Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

don't they hate rodgers (and to whatever extent tierney) because they are both fans of the club? 

and as fans of the club (and mostly, complete fu cking idiots) they cannot understand why you would ever leave? they can't get into their weird little heads that to have a decent career you can't just beat rangers a couple of times a year and be happy, like they are as fans. 

20 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

You can't generalise, no - and perhaps I was by insinuating their goblin fans disliked him as a majority - but in this isntance you can definitely use it to pour cold water on the statement that the fanbase in general love him, can't you? 

It's no better or worse a demographic of people than the "50% friends and family" mentioned above, is it? One man's social circle?

Its not an opinion based purely on my social circle though, is it. It's based on their opinion, the opinion of the people they are in the stands with, the opinion of the people they sit on the bus with, the opinion of the people on their forums..... saying, " on the whole" isn't saying 100% of their fans think it, its saying that the majority do and I'm telling you right now, as a fact, the majority of Celtic fans still love KT. They still rate him incredibly highly. They are still proud he is "one of their own". 

2 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Its not an opinion based purely on my social circle though, is it. It's based on their opinion, the opinion of the people they are in the stands with, the opinion of the people they sit on the bus with, the opinion of the people on their forums..... saying, " on the whole" isn't saying 100% of their fans think it, its saying that the majority do and I'm telling you right now, as a fact, the majority of Celtic fans still love KT. They still rate him incredibly highly. They are still proud he is "one of their own". 

out of interest why dont they think the same of rodgers, then? we are literally better than arsenal 

30 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

out of interest why dont they think the same of rodgers, then? we are literally better than arsenal 

Timing of when he left. They dont like that he left mid season whilst chasing their treble treble. They say they would feel entirely different had it been at the end of the season. 

3 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Timing of when he left. They dont like that he left mid season whilst chasing their treble treble. They say they would feel entirely different had it been at the end of the season. 

seems like a shit reason

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I'm really not convinced by this argument at all. Him joining us at any time would've been met with derision and spite.

I think that we forced him to move- we wanted him there and then and maybe might've looked elsewhere if he wanted to wait. I'm glad our club did what's best for us.

39 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Septic have dominated Scotland for years though. Rangers getting relegated helped massively also. 

They were always winning the treble. It'll be the same next Season and possibly the Season after. Rangers are finally starting to get themselves together again. 

I could go up there and win the League with them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

I'm really not convinced by this argument at all. Him joining us at any time would've been met with derision and spite.

I think that we forced him to move- we wanted him there and then and maybe might've looked elsewhere if he wanted to wait. I'm glad our club did what's best for us.

Listen, I'm not defending their opinion. I've always felt that it stemmed from a belief that they are too big a club for this to happen to them. Another example of it was in the summer there. A young Motherwell CM called Ross Turnbull rejected their contract offer and you wouldnt believe the hate he got for it. They couldn't believe he had the audacity to knock back the famous Glasgow Celtic. 

But that's their argument about Rodgers, that a self confessed Celtic man left them mid season....I suspect it hurt more because it was little old Leicester  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Listen, I'm not defending their opinion. I've always felt that it stemmed from a belief that they are too big a club for this to happen to them. Another example of it was in the summer there. A young Motherwell CM called Ross Turnbull rejected their contract offer and you wouldnt believe the hate he got for it. They couldn't believe he had the audacity to knock back the famous Glasgow Celtic. 

But that's their argument about Rodgers, that a self confessed Celtic man left them mid season....I suspect it hurt more because it was little old Leicester  

I understand why they are annoyed, we'd probably be the same (although denouncing his trophy wins is rather odd), I just don't see them accepting him leaving any less because it happened three months later. I've heard this opinion quite a bit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Corky said:

I understand why they are annoyed, we'd probably be the same (although denouncing his trophy wins is rather odd), I just don't see them accepting him leaving any less because it happened three months later. I've heard this opinion quite a bit.

They are a strange breed. 

I don’t buy the “timing” argument.  Celtic were so set up to complete that treble, any manager would have got them home and dry.

What many Celtic fans can’t tolerate is that Rodgers leaving for Leicester rubbed their noses in the real status of their club.  Rodgers told them (words) they were right, that the club’s identity and domestic trophies were the biggest thing in the world to him.  Then he went and showed (actions) what they are actually worth today outside the Old Firm bubble.  Consider the sizable part of the fanbase that have their tribal identity and self-worth massively tied up with the club, and …  lasting bile and hatred.  Would there have been much less if he’d left in the summer?

I think LCFC fans will manage it better when he moves on, because there is more realism about the status of the club and the role finances play.

I think what really winds Celtic fans up is the fact we’re doing really well, third and odds on for Champions League football. I bet most of their comments when he left were along the lines of ‘can’t believe he’s left trophies and CL football (if you call the 2nd qualifying round CL football) for mid table obscurity’. The fact we’ll go straight in at the group stages and they’ll have to play and lose to the runners up of Kazakhstan must be a tough one to take 

Edited by Staffs Fox
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

You said the were not a massive club anymore and that's just not true. Not the size they were but still huge.

Huge but with a smaller playing budget than Bournemouth. That says quite a lot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Corky said:

They dont like that Leicester is a bigger club than Celtic. It's a hard pill to swallow, especially for the Scottish who generally already have an inferiority complex.

The awkward fact for Celtic is that they have gone as far as they're going to. They'll more than likely win their tenth in a row next season, but it'll be in a league that's ranked on par with the Swiss or Czech leagues. Yes, Celtic have a bigger fanbase than us and almost every club in English football. In football terms though, they're minnows. Making the group stages of the Champions League is their target, for PL clubs it's automatic. 

The best SPL managers end up where Rodgers has - at a top 6 Premier League club gunning for the Champions League and trophies.

If both Leicester and Celtic qualify for the Champions League next season, one of us will get a minimum of six European games while the other will probably get dumped out by BATE Borisov in early August. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I’d say in general world terms we’ve probably surpassed them now to be honest on a global scale. We’ve won the premier league, without knowing stats for followers and fans I’d imagine we gauge a larger audience and following worldwide than Celtic do. 

You can’t argue that their history is much richer than ours, but in a progressive industry we’re the best known English team outside of the press’s big 6. And their fan base closer to home is a lot larger than ours too, but we’ve progressed beyond them as a brand globally. 

If that was the case, it'd be us being invited every year to the international champions doo-da and not them. 

They're box office. They can pull in 80000 in Chicago, Boston, Melbourne and be paid for it....whilst we end up.paying (yes, us paying) absolute non entities like Wolfsburg or real sociedad to.play us at home for a glamour friendly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Not trying to be contrary, but we are never a bigger club than them. Financially richer yes. But nothing else.

Heritage, fanbase, fame, status, trophies and general contribution to football....they murder us on every  count. 

BR made a career move in joining us. He'd run his course there, that's all. And we give him.a new challenge to pit his managerial wits with better players against better players

They play football in Scotland. 

Besides Septic and Rangers the Leagues are generally poor. 

If we were in the Scottish leagues we would have the same success. There was talk about Celtic and Rangers coming to the English leagues, would they do well? They'd be on par with the bottom bottom end of the Premier League and top end Championship. Would they have done well if they had an investment like Chelsea, Man City did years ago, probably. Who wouldn't have though? 

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

They play football in Scotland. 

Besides Septic and Rangers the Leagues are generally poor. 

If we were in the Scottish leagues we would have the same success. There was talk about Celtic and Rangers coming to the English leagues, would they do well? They'd be on par with the bottom bottom end of the Premier League and top end Championship. Would they have done well if they had an investment like Chelsea, Man City did years ago, probably. Who wouldn't have though? 

If they were in the PL, I feel Celtic would do well. Knocking around top six. They are a well run club. As much as their fans dislike their current board, they dont spend when they dont have to and they buy and scout well when they do. They have a solid infrastructure. Rangers on the other hand would be bottom of the championship within 3 years. Even in their day, they were a poorly run club. I could see it now. They would have the oldest team in the league, buying massive names who are over the hill on massive wages. 

I agree that we would do well in scotland but only because we are also a well run club and even then, it's hard to say we would have the same level of success that Celtic have had. Even with a poor rangers team, theres usually a half decent team who take a cup each year. To win 3 trebles in a row is impressive regardless. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

If they were in the PL, I feel Celtic would do well. Knocking around top six. They are a well run club. As much as their fans dislike their current board, they dont spend when they dont have to and they buy and scout well when they do. They have a solid infrastructure. Rangers on the other hand would be bottom of the championship within 3 years. Even in their day, they were a poorly run club. I could see it now. They would have the oldest team in the league, buying massive names who are over the hill on massive wages. 

I agree that we would do well in scotland but only because we are also a well run club and even then, it's hard to say we would have the same level of success that Celtic have had. Even with a poor rangers team, theres usually a half decent team who take a cup each year. To win 3 trebles in a row is impressive regardless. 

You would expect us to be in the top 3 as Leicester would be the 3rd biggest town in Scotland + have the 3rd biggest club ground.So on that basis 3rd biggest wage bill.As you well know,tv money counts for zilch up there.

Couldn’t agree more that Celtic would more than compete with most English teams on a level financial playing field.Would probably take a few seasons to build their squad up,but once momentum takes over anything would be possible.Which is why we will never get to find out.Arsenal,Spurs and the like are hardly going to welcome potential competition for those Euro spots.

Leicester are doing well right now.It just takes one relegation and it all changes.When MON left for Celtic.We excepted it.The minute Celtic showed an interest we knew he was gone.Even though we were establishing ourselves as a good Prem team.With a similar sized wage bill even back then,Ok he had a connection and all that,but still Celtic were a big big draw.It only feels like yesterday.I would think if some sort of break away league was formed on an invitational basis.Celtic would be invited long before us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I dont think Celtic would be top 6. Big club yes no debating that...But i  also think more footballers  would want to play in England in the major cities like London,  Manchester,  Liverpool (is what it is).  It's not a dig at Glasgow at all but just my thoughts. I  could see them being mid table or in the pack we get thrown in with (Everton,  Wolves etc) seeing as we arent a "big top 6 club".

But it wont happen as they'd have to agree to start at the bottom of the pyramid and work their way up (only fair).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Staffs Fox said:

I think what really winds Celtic fans up is the fact we’re doing really well, third and odds on for Champions League football. I bet most of their comments when he left were along the lines of ‘can’t believe he’s left trophies and CL football (if you call the 2nd qualifying round CL football) for mid table obscurity’. The fact we’ll go straight in at the group stages and they’ll have to play and lose to the runners up of Kazakhstan must be a tough one to take 

Welcome to mediocrity they said wasn't it, before literally losing at home to Copenhagen.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bilo said:

The awkward fact for Celtic is that they have gone as far as they're going to. They'll more than likely win their tenth in a row next season, but it'll be in a league that's ranked on par with the Swiss or Czech leagues. Yes, Celtic have a bigger fanbase than us and almost every club in English football. In football terms though, they're minnows. Making the group stages of the Champions League is their target, for PL clubs it's automatic. 

The best SPL managers end up where Rodgers has - at a top 6 Premier League club gunning for the Champions League and trophies.

If both Leicester and Celtic qualify for the Champions League next season, one of us will get a minimum of six European games while the other will probably get dumped out by BATE Borisov in early August. 

They're the Scottish Red Star Belgrade. Nobody would bat an eyelid if Red Star's manager joined any PL club either.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

You would expect us to be in the top 3 as Leicester would be the 3rd biggest town in Scotland + have the 3rd biggest club ground.So on that basis 3rd biggest wage bill.As you well know,tv money counts for zilch up there.

Couldn’t agree more that Celtic would more than compete with most English teams on a level financial playing field.Would probably take a few seasons to build their squad up,but once momentum takes over anything would be possible.Which is why we will never get to find out.Arsenal,Spurs and the like are hardly going to welcome potential competition for those Euro spots.

Leicester are doing well right now.It just takes one relegation and it all changes.When MON left for Celtic.We excepted it.The minute Celtic showed an interest we knew he was gone.Even though we were establishing ourselves as a good Prem team.With a similar sized wage bill even back then,Ok he had a connection and all that,but still Celtic were a big big draw.It only feels like yesterday.I would think if some sort of break away league was formed on an invitational basis.Celtic would be invited long before us.

They have been talking about a breakaway league since I was young. Celtic and Rangers would be prime candidates, along with the likes of Ajax, PSV, Porto, Benfica, Sporting, Rosenberg, Copenhagen. 

It would make sense for teams like that. 

Any club in the top 5 leagues would be better staying put though. 

Having said all that, it will never happen.