Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gwyn

Time for a Puel in thread.

On 19/08/2018 at 12:43, Ric Flair said:

There's a kind of predictability to our play in the opening two games, and it was present last season at times. Very rare do our 3 attacking midfielders and striker get the ball in space to run forward, it's back to goal and having to then work openings which invariably result in the ball going out wide and crosses coming in to the box. The issue with that is, we don't have a striker who's prowess is attacking crosses, Vardy is average at best at finding space to meet crosses. Where he has been dangerous from this sort of play is the early low cross from deep from Albrighton where he can sometimes catch the defence on the edge of the box, it nearly came off at one point in the 1st half.

We barely got Maddison involved for the opening half an hour or more yesterday and he's going to have to learn to feed off scraps if we continue to play like this, to find time and space in the Prem is difficult but as a team we seem to isolate our central attacking players by how static we are and seldom do we take risks at breaking lines. Vardys goal return last season was very good but in terms of how involved he was in games was the worst we've seen from him. Goals win matches but the man has so much to offer and it's a shame he's not given more licence to impose himself under Puel. Defenders hate having to deal with him but generally it's quite easy to keep him quiet.

I watched the highlights of the Spurs game yesterday and Kane gets so much of the ball in space in the final third and is in the box with it, something he doesn't get for England nor does Vardy. We used to proudly say that Vardy was better off playing for us and not England as they don't play to his strengths but I don't think we do either now. He's just become very clinical thankfully so takes the very little he gets.

This post is fairly negative but it's more an awareness post of what we need to do to progress. There's promising signs of improvement with Ricardo, Maddison and Ndidi and Mendy as a duo but I think we're still nowhere near what we could be as a team. 

I'm intrigued to see how Iheanacho does in these next 3 league games, he may be better at attacking crosses so without changing too much he could make an impact and that will surely give Puel a problem. I'd advocate him and Vardy should both play with Maddison and Iheanacho drifting in behind Vardy but that's another request for 3-4-1-2 which I'm even boring myself by keep saying it. 

Good post. We cant play to vardys strengths without playmaker. ...like drinky was.  Only balls into the box that are useful are early diagonal balls like ricardo is delivering.  Ref utd game. Chilwell waits till CBs are settled and able to attack balls in = no end product 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, polarbear said:

Why do ppl keep wanting benitez? His teams are set up to be incredibly stifling 

He is as boring as Jose but is a total class individual. His style suits clubs like Newcastle who don't have a lot of talent. I admire him greatly but think Puel will play some quality footy this year so I don't see the need for him here.

• Like 3

On 18/08/2018 at 14:25, fuchsntf said:

How about ...using the Xmas Carol Noel.

Pue-el   Pu--el

French saviour of the king- power ..holy grail

With  our blue Angel ..Jamiee- Vardy,fed on Rocket Fu--el

Good ol' monsieuuur...Pu--el,

Or others can put better lyrics

No. Can we just sit in silence please.

12 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

5y89ghcanhh11.jpg

Three players in the team of the weak. 2 of our new signings and one academy player promoted ahead of one of our legends.

Utter bull - ox.  Where are all the 'Real Wolves' players?  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Duncan_K said:

In the spirit of the old Kisnorbo chant, to the Noel Noel xmas carol

Puel, Puel, Puel, Puel,

Thought he was shit now he's doing quite well

Puel, Puel, Puel, Puel... 

lol 

I really don't know what to make of that. Do we replace 'quite' with 'so' if we're 7th or above? Are there any other connotations or is this your magnum opus?

2 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

lol 

I really don't know what to make of that. Do we replace 'quite' with 'so' if we're 7th or above? Are there any other connotations or is this your magnum opus?

I think we should replace it with silence.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Positives:

He's really brought the average age of the team down massively. 

His persistence with Chilwell really seems to be paying off. 

It looks like he's recruited relatively well with Maddison, Ricardo, Evans etc. 

In our last two games we've managed to do enough to get the wins and that's all that matters at this stage of the season. The last two games are the types of games where we were dropping points towards the end of last season, with the exception of Brighton away.

At times we've played some nice one and two touch football, the kind of stuff we weren't seeing too often not that long ago. 

I think we may have found the solution in central midfield with Mendy. We've seen glimpses of the player that came with the growing reputation when we signed him.

Negatives:

We're starting games far too slowly, it really takes something to spring us in to life. This really seems to be a recurring theme. Today for example, it took their goal to really get us going and after that we looked much better. 

The football has been very one paced and predictable a lot of the time. 

Some of the substitutions have been really bizarre.

We're a bit short of options in attack. Iheanacho's substitution highlights this. 

As I've said at the stage of the season points matter much more than performances. Many of our players were at the world cup and we've made a few signings who need to be eased in so we've not been able to find a rhythm. What I will say is that if we carry on playing like we did in the first half today and in the first half an hour against Wolves then it will soon catch up with us. I really want him to succeed here, there's a lot I like about him, but there are certainly things that need addressing. 

Very good summary

:thumbup:

• Like 1

On 21/08/2018 at 20:56, StriderHiryu said:

5y89ghcanhh11.jpg

Three players in the team of the weak. 2 of our new signings and one academy player promoted ahead of one of our legends.

Don't forget our shit holding midfielders (see Mendy thread) have an impact in freeing up Ben, Ricardo and Madders but Claude is shit in some eyes and they will always be blinkered sadly.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Positives:

He's really brought the average age of the team down massively. 

His persistence with Chilwell really seems to be paying off. 

It looks like he's recruited relatively well with Maddison, Ricardo, Evans etc. 

In our last two games we've managed to do enough to get the wins and that's all that matters at this stage of the season. The last two games are the types of games where we were dropping points towards the end of last season, with the exception of Brighton away.

At times we've played some nice one and two touch football, the kind of stuff we weren't seeing too often not that long ago. 

I think we may have found the solution in central midfield with Mendy. We've seen glimpses of the player that came with the growing reputation when we signed him.

Negatives:

We're starting games far too slowly, it really takes something to spring us in to life. This really seems to be a recurring theme. Today for example, it took their goal to really get us going and after that we looked much better. 

The football has been very one paced and predictable a lot of the time. 

Some of the substitutions have been really bizarre.

We're a bit short of options in attack. Iheanacho's substitution highlights this. 

As I've said at the stage of the season points matter much more than performances. Many of our players were at the world cup and we've made a few signings who need to be eased in so we've not been able to find a rhythm. What I will say is that if we carry on playing like we did in the first half today and in the first half an hour against Wolves then it will soon catch up with us. I really want him to succeed here, there's a lot I like about him, but there are certainly things that need addressing. 

:appl:Spot-on summary.

There are many areas for improvement and we could easily be sitting here on 0 points had luck not gone our way at certain times, but overall we've started the season OK, have 6 points on the board and have revitalised the team. I think when you look at Leicester now, whilst we are far away from the finished article there is a coherent plan and strategy to how we play and what we are trying to do. The team yesterday was littered with youngsters and if they all keep improving the team will just naturally get better. They don't all have the same upper potential (Amartey comes to mind), but then equally some may surprise us. Harry Maguire for example I thought would be good, I didn't think would be this good.

Maguire's interview with Gary Lineker on match of the day was very interesting. He said the aim was to finish above where we finished last season, but he didn't say Europe. So that implies 8th place as a target. But I think that realistically the club know that this is the transition year and I think will accept a top 10 finish as long as we play some decent stuff and stay clear of the relegation zone. That might not get us fans too excited but we are planting the seeds for future success and we are already showing signs of some good play.

• Like 2