Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

The way that people talk about Celtic and Rangers ....... you’d expect Newcastle United to be massive, top 6 and challenging for the Premier League as well. (Right)? 

Unfortunately, that’s not how football works. 

3 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

podcasts have given the annoying student/middle class twerps you'd usually have to endure in the pub a platform to navel gaze and bore people with their inane, i'm so smart and knowledgeable opinions. 

Took my exact thoughts straight out my head.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Celtic around the start of the Premier League were a terrible side, regularly finishing below Aberdeen and Motherwell, not qualifying for Europe every season. I think They finished as low as 5th and had a few seasons outside the top 2. Old Firm games aside regularly had attendance below 20,000.

Yes it was definitely Rangers time around that period,and they would have hit the ground running.They beat the English champions twice that season,as I’m sure you remember and would have been serious competition from the get go.It shows that things were a lot more equal back then.If the old firm had been invited down then Aberdeen would certainly have had a claim.As a 7 year old I could reel the Fergie first 11 straight off.Incredible that they were household names.I could only name 2 Aberdeen players from the last 20 years now.Windass and Rooney?That Aberdeen team would sit comfortably in the top 4 of the old Division one.

As for Celtic,well a move south would have revitalised them.If only to survive the first couple of seasons.Then I’m sure they would’ve gone on to build up to be a force to contend with.We will never know.It doesn’t matter how they landed in England.They would either potentially deprive 2 English teams of promotion.Or potentially deprive two English teams of Europe.Not going to happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heathrow fox said:

Yes it was definitely Rangers time around that period,and they would have hit the ground running.They beat the English champions twice that season,as I’m sure you remember and would have been serious competition from the get go.It shows that things were a lot more equal back then.If the old firm had been invited down then Aberdeen would certainly have had a claim.As a 7 year old I could reel the Fergie first 11 straight off.Incredible that they were household names.I could only name 2 Aberdeen players from the last 20 years now.Windass and Rooney?That Aberdeen team would sit comfortably in the top 4 of the old Division one.

As for Celtic,well a move south would have revitalised them.If only to survive the first couple of seasons.Then I’m sure they would’ve gone on to build up to be a force to contend with.We will never know.It doesn’t matter how they landed in England.They would either potentially deprive 2 English teams of promotion.Or potentially deprive two English teams of Europe.Not going to happen.

Great points, though I can’t believe you got Rooney and Windass and forgot James Madison and Steven Hughes 

25 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Be interesting to see how that has changed post 1990 with all seater stadia 

I’ll have a look at ours vs a few clubs later for 90s onwards. Think all 92 would take a while so I’ll just stick to Midlands clubs and maybe chuck in Leeds and the Sheffield clubs.

26 minutes ago, Yes said:

I’ll have a look at ours vs a few clubs later for 90s onwards. Think all 92 would take a while so I’ll just stick to Midlands clubs and maybe chuck in Leeds and the Sheffield clubs.

My guess would be us move up a couple of places.Don’t think there will be much movement.If anything the top clubs averages will have increased due to footballs popularity in this period.Arsenal and Man U just two who took advantage and increased capacity to 1950s levels.

5 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

My guess would be us move up a couple of places.Don’t think there will be much movement.If anything the top clubs averages will have increased due to footballs popularity in this period.Arsenal and Man U just two who took advantage and increased capacity to 1950s levels.

Yeah I don’t think there will be massive difference for us and the clubs I mentioned but I’ll look at last 10/20 years as well should see some change in that time.

38 minutes ago, Yes said:

Bit pointless because I’ve not done all the teams but here’s some attendance numbers from different points in time with the teams I mentioned earlier for anyone interested. 

1947-2020

Villa 31,291

Leeds 28,017

Wolves 25,371

Sheff W 24,304

Leicester 22,698

Forest 22,538

West Brom 22,110 

Birmingham 22,092

Derby 22,092 

Sheff U 20,792

Stoke 19,745

Coventry 17,762 

1990-2020 

Villa 34,000

Leeds 30,113

Derby 24,326 

Sheff W 23,868

Wolves 23,253 

Leicester 22,892

Forest 22,735

West Brom 20,580

Sheff U 20,539

Birmingham 19,752

Stoke 18,942

Coventry 15,085

2003-2020 (move to KP onwards)

Villa 36,089

Leeds 27,580

Derby 26,833

Leicester 26,800

Wolves 25,150

West Brom 24,443

Forest 23,039

Stoke 22,838

Sheff W 22,831

Sheff U 22,814

Birmingham 22,222

Coventry 13,622

2010-2020

Villa 35,499

Leicester 28,077

Derby 27,102

Leeds 27,012

Stoke 26,678

Wolves 25,384

West Brom 24,408

Forest 23,530

Sheff W 23,051

Sheff U 22,321 

Birmingham 19,851

Coventry 11,031

some notes:

-Leicester are massive and growing 

-This clearly shows Forest belong below us. 

-Derby have done alright in fairness especially last 20 years or so considering how poor they’ve been for a lot of that.

also I know there’s a lot of reasons why attendances go up and down it’s not that deep just find it interesting to see changes over time. 

I presume this is just League games?

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

I presume this is just League games?

Yeah just league, numbers taken from a website called European Football Statistics they’ve got every clubs attendance history plus a few other bits, as far as I know it’s accurate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wakeyfox said:

It still seems unreal that this happened to our club.... 

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

It could have been a few clubs, 
Southampton, Stoke, West Ham etc but it was us. I've been following us for decades with the majority of that being shite. sometimes I still can't believe it.

Yeah thats how I feel, of all the clubs it was ours. Madness. 

• Like 1

More Brendan media:

Probably getting a bit bored in lockdown! But can't blame him, I'm feeling the same way!

Some interesting points:

• Thinks Leicester will come out of the pandemic in a stronger position, as communication has been great among the group, and that leadership such as Top, Rudkin, Wheelan also really good. Sounds promising!
  • Danny Simpson only worked with Rodgers for 4 months but said he was one of the best coaches he ever worked with.
  • When he was younger, his philosophy was based on giving kids confidence. Really admired the Barcelona "dream team" of Cruyff, but wanted the fusion of British fight and mentality, and the European game of passing it about, moving people around, etc Wants his team to impose their style of play on any game they play.

Edited by StriderHiryu

• 3 weeks later...