Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Fox Covert

When will an Asian footballer play for England?

Interesting watch on the BBC website this morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/clip/a3e9e594-139a-4e81-bd3e-638c7006c4f6

Choudhury as the banner photo but the news feature has been mostly researched around Wolverhampton.

City's efforts to find Asian players good enough to make the grade even at club level, let along international football has been generally fruitless.

Before Choudury, Aman Verma earned a professional contract but never made the first team.

I seem to remember there was an Asian youth team player in the late 70s but can't recall his name.

Guest MattP

Will happen usually a generation after that community has a huge interest in the sport. That has occured now so at a guess I'd say sometime in the next 10-15 years.

In Cricket the opposite has happened, the West Indian communities interest in the sport in the 60's and 70's from the homeland saw us growing up with 4-5 black players in the team in the 90's (Malcolm, De Freitas, Lewis, Tudor, Small etc), now we have none and barely any in the county game as the kids from that demographic prefer football.

Edited by MattP

Things like this is just looking for issues. I remember when they made a big fuss of the lack of Asian players in the premier league ignoring the fact son, okazaki, nakata, park, sun jihai (spelling is probably wrong) kagawa etc are all Asian and all played in the premier league. I maybe missing the point but it just feels like the media pick and choose what qualifies as Asian just so they can generate a problem.

4 hours ago, daventry_fox said:

Things like this is just looking for issues. I remember when they made a big fuss of the lack of Asian players in the premier league ignoring the fact son, okazaki, nakata, park, sun jihai (spelling is probably wrong) kagawa etc are all Asian and all played in the premier league. I maybe missing the point but it just feels like the media pick and choose what qualifies as Asian just so they can generate a problem.

They clearly mean South Asian.

I think it’s generally quite interesting considering ~6.9% of the UK population are ethnically Asian/British Asian and only ~3% are ethnically Black/Black British. And yet the difference in top flight football representation is statistically crazy. 

You have to wonder why the discrepancy?

20 hours ago, Phube said:

I think it’s generally quite interesting considering ~6.9% of the UK population are ethnically Asian/British Asian and only ~3% are ethnically Black/Black British. And yet the difference in top flight football representation is statistically crazy. 

You have to wonder why the discrepancy?

Before,we go down any lane and ask obscure questions about individuals let's put some direct and indirect questions on the table...

• When did any British colonial football teams,black or white become regulars in the world cup...where in cricket and hockey they are abundant.
  • Why do S.Africa,N.Zealand,Australia,..USA ,high sports competion,and contention per.persona quota,struggle even after 60+years
  • Where internationally are Asian countries developed,enough to compete on the footballs world stage.
  • How many sports WWide,are British expats not involved at any high level in nrs...more than some Brits and their modern media can realise.
  • And why not to the above...I
  • How many Britexpats,want their offspring to join,lacross, thai-boxing,baseball clubs...
  • France and Holland had an higher quota of players from other roots,earlier than Eng.fa
  • Where are the utilities,the financial support in local area,where coaches take interest in all.
  • Why in 2018,do we still have ethnic areas,in our society
  • Why are English coaches NOT sort after...other than the developing nations.

I don't believe the question ,was put out to aggitate,it's readers it's a good question.Off course their are people who want to

Abuse,and put dark shadows on the table...cynisism,is a human trait..

There are simple reasons ,where people are scared to mention in this part of the world...while the fear is bordering on racism,

one is average hight and body strength and balance in other areas,but as skilled in using their own natural given characteristics

Japan and Korean countries have learnt how to compete,by strengthing through determination to be footballing nations,their players

own Strength,in central gravity and balance,in their slightly taller individuals.

for sports like football and Rugby.and by God have they done well

Cultural interests in pastimes,even

When coming to UK Generations of fanatical love,for Hockey,cricket,badminton,and single events in Athletics.Goes sometimes beyond

anything touching football fanatics,European style.

• Like 1

I've never got the theory that kids from Asian origin are overlooked for racism or reasons like that. Clubs will be drooling over a kid of Indian origin being top drawer. Can you imagine the marketing potential? Football is a cynical business and money talks. I personally believe it's only a matter of time before somebody of indian/Pakistani origin makes it to the top. 

• Like 3