Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

RUDKIN - How Does He Keep His Job?

1 hour ago, Max Wall said:

I think they are normally there for Kasper's goal kicks and to get the ball back to the field of play quickly as possible. Not sure why they were in attendance for this game though. Old habits die hard?

There were about 20 Austrian boys tasked with that due to the running track.   

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Their contracts are only too high because the signing hasn't worked. Would you rather he turned around to Steve Walsh and said, I know you you've built three title winning sides and I know you found Kante, Mahrez, Vardy, Drinkwater, Knockaert etc for about £8m total. But I don't trust your decision making, so I'm no going to pay the money for the signings you want. Ditto the manager who just won you the premier league.

Hindsight is an oh so wonderful thing. If he'd done that and we didn't get those players and the other ones we did sign for much less turned out to be shit. You'd be moaning about why he didn't back the scouts and manager with money.

Totally excluding the contract extensions for Ulloa and James there, a four year deal for King in 2016 was also excessive given playing time 

If he's responsible for as much at the club as many people here are saying and under his charge we have enjoyed our most successful time in our history,then should we not be praising the guy for a job well done instead of blaming him for everything that goes wrong at the club? 

Yes he's human and like everyone else if he's honest he would admit he makes mistakes in his job nobody is perfect but it seems like he has got a hell of a lot right so far.

• Like 1

It does seem it is the past 'scouting' that is the fundamental issue causing most of our current predicament. 

But who pray is the Space Cadet that suggested and agreed on the contract extensions for James and Leo?  The drains need to be pulled up on that fack-up with the guilty culprit being binned off.

4 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

I did say it rather tongue in cheek tbh. I was referring to Kasper's kicks.

I know you were:ph34r: .    But there was none of that last week from either Keeper and even Wes seemed to have cut out the 'hoofing':rolleyes: .

7 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

If he’s in charge of contracts and throwing huge amounts at some of the pish we’ve signed, the criticism is worthy. 

We are crippled by a squad of utter crap who can’t or won’t leave due to their wages. 

Also if he assists on the identifying of managers, he will never employ someone who challenges him 

Really, a squad of utter crap !

How do you come up with that ? Ten world cup players, numerous England youth players, a top ten Premier league finish last season.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Really, a squad of utter crap !

How do you come up with that ? Ten world cup players, numerous England youth players, a top ten Premier league finish last season.

'Squad' - our first eleven and the next three or four are 10th-12th of PL at the moment. I am someone supportive of Puel and the current squad.

However, I'd say the following players add nothing to us and nothing to the Premier League. 

Jakupovic

Ulloa

Benaloaune

Kapustka

Question marks on the following:-

Chilwell

Musa

Amartey

Slimani

Silva

Simpson

Iborra

James

King

Mendy

Fuchs

Diabate

I think you could lose any of those 16 players and we wouldn't notice a difference.

Guest Cujek
20 hours ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Just wondering how this guy manages to keep his job, while everyone around him, gets shot at dawn? Isn't it time he was put up against the same wall? Anyone else doing his job would be long gone by now, so I just don't understand how come he is still here. :dunno:

Yawn...

seriously, what is the point of this?

Just now, BoyJones said:

More to the point, what actually is his job? What value and insight does he bring to the club? 

It would be interesting to know. 

Probably none of the responsibilities that those looking for simple solutions to complex problems would like him to have. 

There's no doubt he got the job simply because he was in the right place at the right time. Susan Whelan  knew nothing about football and decided against bringing in an outsider. Rudkin was at the club and young giving him an advantage over others.  She obviously took a liking to him and so gave him the job.

That's pretty much how a lot of promotions are got. 

The problem is he's having to learn on the job and mistakes have been made with some successes.

The point is he's here now a lot wiser in the job so what would be the point in getting rid of him. Susan is a very gifted CEO as demonstrated by our remarkable rise since the takeover. Although not always in the limelight she deserves great credit for our success. I'm sure she wouldn't keep him here if he wasn't performing ok. 

What we don't know is the structure around signings. Who decides who to go after, is it Rudkin, Puel, Macia or a committee decision which is the way some clubs are now operating. Maybe some of the ITKs could tell us.

As for Rudkin it's foolish for anyone to blame him when we don't know the full story. Perhaps the hate is borne out of Envy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

There's no doubt he got the job simply because he was in the right place at the right time. Susan Whelan  knew nothing about football and decided against bringing in an outsider. Rudkin was at the club and young giving him an advantage over others.  She obviously took a liking to him and so gave him the job.

The problem is he's having to learn on the job and mistakes have been made with some successes.

The point is he's here now a lot wiser in the job so what would be the point in getting rid of him. Susan is a very gifted CEO as demonstrated by our remarkable rise since the takeover. Although not always in the limelight she deserves great credit for our success. I'm sure she wouldn't keep him here if he wasn't performing ok. 

What we don't know is the structure around signings. Who decides who to go after, is it Rudkin, Puel, Macia or a committee decision which is the way some clubs are now operating. Maybe some of the ITKs could tell us.

As for Rudkin it's foolish for anyone to blame him when we don't know the full story. Perhaps the hate is borne out of Envy.

Excellent Post !!

Well Said.

• Like 1

I'm seeing a growing consensus that because we have zero evidence of Rudkin's supposed mistakes and failings, due to the blurred lines between what's the managers remit, the recruitment directors remit and what's Rudkin's remit that he's doing a very good job. It's a shame managers don't get afforded such luxury when they are criticized and often sacked, given they rely on many other people performing to be deemed a success such as the players and then the recruitment director and director of football giving them the best possible players and support to do so. I don't particularly like the modern era where the DOF and manager aren't brought in together as a partnership, there's an instant divide and a hierarchy that the manager is less safe than the DOF. Whilst we've been through many managers due to under performance, we've had the same DOF and the same directors who it's quite easy to accuse of the same levels of underachievement as the managers. Yet the manager and sometimes the players are the easy option to bin off and replace, but has anybody stopped to consider if the manager isn't forming a great rapport and working relationship with the DOF then he's going to struggle to be as effective as he could be. At what point does a DOF whom is loved by the owners regardless of results come under scrutiny? The money wasted on players and managers year in, year out but never in our case is the whole footballing operation considered and measured on performance and if it is then I'm astounded at the outcome.

I'm sure many can argue who's responsible for the following mistakes and stick up for our DOF, but here is a valid list of gaffs you'd have to think fall under the overall area of Rudkin. If they don't, then who takes ultimate responsibility?

1) The Adrien Silva/Drinkwater debacle

2) Paying £13m more for Slimani on the last day of the window having chosen to resist signing him for just £15m a few weeks previous

3) The contract extensions and salary amounts for bit part players of Ulloa and James. Both of whom we had genuine interest from other clubs and could have generated revenue and freed up wages.

4) The release clause in Jamie Vardy's contract that had only been agreed and signed a few months before we won the league. This wasn't an old contract where our rise to prominence hadn't been predicted.

5) Inability to move deadwood players. I appreciate this is one of the hardest things a DOF is expected to do, but given what often unrealistic expectation is put on managers it's where they prove their worth. So far we haven't gotten rid of a single player this summer who is in contract that we want rid of.

6) Failure to bring in players in the crucial final stages of transfer windows. I admit he has got better but last summers Silva debacle was horrifying and the previous few to last summer were a frustrating time.

There's a sample list, anybody who can think of any more, please feel free to come forward.

• Like 3

Other than wrapping up Maddison and Maguire painlessly I'm not entirely sure what he's ever really done well tbf. 

It seems like standard contrarian foxestalk policy to say that he's not shit just because some others think he is. There's always got to be two entrenched parties on FT blindly sticking to their guns. 

End of the day, he isn't a dof, he's just a very average youth coach. He's been poor at both player and manager recruitment. He's not the reason for all our ills but he's certainly an area of the club we should look at improving with genuine quality. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

To bring in an experienced DOF who can negotiate better deals with better players and do things in a timely manner?

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Other than wrapping up Maddison and Maguire painlessly I'm not entirely sure what he's ever really done well tbf. 

It seems like standard contrarian foxestalk policy to say that he's not shit just because some others think he is. There's always got to be two entrenched parties on FT blindly sticking to their guns. 

End of the day, he isn't a dof, he's just a very average youth coach. He's been poor at both player and manager recruitment. He's not the reason for all our ills but he's certainly an area of the club we should look at improving with genuine quality. 

Very well put. I am often scathing in my assessment of him but it's quite simple for me, our owners want to somehow make us be an elite club with the best training facilities, become a pioneer in recruitment of the best young talent and have coaches who improve them better than any. That all sounds great but can you realistically do that with an inexperienced and limited DOF and an academy structure that has seen the same coaches in place for as far back as anyone can remember? It's highly unlikely and that's where I'm left scratching my head at the owners plans they like to tell us about. Either it's exaggeration and they are much more realistic in what they think they can achieve or they really are very naive and blinkered with whom they trust to take this club forward off the field.