from me

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Albert said:

Have you looked at the budget & players he’s working with before making your decision on his management skills? The fact they got out of the Championship let alone surviving their 1st season in the Prem is remarkable!

Take the time to research his career and I’m sure your opinion of him will be different to that of him being a ‘wanky Jurgen Klopp tribute act’ 

Is he our number 1 target Albert?

4 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Completely deluded.

I'm not sure who we can realistically bring in.  This guy might be ok.  Whatever the decision, we always appear to be taking gambles.  Let's hope this isn't one too many.

Deluded?!?! We’re a top 10 Premier league team with a fantastic infrastructure (that’s about to be improved with a new £80m training complex & stadium expansion) who has billionaire owners that are willing to spend whatever it takes to ensure the club competes in Europe.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Wagner is given time and patience by the Huddersfield board and fans. Here he'd be hounded out by Xmas. 

What happens if his style and tactics is not accepted by the players? Then what? 

I honestly think we have bigger problems than Puel. 

Absolutely correct. Replacing Puel is just the first piece of the jig-saw.  

• Like 2

The whole team needs virtually a complete overhaul over the next 5 transfer windows.

We are starting from a position of weakness, not a position of strength. Everyone involved in football will view Leicester as a big risk. The team is in bad shape and the perception is that the fans and the board are short on patience.

Honestly we either have to stick with Puel or replace him quickly, but then we have to stick with that appointment and allow them time to implement a long term vision.

Next season will be a struggle whoever is in charge.  We desperately need 4 or 5 new first team players who can come in and hit the ground running more than we need a new manager. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Completely deluded.

Considering Dyche almost joined before puel you are wrong. 

My first choice would be Rafa, and think he’d come here. Whoever comes here has a rebuilding job for sure, but there are also some darn good players here to build a side around.

Wagner has done a great job on limited resources, but is our job a bit different - probably. Would be a good fit? Only time would tell.

My concern would be that he’s Rudkin’s man, having tried hard to get him to be Ranieiri’s permanent replacement. And people on here seriously question his judgement!

Edited by bmouth_fox