Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gwyn

Time for a Puel in thread.

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

A questionable sub today (Madders / Amartey) and a failed gambit with Gray as striker but to be honest there was so much from that game that was exciting and genuinely good to see. Our actual play is really good, we pass it nicely, control the game and today made lots of decent chances. I’ve included the stats from today and they make good reading. 

Of course as we berated the Wolves fans for, the most important stat is the final score and we lost but no manager can account for defending like clowns. For the first goal I felt like Maguire backed off and poor defending led to their corner for which they had a free header. These are basic mistakes and they continue to plague us. I can see some different combinations at the back as a result because it’s our Achilles heel. 

Despite all that we have on average the youngest starting 11 in the league but we play with far more maturity than that. We are a work in progress and this is a transition season but from our first 5 games I’m quite satisfied. Despite the massive gulf in finances in the league we made both Man United and Liverpool look quite ordinary and in the future I hope we are competing with those teams instead of Burnley and Everton. 

I’m keeping the faith! (And this is from someone that felt he should have left after 5-0 palace defeat).

287F0925-C1F9-4505-961D-551A13FAE3EB.png

You post some good stuff on this forum mate :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

A questionable sub today (Madders / Amartey)

I said to my father-in-law at the game today that the only reason I could think for that sub was that he wanted to push Ricardo on as an attacking threat as he had more energy left than Maddison who'd been running about like a man possessed for 80 minutes on a baking hot afternoon. Ricardo actually created a few decent chances after he moved up the wing so on another day it may well have paid off.

We all sit as armchair managers criticising and thinking we know best but I'd argue 9/10 most of us haven't got the slightest clue about the thinking behind what are most probably quite calculated decisions. 

glad we're in agreement though - today was a good game that only the harshest Puel critics will moan about.

aside from a couple of short spells we were in control, look composed, playing some lovely passing across the whole pitch and in tight situations. you're correct, there was a maturity in the play of a very young squad.

keep things like this and we will make good progress eventually. I hope this is the start of a new journey to more good times. 

spirited to see a lot of people stick around at the end to clap the team and the manager off the pitch - shows that at the moment the majority can see past the end of their nose. 

Edited by lifted*fox
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

A questionable sub today (Madders / Amartey) and a failed gambit with Gray as striker but to be honest there was so much from that game that was exciting and genuinely good to see. Our actual play is really good, we pass it nicely, control the game and today made lots of decent chances. I’ve included the stats from today and they make good reading. 

Of course as we berated the Wolves fans for, the most important stat is the final score and we lost but no manager can account for defending like clowns. For the first goal I felt like Maguire backed off and poor defending led to their corner for which they had a free header. These are basic mistakes and they continue to plague us. I can see some different combinations at the back as a result because it’s our Achilles heel. 

Despite all that we have on average the youngest starting 11 in the league but we play with far more maturity than that. We are a work in progress and this is a transition season but from our first 5 games I’m quite satisfied. Despite the massive gulf in finances in the league we made both Man United and Liverpool look quite ordinary and in the future I hope we are competing with those teams instead of Burnley and Everton. 

I’m keeping the faith! (And this is from someone that felt he should have left after 5-0 palace defeat).

Same. He seemed to be asleep a moment before for their first real chance. Good game otherwise though.

• Like 1

I'm converted now, we're definitely improving and our team is genuinely quite exciting. Keep playing footie like that, then I'll have no complaints. My only issue today was the subs, it really ruined our momentum, sometimes it feels he changes it for the sake of it rather than bringing on someone he knows will make an impact

9 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

I said to my father-in-law at the game today that the only reason I could think for that sub was that he wanted to push Ricardo on as an attacking threat as he had more energy left than Maddison who'd been running about like a man possessed for 80 minutes on a baking hot afternoon. Ricardo actually created a few decent chances after he moved up the wing so on another day it may well have paid off.

We all sit as armchair managers criticising and thinking we know best but I'd argue 9/10 most of us haven't got the slightest clue about the thinking behind what are most probably quite calculated decisions. 

glad we're in agreement though - today was a good game that only the harshest Puel critics will moan about.

aside from a couple of short spells we were in control, look composed, playing some lovely passing across the whole pitch and in tight situations. you're correct, there was a maturity in the play of a very young squad.

keep things like this and we will make good progress eventually. I hope this is the start of a new journey to more good times. 

spirited to see a lot of people stick around at the end to clap the team and the manager off the pitch - shows that at the moment the majority can see past the end of their nose. 

Yeah I agree that’s why he made that sub but in my Football Manager version of today’s game I simply instructed Ricardo to not defend as I chased the equaliser. I’m glad to report that Ricardo crossed to Maddison to give me a 2-2 and prove that my Football Manager skills are real lol

Jokes aside as I’ve said a lot this season I like the team. A lot of fans think short term and immediate success and get disgruntled. But I see the youngest team in the league improving every game and know that although it might take a few seasons our trajectory at present looks very rosey. 

I also think it’s notable that players who played for the manager before such as Mendy and Ricardo are already key contributors to the team. If only Puel could convince Eden Hazard to join!

Edited by StriderHiryu

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

I also think it’s notable that players who played for the manager before such as Mendy and Ricardo are already key contributors to the team. If only Puel could convince Eden Hazard to join!

Yes mate - I see him giving instructions to Mendy; I think he's going to be a key player for us this season. Clearly a good relationship with Puel.

I thought he had an excellent game tbf, broke up lots of play and moved the ball about well. 

I genuinely liked how we set up today and in large parts it worked very well and was entertaining to watch.

a touch from morgan to put that ball in or maguire not snoozing for their corner and everyone would be over the moon with that performance. neither of those things were Puel's fault.

• Like 1

Ghezzal also previously trained under Puel and it’s no surprise that his positioning and linking of play was very good. He understands his role and plays it well. Only played a few times but looks decent business. 

Basically my point is that when everyone in the team understands the system and gets used to playing with one another we will go up a gear. Ndidi and Mendy have played with each other just three times! Their understanding looked like they’d played together for years. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EnglishOxide said:

I don't even see the need for a discussion about the manager.

He's clearly making a big impression on the majority of the squad, and gradually the coaching is paying off.

We are going forward, inch by inch.

Top ten finish and a cup run with a squad as young as this? Yes please.

Completely agree