Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Remembering When LCFC Moved From Filbert Street

my memories are of all the popping noise of the seats being kicked off towards the end of the game. Even seen someone walking off with the "Hoggies" sign at the end.

Plus Kasabian played at the half time orange straight after. 

loved the double decker stand right above goal, first time I sat there was the play off game against Cambridge, 4-0 up after 3o minutes!, their side had Dion Dublin and Steve claridge

up front, never understood how claridge stayed clear of serious injuries as he always had his socks rolled down.

29 minutes ago, yes ndidi said:

loved the double decker stand right above goal, first time I sat there was the play off game against Cambridge, 4-0 up after 3o minutes!, their side had Dion Dublin and Steve claridge

up front, never understood how claridge stayed clear of serious injuries as he always had his socks rolled down.

He did - much like Eric Gates before him and Grealish now. 

The Double Decker amazed me in that to my knowledge no one ever went over the edge in spite of all the fighting that went on up there in the eighties. If you were in Pen 2 you always knew when it was happening because of the thundering above that reverberated through the stand and the fact that the entire Main Stand were looking right instead of at the pitch. 

Remember my first time in the double decker, up all the stairs and then stepped out into the upper tier and vertigo kicked in, I was rooted to the spot shaking. The steward happened to be the lollipop man from our school crossing and he recognised me so he and my dad dragged me to my seat as I tried to grab every rail or seat I could. Being dragged TO your seat by a steward must be a first!

49 minutes ago, yes ndidi said:

yes its a wonder no body ever went over the edge, remember a game when Newcastle had to win to stay up, think it was lasdt game but that was tasty, then won and stayed up, cannot remember the year though?

1991/92 I think. We needed to win gain automatic promotion, Newcastle (under Keegan) needed to win to stay up which they did thanks to an OG from Steve Walsh.

Bit of trouble that day as I recall.

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

1991/92 I think. We needed to win gain automatic promotion, Newcastle (under Keegan) needed to win to stay up which they did thanks to an OG from Steve Walsh.

Bit of trouble that day as I recall.

If I remember rightly, they were ‘hoying’ ripped out seats at us?

Edited by Col city fan

Yes the double decker had a great view except for the goal mouth.I think one of the plans was to turn the pitch so it would of been sideways view which would of been brillant.

My personal favs were the east stand and obviously pens 3

and 2.Even better when pen 2

had away fans in it when the likes of Leeds Man u etc etc came to town.When Chelsea played us in 89 same day as Hillsborough boy did it kick off in the double decker worst i saw at Filbo.

Guest FriendlyRam

Cant beat the old stadiums. Probably on a par with our old Baseball Ground? we literally had wooden steps ffs lol but it beat PP for atmosphere hands down 

Always had a fixation with your double decker stand :) 

12 minutes ago, Corky said:

Half the ground was already in place, such a shame we couldn't renovate the other two stands.

Yes I think the club managed to buy a lot of the surrounding houses but had to sell when they got in the brown stuff.The Carling stand would still look the mutts nuts even now.The Brian Clough stand up the road now looks so early 80s

1 minute ago, Heathrow fox said:

Yes I think the club managed to buy a lot of the surrounding houses but had to sell when they got in the brown stuff.The Carling stand would still look the mutts nuts even now.The Brian Clough stand up the road now looks so early 80s

It was the people on the nearby streets complaining that they'd lose a lot of light if a big Stands were built all supported by the local Councillor Mary Draycott who also campaigned successfully to stop us building on Bede Island. Fortunately Morrison's messed up their planning to build on the site of the KP and we nipped in and got it.

Yep…. I was regular in the double decker and later a season ticket holder in SK4

many great memories 

7-1 v Sheffield Wednesday 

3-3 v Arsenal

A proper ground with proper heritage…. Unlike out identikit ground (which obviously I still love!)