Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

RUDKIN - How Does He Keep His Job?

8 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I can't see how Rudkin can be blamed, or praised for that matter, for transfers. It's his job to be a middle man between the manager/s and the board. Scouts spot players, managers decide what type of player they want and dof's communicate with the board about funding and the direction the team/s are trying to pursue and then sign the player for whatever budget they've been given. He's a former coach so he knows a about the ins and outs of players and how football clubs work, so is trusted by both sides 

Correct, his main focus is getting them across the line both ins and outs. He's also heavily influential at the finer details of contracts, so when we sign or extend players contracts that prove to be poor value he's got to take overall responsibility on that. Likewise when we balls up the final days of most transfer windows, yes it's a horrible time for clubs to be successful but we've come out worse more often than not.

13 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

On the assumption the DoF is responsible for the performance of the Scouting Crew (who we have been told previously spend literally hours studying video tapes of potential new acquisitions).  Can someone offer up an credible excuse why this aspect of Football Operations has, on the face of it, avoided an overhaul?  May be it has and it has not been made public news like the Silva debacle?? Please no comments referring to the successes, as these are what they should be doing.

No club has 100% success in the transfer market, It not an exact science by any means. Chelsea for example had a disastrous 12 months & Everton have been a train wreck. Leicester have had more success than failure and should be able to recoup some cash from their more obvious failures.

Changing managers does not help the scouting team as each manager has a different opinion of a player.

Overall I think our winners more than make up for the failures

On 30/07/2018 at 12:17, Babylon said:

If nobody is going to bid £100m, how exactly is he meant to get £100m? If we'd held onto him, a player who wanted out his value would have halved come next summer.

As for the other deal, we don't know the makeup of that deal at all. It looks a lot if you believe what Liverpool have leaked out... but then it would as they are leaking what they want. A few people on here have said the upfront fee is a fraction of that. Also, he doesn't scout the players. If someone is saying to him, this guy has great potential and we really think he could make it to the top, then he does what he can to get said player.

As for the donkeys... he can't force teams to buy players that didn't work. Unless other prem clubs are interested, it's always going to be hard work as players in this country always get paid far more than elsewhere.

Why did we sign the donkeys in the first place? That’s the important question. Who is watching these guys?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Correct, his main focus is getting them across the line both ins and outs. He's also heavily influential at the finer details of contracts, so when we sign or extend players contracts that prove to be poor value he's got to take overall responsibility on that. Likewise when we balls up the final days of most transfer windows, yes it's a horrible time for clubs to be successful but we've come out worse more often than not.

Sorry i don't agree, he will be asking the manager if he want's to keep a player or not, so it becomes the managers responsibility. The manager decides which players he wants, he's not cared about the cost, Rudkin has a budget and as long as he stays in budget, he's doing his job correctly. And in reality, how many times have we really ballsed it up on the last day. Silva..and i suspect that was more to do with the money coming from chelsea than anything else.  

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Bombproof in the eyes of those in charge of whether he has a job or not. 

And lets be honest, its those in charge that matter !

I'm sure Rudkin could care less about the opinions of foxes talk.

It's always about the guy signing your paycheck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Sorry i don't agree, he will be asking the manager if he want's to keep a player or not, so it becomes the managers responsibility. The manager decides which players he wants, he's not cared about the cost, Rudkin has a budget and as long as he stays in budget, he's doing his job correctly. And in reality, how many times have we really ballsed it up on the last day. Silva..and i suspect that was more to do with the money coming from chelsea than anything else.  

Puel wants Ulloa, King, Musa, Slimani and several others gone and yet we haven't moved on a single player who is contracted to us that we don't want this summer bar Mahrez. The fact Puel has gone on record as saying he cannot bring in anymore players until we move them on shows how serious it has got. This is now Rudkin's remit, earn his coin.

We made a mess of things in January 2016, August 2016, January 2017 and August 2017.

Out of interest, how would you quantify if our director of football is underperforming or not based on your dismissal of what's his remit or not?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

To a point I can’t accept that. Ranieri famously fell out with Ulloa. We wouldn’t sell him. Instead we extend his contract (Shakespeare) and the next option is to loan him out to Brighton paying a percentage of his wages (Puel) That’s over three managers. 

If you employ a head head coach type structure (or sack managers left, right and centre)  you need someone responsible enough to oversee. 

40 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Why did we sign the donkeys in the first place? That’s the important question. Who is watching these guys?

Well not him because it's not his job. I would say we had a big issue with Walsh being in place and then Ranieri wanting his own way and then Walsh leaving leaving a vacuum for a while.

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Puel wants Ulloa, King, Musa, Slimani and several others gone and yet we haven't moved on a single player who is contracted to us that we don't want this summer bar Mahrez. The fact Puel has gone on record as saying he cannot bring in anymore players until we move them on shows how serious it has got. This is now Rudkin's remit, earn his coin.

We made a mess of things in January 2016, August 2016, January 2017 and August 2017.

Out of interest, how would you quantify if our director of football is underperforming or not based on your dismissal of what's his remit or not?

You cannot just shift people at the click of a finger. There is no point shifting players if the wages it frees up don't allow you to pay a good replacement.

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think the debate is down to that, you can't say he is doing a great job or a crap job as we dont know what his job is. 

I can see 2 sides of the argument he HAS brought in a few good players and he HAS made what we/us, the fans deem as mistakes. But we can't honestly know how much of an impact he or the manager or the scouting team or the board have on choosing said player. 

Back to your point Ric, which if i get the jist of all this, is you are not blaming Rudkin for what he has or hasnt done but are suprised (if not for want of a better word) that we sack the managers, since we can't sack the players, but he remains untouched? If thats the case then again it does go down to what i highlighted and replied to in my opening reply. We just don't know :S 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I think the debate is down to that, you can't say he is doing a great job or a crap job as we dont know what his job is. 

I can see 2 sides of the argument he HAS brought in a few good players and he HAS made what we/us, the fans deem as mistakes. But we can't honestly know how much of an impact he or the manager or the scouting team or the board have on choosing said player. 

Back to your point Ric, which if i get the jist of all this, is you are not blaming Rudkin for what he has or hasnt done but are suprised (if not for want of a better word) that we sack the managers, since we can't sack the players, but he remains untouched? If thats the case then again it does go down to what i highlighted and replied to in my opening reply. We just don't know :S 

Spot on

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You cannot just shift people at the click of a finger. There is no point shifting players if the wages it frees up don't allow you to pay a good replacement.

I know this, it's the hardest part of the DOF's role but it's as important to the future success as bringing in players, there's a direct correlation. Our manager will pay the price though if he fails to do either, not him.

It is taking an incredible amount of time to shift any deadwood, and we have little time left now in which to do it, The window closes next week, for bringing in players, so I just can't see us moving for a really quality player. So, one average player, and a host of unwanted players will be the end result,,imo..

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't think you can, his remit will be to sign the players the manager wants for the budget the board gives him, he's obviously doing that else we would be bust. I do think he's been lucky enough to find himself in a job at a period in time when there seems to be limitless funds due to the amount of money coming in from sky, same as i think Ranieri was lucky enough to find himself in a job at a point in time when the top clubs were struggling and we were playing a style of football that no-one could cope with.  How does a bloke persuade players like Ulloa and King, who were part of a squad that won the biggest prize of them all to leave? They might be sh*t now, but we do owe them for what they did and it might be a case of just letting them see out their contracts. Same with Morgan and Simpson.

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I know this, it's the hardest part of the DOF's role but it's as important to the future success as bringing in players, there's a direct correlation. Our manager will pay the price though if he fails to do either, not him.

I think the manager would have looked at the problem of what he has to work with and the timescale it would take in order to build his own team when he took the job.

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

No club has 100% success in the transfer market, It not an exact science by any means. Chelsea for example had a disastrous 12 months & Everton have been a train wreck. Leicester have had more success than failure and should be able to recoup some cash from their more obvious failures.

Changing managers does not help the scouting team as each manager has a different opinion of a player.

Overall I think our winners more than make up for the failures

Agree about the 100% hit rate. But our recruitment immediately post winning the PL was a criminal Motorway pile up.  I do not care about Everton or Chelsea.  So we just accept the Managerial merry- go- around and the failures with no accountability or questions.  This is exactly why people get on Rudkin's back as there is seemingly so much swept under our carpet including a faulty fax-machine.   

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Agree about the 100% hit rate. But our recruitment immediately post winning the PL was a criminal Motorway pile up.  I do not care about Everton or Chelsea.  So we just accept the Managerial merry- go- around and the failures with no accountability or questions.  This is exactly why people get on Rudkin's back as there is seemingly so much swept under our carpet including a faulty fax-machine.   

Again as so many people have stated, Rudkin does not choose the players & does not have the final decision on hiring or firing managers. As to the fax machine debacle, it lands at Rudkins door but we will never know what happened.

I am now done and vow to not respond to anymore "rudkin out" posts.

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

Again as so many people have stated, Rudkin does not choose the players & does not have the final decision on hiring or firing managers. As to the fax machine debacle, it lands at Rudkins door but we will never know what happened.

I am now done and vow to not respond to anymore "rudkin out" posts.

Such a shame managers and players aren't able to hide behind such vagueness in their jobs ay?

• Like 1

Director of the academy and Director of football is Rudkin's job . That's what he does . 

Some of the descriptions of his duties are so stupid and laughable . Stop guessing , if you don't know , you don't know . 

Whatever you think of him , he does his best for LCFC,  i'm quite positive i know that . 

The new academy/training ground is his baby trust me . 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jamesmilner said:

Director of the academy and Director of football is Rudkin's job . That's what he does . 

Some of the descriptions of his duties are so stupid and laughable . Stop guessing , if you don't know , you don't know . 

Whatever you think of him , he does his best for LCFC,  i'm quite positive i know that . 

The new academy/training ground is his baby trust me . 

James, what are the duties of those roles. You've given the titles of them and that's it, then given it the north and south. Don't even get me started on the academy!!! 

• Like 1

My view on Rudkin is shaped by the comments anyone remotely linked to the club have to say about him. Off the top of my head on here @Albert @Abrasive fox @Ric Flair @Bert. And other comments from friends of friends etc, unreliable and rubbish taken in isolation of course, but they all seem to say the same, that the man is a fraud and we'll out of his depth, only got in the position by politicking, and the more you hear the same thing from many different sources the more you start to believe it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

My view on Rudkin is shaped by the comments anyone remotely linked to the club have to say about him. Off the top of my head on here @Albert @Abrasive fox @Ric Flair @Bert. And other comments from friends of friends etc, unreliable and rubbish taken in isolation of course, but they all seem to say the same, that the man is a fraud and we'll out of his depth, only got in the position by politicking, and the more you hear the same thing from many different sources the more you start to believe it.

I’ve never bad mouthed the guy as I can see the difficulties of his job. Whenever people get frustrated because we don’t make a signing that they read about on Twitter or a deal takes time to complete the finger of blame is always pointed towards him due to his position but people seem to be oblivious to all the complex factors that are involved in a transfer deal. I’ve said this before but do people honestly believe that Rudkin sits in his office twiddling his thumbs by himself waiting for things to happen and then agrees fee’s/salaries/bonuses/contracts by himself?!?! There’s a whole team of finance people, lawyers, agents & senior management involved and when a deal is in place Rudkin is the guy that reports everything back to the owners.

As I’ve already said he’s an easy scapegoat that gets called out for being out of his depth when transfers don’t happen but is then never mentioned when we pull off the numerous great signings we’ve made.

People will obviously make up their own opinions of Rudkin but the fact our billionaire businessmen owners who could could employ anyone they want for the role have kept him in his position says a lot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1