Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gwyn

Time for a Puel in thread.

I am not sure what side of the fence I am on with Puel!

On the won hand I like the ethos of youth or younger players coming into the squad lowering the overhaul age is brilliant and as for the more ball possession based style of play is good to watch.

On the other hand players seem almost afraid to put a longer ball forward for Vardy now, which I feel still has its place if you’re chasing a game or the opposition has parked the bus with 10 at the back. Playing at home against Liverpool last week and with no striker in the team!

Also his substitutions are in my view appalling sometimes (we are losing the game 2-1 and he takes off Maddison and brings on Amartey) so bad its beggars belief.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grumpy old git said:

On the won hand I like the ethos of youth or younger players coming into the squad lowering the overhaul age is brilliant and as for the more ball possession based style of play is good to watch.

On the other hand players seem almost afraid to put a longer ball forward for Vardy now, which I feel still has its place if you’re chasing a game or the opposition has parked the bus with 10 at the back. Playing at home against Liverpool last week and with no striker in the team!

Also his substitutions are in my view appalling sometimes (we are losing the game 2-1 and he takes off Maddison and brings on Amartey) so bad its beggars belief.

Can’t think of anything worse than a long ball when we are playing against a packed defence. Your point about his subs say more about you and your understanding of the game than puel. 

Edited by OhYesNdidi
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, grumpy old git said:

You and others need to get on the 'Puel in' side of the fence.  After Palace and West Ham last year things looked bleak for him but he has been backed by the owners, backed in the transfer market and now he needs to be backed by the fans and let him build his team.

Subs can seem baffling but maybe Maddison had a knock?  It's nt a like for like swap anyway, Amartey can allow Ricardo to go RW and Ghezzal inside behind the forward.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, grumpy old git said:

I would argue we haven’t had enough evidence this campaign to make a judgement on that ....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bunyip said:

It's far to early to get either wildly optimistic or depressingly negative. We have only played four matches so far and all that can be taken from them is two lucky wins and two unlucky losses. Let's revisit this after another ten games, that way we should know if we are going forward backwards or just standing still. The next three games will be a big marker into which direction we are heading.

Spot on. Strange that we had more positives from our losses than our wins! 

Early days of course but I think we will play some good football this season but perhaps struggle to create enough chances, and so finish about 9th/10th again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grumpy old git said:

Grumpy ol' git is so grumpy,he can't see the obvious before his eyes!!!!  It beggars belief really

Maddison was tiring,on his gameday last knees...We don't want to grind this great potential,into the dust....

9 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

It beggars belief really

Maddison was tiring,on his gameday last knees...We don't want to grind this great potential,into the dust....

:appl: agreed. but..... Amartey??! he doesnt provide anything as a threat except sideways and backwards.

6 minutes ago, Simoken said:

:appl: agreed. but..... Amartey??! he doesnt provide anything as a threat except sideways and backwards.

Our only remaining outfield subs were Evans/Fuchs/Iborra/Amartey.

Evans wouldn't have been any better for chasing a game, a midfield 3 of Iborra-Mendy-Ndidi was perhaps even more defensive (as Chilwell/Pereira would have to stay as FBs rather than WBs) and its a coinflip between Fuchs/Amartey if we're looking to move to a 3atb and push on Pereira/Chilwell. Puel seems to like Amartey so that was his choice on this occasion.

I don't think the substitution was all that bizarre in context. A weak option, maybe, but the fault there lies in picking a bench with 3 defenders and a defensive midfielder. We probably would have been better with Silva on the bench as a straight swap for Maddison rather than 2 full backs, but that's something for Puel to take away and think about for next time.

• Like 2

I think he will keep his job this season, as long as he keeps us higher than 14th and away from any real danger, which he should and probably will with this squad! I'm not saying I'd be happy with 14th, but I do understand that a project like this needs time to come to full fruition. 

I agree with others who have said that we are still in a transition period, and so we do need to be patient this season.

I want us to be pushing for a European place now, but I can see what Puel is trying to do here, with the types of signings and promoting youth whenever possible.

I'm happy to stick with him this season, as long as he keeps us well away from danger, and we continue to play a decent brand of football. 

We will need further investment in the Summer in attacking areas, but if we hold onto our players (Maguire maybe only casualty) and add a few, then I expect us to really be pushing for a European spot next season, and Puel should be put under pressure to deliver that, and if he struggles to, then that is when we should genuinely start questioning his position.

Edited by STUHILL
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, STUHILL said:

I think he will keep his job this season, as long as he keeps us higher than 14th and away from any real danger, which he should and probably will with this squad! I'm not saying I'd be happy with 14th, but I do understand that a project like this needs time to come to full fruition. 

I agree with others who have said that we are still in a transition period, and so we do need to be patient this season.

I want us to be pushing for a European place now, but I can see what Puel is trying to do here, with the types of signings and promoting youth whenever possible.

I'm happy to stick with him this season, as long as he keeps us well away from danger, and we continue to play a decent brand of football. 

We will need further investment in the Summer in attacking areas, but if we hold onto our players (Maguire maybe only casualty) and add a few, then I expect us to really be pushing for a European spot next season, and Puel should be put under pressure to deliver that, and if he struggles to, then that is when we should genuinely start questioning his position.

I don't think any fan,has the right to push...!!!  The owners made their statement....

that's the one I'll be watching and considering,if they have let me/some of us down...

ambitions of top 6 this season nice but I want stability,progess,developement, more important!y performances...!!

I'd chuck away top 6 boring,for a top 8-12 performing,entertaining team....

even now I see city losing the EFL cup game....not good,but I ain't making our season dependant,on Any other fans frustrating dreams.

15 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I'd chuck away top 6 boring,for a top 8-12 performing,entertaining team....

You'd rather us finish in midtable than qualifying for Europe? Bizarre.

Noone remembers the seasons where they finish average, regardless of how 'good' the football is. Our Champions League campaign is still regularly talked about amongst fans though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xen said:

Noone remembers the seasons where they finish average, regardless of how 'good' the football is. Our Champions League campaign is still regularly talked about amongst fans though.

Weird isn't it?

Did fuchsntf not enjoy the adventure of Europe last time? Does he not want a bit of glory and achievement for the club?

Edited by Harry - LCFC

3 hours ago, Xen said:

We've taken over 134years, of so called bizarre seasons..to start to get the taste of what it might be like,to have a few more spoonfuls of that successfully period

of CL season.....but so far it was one.and with a totally different group of players.

We have now a new group of players,who will be developing a totally new character and even ethos.

Puel has to be given time and patience  to rebuild.....Ambitions and targets of course,but with some

easy laid-back common sense...

Maddison with Silva and Iborra,are finding their feet.We lose Maddison with injury,our approach I suppose could be different..

Mendy-Ndidi, with any of the 2 latter names,to hold the fort,and then hope to build from the back.

Hoping also some youngsters might break through but big!!!

First I have no big Ambitions for this season,other than to see Puel and his squad,can bring us to that platform

Where the ambition can grow and potential starts to show consistency  ,using the last few decent seasons has a springboard to the  top half PL ...

This season ,I am going to sit back and enjoy the journey,mixed with all those bumps diversions,causing road jams of frustration,but I won't

Jump on player errors,or selection descisions,not sub -intros....

If Puel and team by Xmas,show zilch-progress as turn up 80% of turgid performances,then my thoughts, will take an another tact.

If however,it's mainly boring,but we are 2-5th picking up great points Ala  old Arsenal.....I wouldn't give a damn!!!!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

Very good reasoning to see why Puel made the Amartey for Maddison sub in the Leicester Mercury:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-replaced-james-maddison-1962380

In the space of around 15 minutes Maddison had begun to fade, having only touched the ball 4 times, all of which were in his own half.

Maddison is still also yet to complete a full 90 minutes, showing he may not yet have the fitness to be able to complete a full 90 minutes at premier league level of play.

Taking Maddison off allowed Ghezzal to be moved to the left and for Ricardo to move forward onto the wing, where we all know he really shows his attacking threat, so it really wasn't as weird a sub as it seemed

• Like 3

5 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Very good reasoning to see why Puel made the Amartey for Maddison sub in the Leicester Mercury:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-replaced-james-maddison-1962380

In the space of around 15 minutes Maddison had begun to fade, having only touched the ball 4 times, all of which were in his own half.

Maddison is still also yet to complete a full 90 minutes, showing he may not yet have the fitness to be able to complete a full 90 minutes at premier league level of play.

Taking Maddison off allowed Ghezzal to be moved to the left and for Ricardo to move forward onto the wing, where we all know he really shows his attacking threat, so it really wasn't as weird a sub as it seemed

Yes, I too thought it very good reasoning and a good decision. 

I've come to accept that there's a certain percentage of our fanbase that will never be won over by Puel regardless of what happens. I've seen comments such as 'he's a fraud who is vastly out of his depth as a Premier League manager'. I'm sorry but he's finished 8th and 9th respectively as a premier league manager, that does not suggest that he's out of his depth for one second. I agree that he has his faults, but some people won't acknowledge positive things that he's done that even a blind man could see. The bottom line is, as long as there's no serious threat of relegation then he'll be here until the end of the season. 

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 3