Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

21 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Watched this earlier, really enjoyed it until the end when Dyer says “if I’m a player now and Arsenal and Leicester offers me the same wages, I’m going Arsenal all day”

Are you REALLY tho? Just to say ‘Arsenal are the bigger club’ discounts everything we have going for us - better manager, new training ground coming, one of the best starting 11s in the league. 

I suppose maybe it shows where our standing still is in the football world, maybe in 12 months the answer might not be such a straight forward one. Guess it’s all about sustained success. 

We need to get UCL 3 times in a row before we can start to be discussed in this way imo. This is just the beginning of the challenge ahead. We need to continually improve in a way where even without the finances of a big club we can still get players that cvan take us to the next level.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Watched this earlier, really enjoyed it until the end when Dyer says “if I’m a player now and Arsenal and Leicester offers me the same wages, I’m going Arsenal all day”

Are you REALLY tho? Just to say ‘Arsenal are the bigger club’ discounts everything we have going for us - better manager, new training ground coming, one of the best starting 11s in the league. 

I suppose maybe it shows where our standing still is in the football world, maybe in 12 months the answer might not be such a straight forward one. Guess it’s all about sustained success. 

Dyer didn't really counter the True Geordie's point at all, about younger players coming through who might have the decision to make.

• Like 1

Leicester City will be title contenders next season, says Premier League manager
The Manchester City boss is predicting a tight battle at the top of the Premier League next season, in contrast to this season's one-horse race with Liverpool cantering to the title

ByJordan Blackwell
17:00, 22 JUN 2020
SPORT

Leicester City are one of seven teams who can challenge for the Premier League title next season, Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has said.

While this season’s title race has been dominated by Liverpool, who require just five points from their final eight games to finish top for the first time in 30 years, Guardiola said next term could see a tightly-fought battle for the trophy, with Leicester in the thick of it.

Brendan Rodgers’ men showed their potential for a title challenge in the first half of the campaign, when they were hanging on to Liverpool’s coattails until Christmas.

But with their young squad a year older, Guardiola expects them to be one of many sides who will be stronger next year.

“Hopefully we can learn from our beginning to the season,” said Guardiola, when asked about a Man City title challenge next term. “After winning the Community Shield against Liverpool, we dropped points maybe we didn’t expect. But I don’t know if it’s going to happen.

“I think every season the opponents get stronger. Liverpool will remain the strong team they are, we are seeing how Chelsea are investing in this transfer market.

“We saw in the last period how Man United made a step forward.

“Tottenham are going to recover a lot of injured players, with Son (Heung-min), Harry Kane and other players and with an experienced manager like (Jose) Mourinho they are always going to be strong.

“Arsenal with more time with Mikel (Arteta), it's going to happen. And Leicester you know.

“Every season the teams are stronger and stronger and it will be more difficult. When we retained the title we were the first for 10 years so you know how difficult it is to do that.”

For the time being, Leicester’s focus is on finishing inside the Champions League places. Their cushion inside the top four remained at eight points after the first round of Premier League action, although Chelsea’s win over Aston Villa brought them to within a win of overtaking City.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-title-contenders-next-4252833?fbclid=IwAR2B4IWGBhU6agSPMpvXPJv70lG5DTE9G34dKSLqF2HoPfjukCG75zYbkoc

Pep is very clever and knows exactly what to say to the media. 

Man City win the league and he makes it sound more impressive because there are 7 challengers. 

Man City don’t win the league and it’s because the competition is so good and so strong. 

• Like 1

On 23/06/2020 at 12:23, pmcla26 said:

I’m sure most players would still say the same, but as True Geordie points out, if you’re a young player who hasn’t witnessed Arsenal as a great team would you really care? Kieron Dyer played against Arsenals invincibles and will forever associate them with that, young players today are playing against the Arsenal that got rattled by Maupay and done over twice by Brighton. 

We’re a long way off being as big as Arsenal no doubt about that, but Arsenal are yet to sign any of our players or manager that they’ve wanted since we’ve been back in the Prem and I don’t see that changing anytime soon, in fact we’ve been linked with a couple of their players recently in Tierney and Guendouzi, if we make top 4 things might continue to shift in the right direction.

Fans and pundits have engraved opinions of certain clubs that survives despite recent status. I'm not sure that our title win elevates us other than being the 'little' club fairytale. 

The likes of the BBC still see Sunderland as a big club as they won the FA Cup in '73 and NottsF as they won a now defunct Euro Cup 40 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

Fans and pundits have engraved opinions of certain clubs that survives despite recent status. I'm not sure that our title win elevates us other than being the 'little' club fairytale. 

The likes of the BBC still see Sunderland as a big club as they won the FA Cup in '73 and NottsF as they won a now defunct Euro Cup 40 years ago. 

This is true. You start to wonder how (if at all) we shift this perception. Imagine it is longevity in success/higher finishes, but this does not really make sense for Sunderland or even Forest.

Suspect it as simple as pundits (majority of whom are ex players) have a time frame they relate to, either as players or players they knew, so therefore all their reference points are older than the last 5-10 years in general.

5 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Realistically, from the outside we are still just a fairy tale club. What we did in 15/16 was amazing but no one expects that or expects us to stay amongst the pack. Traditionally, we have been in between the championship and premier league (or Div 1/Div 2 in the old days) and what we did in 15/16 needs to be continued over a long consistent period for us to even contemplate changing that status tag. From the outside, we did what we did in 15/16 and then followed it up with a relegation fight and a couple of mid table finishes. 

Most fans of other teams, would not follow us to understand what is happening behind the scenes. For example, the training ground, the stadium expansion the continuous investment by the Chairman to break that status quo so its on the pitch where you change opinion. Best example is teams like Seville or a few years ago, Valencia - these teams are seen as bigger clubs because of sustained period of success. I mean our trophy cabinet is pretty bear, three league cups and a premier league trophy. Yes, we had some very good teams in the past under Bloomfield, Wallace, Milne and O'Neil but no real period of sustained success. From the outside, we are a small club who did something amazing. 

Its why, given the position we have got ourselves into, qualification in to the champions league is very important this year to attempt to change the opinion of the next level player that we should be attempting to attract. I mean if we finish say 6th, that is a massive improvement on last year. We have technically moved upwards and in the right direction but given where we were in December, from the outside again, it would look like the wheels have come off and Leicester are heading back to their mid-table security. We also need to add some cups to the cabinet over a pro-long period. Basically, we need a 10 year golden period of top 4/6 finishes, a few league and FA Cup wins and maybe a Europa League to change that opinion of little old' Leicester. Until we have that, despite there current problems teams like Arsenal will be more appealing because of their potential and who they can attract just for being Arsenal. 

(Spudlike, I have no idea why my post quotes yours but my lack of IT skills means I cant get rid of it!)

• Haha 1

On 23/06/2020 at 04:23, pmcla26 said:

says it all about his mentality. would rather go to a club in their state on the same wages rather than challenge himself and go to an improving squad/manager.

Think people are being a bit harsh on us here, we get a lot of positive attention from pundits and fans, we get quite a lot of respect for what we’re doing and it’s not like we get called small either, the only reason some clubs below the Prem get called big is because pundits often don’t know what else to say about them.

Where teams like Sunderland and especially Forest are concerned I don’t think they get called big in the media all that often either, someone might say something along the lines of it being a good thing to have them back in the Prem because they’re a big club but that just means too big for the league they’re in (debatable in itself), if the media really thought they were these massive clubs they would give them far more attention than they do.

Edited by Yes
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Leicester City will be title contenders next season, says Premier League manager
The Manchester City boss is predicting a tight battle at the top of the Premier League next season, in contrast to this season's one-horse race with Liverpool cantering to the title

ByJordan Blackwell
17:00, 22 JUN 2020
SPORT

Leicester City are one of seven teams who can challenge for the Premier League title next season, Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has said.

While this season’s title race has been dominated by Liverpool, who require just five points from their final eight games to finish top for the first time in 30 years, Guardiola said next term could see a tightly-fought battle for the trophy, with Leicester in the thick of it.

Brendan Rodgers’ men showed their potential for a title challenge in the first half of the campaign, when they were hanging on to Liverpool’s coattails until Christmas.

But with their young squad a year older, Guardiola expects them to be one of many sides who will be stronger next year.

“Hopefully we can learn from our beginning to the season,” said Guardiola, when asked about a Man City title challenge next term. “After winning the Community Shield against Liverpool, we dropped points maybe we didn’t expect. But I don’t know if it’s going to happen.

“I think every season the opponents get stronger. Liverpool will remain the strong team they are, we are seeing how Chelsea are investing in this transfer market.

“We saw in the last period how Man United made a step forward.

“Tottenham are going to recover a lot of injured players, with Son (Heung-min), Harry Kane and other players and with an experienced manager like (Jose) Mourinho they are always going to be strong.

“Arsenal with more time with Mikel (Arteta), it's going to happen. And Leicester you know.

“Every season the teams are stronger and stronger and it will be more difficult. When we retained the title we were the first for 10 years so you know how difficult it is to do that.”

For the time being, Leicester’s focus is on finishing inside the Champions League places. Their cushion inside the top four remained at eight points after the first round of Premier League action, although Chelsea’s win over Aston Villa brought them to within a win of overtaking City.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-title-contenders-next-4252833?fbclid=IwAR2B4IWGBhU6agSPMpvXPJv70lG5DTE9G34dKSLqF2HoPfjukCG75zYbkoc

Can Pep somehow ensure we get top 4 this season as well please, then we'll worry about next season.

• Haha 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Can Pep somehow ensure we get top 4 this season as well please, then we'll worry about next season.

To be fair he is doing his bit with their reckless spending lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Pep is very clever and knows exactly what to say to the media. 

Man City win the league and he makes it sound more impressive because there are 7 challengers. 

Man City don’t win the league and it’s because the competition is so good and so strong. 

Spot on. I’d say you’re the clever one.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

You'd have hated the full article where he goes on about beard growth and social media follows!!

This is what I read, it is not right obviously, but I think its better  :thumbup:

Seriously though, you need this type of thinking in order to grow clubs, and did he outline where the uplift has come geographically?

39 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Our marketing manager has said our fanbase has seen a 400% growth in the last 18 months. 

It must have been even bigger for you when you won the league. 

How’s that measured with social media follows? I think we’ve got the most followers combined on social media outside the top/big 6 teams, by quite a bit as well but a lot won’t be fans of the club realistically.

On 25/06/2020 at 11:20, Mickyblueeyes said:

Realistically, from the outside we are still just a fairy tale club. What we did in 15/16 was amazing but no one expects that or expects us to stay amongst the pack. Traditionally, we have been in between the championship and premier league (or Div 1/Div 2 in the old days) and what we did in 15/16 needs to be continued over a long consistent period for us to even contemplate changing that status tag. From the outside, we did what we did in 15/16 and then followed it up with a relegation fight and a couple of mid table finishes. 

Most fans of other teams, would not follow us to understand what is happening behind the scenes. For example, the training ground, the stadium expansion the continuous investment by the Chairman to break that status quo so its on the pitch where you change opinion. Best example is teams like Seville or a few years ago, Valencia - these teams are seen as bigger clubs because of sustained period of success. I mean our trophy cabinet is pretty bear, three league cups and a premier league trophy. Yes, we had some very good teams in the past under Bloomfield, Wallace, Milne and O'Neil but no real period of sustained success. From the outside, we are a small club who did something amazing. 

Its why, given the position we have got ourselves into, qualification in to the champions league is very important this year to attempt to change the opinion of the next level player that we should be attempting to attract. I mean if we finish say 6th, that is a massive improvement on last year. We have technically moved upwards and in the right direction but given where we were in December, from the outside again, it would look like the wheels have come off and Leicester are heading back to their mid-table security. We also need to add some cups to the cabinet over a pro-long period. Basically, we need a 10 year golden period of top 4/6 finishes, a few league and FA Cup wins and maybe a Europa League to change that opinion of little old' Leicester. Until we have that, despite there current problems teams like Arsenal will be more appealing because of their potential and who they can attract just for being Arsenal. 

(Spudlike, I have no idea why my post quotes yours but my lack of IT skills means I cant get rid of it!)

See. For me we are a big club.

Especially in my life time. 2 League Cups, Wembley Trips? I've lost count Premier League win.. 

I think that puts us something like 5th or 6th best in England trophies wise in that time period. 

What defines a big club? West Ham, Newcastle and Everton get talked about as big clubs are they? 

But yes I do agree we do need a few more trophies and to stay where we are now for a few seasons. The top 4 became the top 6 which will probably become the top 8.

Edited by Ashley

14 minutes ago, Ashley said:

What defines a big club? West Ham, Newcastle and Everton get talked about as big clubs are they? 

Our stadium has and continues to hold us back, shame nothing has been done since the title win. It's still just a copy of Southamptons.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ashley said:

See. For me we are a big club.

Especially in my life time. 2 League Cups, Wembley Trips? I've lost count Premier League win.. 

I think that puts us something like 5th or 6th best in England trophies wise in that time period. 

But yes I do agree we do need a few more trophies and to stay where we are now for a few seasons. The top 4 became the top 6 which will probably become the top 8.

I think we are too. In my lifetime we've won more than Spurs/Everton etc.

The only thing that has let us down in that period is our inability to stay in the division.

It confuses me because people talk of Newcastle as a big club when they've won fvck all in the last 50 years. It's just because they play at a big ground. Same as Leeds. Leeds are pretty average but again seen as a "big club" to the point where people say "they should be in the PL". Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure we've won one major trophy less than Leeds.

We need a couple more trophies definitely. And a bigger ground (to at least 35-40k).

I think we're a club that fits into both divisions. We're a big club in the Championship- our history of promotions, promotion attempts shows that- and we're a lower end to mid-table club in the top division. As Fox92 says, our inability to have a long spell in it has held us back but in 14 years of Premier League football, we'll have had 8 top half finishes (assuming we don't have a ridiculous, record-breaking collapse from here) so we have been capable of adapting to the higher level.

Historically we're about 22nd on the all time league table I think, and 14th on the Premier League points table, so we're not a tiny club who've come from nowhere but not a sleeping giant either. We've not had the sustained success of some clubs nor the long decline/ exile from the top flight.

• Like 2