Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Wolves H Post Match Thread 2-0

Stats can be used to prove anything. 81% of people know that!

But sometimes they can be useful. Here are the offensive stats from WhoScored. Notable that two of our new signings scored very highly and Chilwell came out as top points scorer - one of the results of Puel's strategy of fullbacks that bomb on.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1284757/LiveStatistics/England-Premier-League-2018-2019-Leicester-Wolverhampton-Wanderers

Mendy also rewarded the manager with a very solid score, though Evans stopped it being a clean sweep of good decisions with the lowest score from our starting 11. I'm sure the Turkish lad who just joined is licking his lips already.

I'd personally rate Puel highly in our first two games. I think he made the right team selections and right substitutions at the right time. Many were critical of Amartey starting last week, but I think that was down to who was available than who he wanted, as proved with today's starting 11.

OffensiveStats.PNG

Edited by StriderHiryu

31 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

I hope you told her that it isn’t your fault she’s a halfwit. 

I said look go in the middle like I did there's no queue, she said "there's no queue cos you just pushed in" I said can't push in if there's no queue" she said you're a mug. I took a sip of my £4.95 Chang and said you're the mug love. 

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I usually agree with you, but not over this. Sure, he’s strong as an ox and quick, but the times his final pass was a little too short, or went straight out into touch etc was clear. If he wasn’t an athlete, he’d never be a footballer.

Fair point! I do think he looked better than when he played against us for Boro, but do appreciate that his physicality is what gets him into the team.

Maybe I was just too nervous ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TazzerFox said:

Not getting this Evans hate at all.. You would think he made numerous mistakes which resulted in them scoring a hatfull. He had a shaky 20 minutes mainly because he was getting dragged out wide due to Ricardo being out of position and allowing balls over the top in to that left wing channel. After that he was as solid as you like and helped in defending set pieces. We also finished with a clean sheet, something which we miss out on all too regularly.

Ricardo for me seems much more comfortable as a Winger or Wing back and definitely has moments of brilliance. Mendy was fantastic and him and Ndidi could be a very solid midfield pairing, my only concern is a potential lack of creativity. 

Vardy challenge was a definite red after seeing the replays, excessive force and could have broke the lads leg. Thought Iheanacho looked decent when he came on and he might benefit from a run of games now.

He made numerous mistakes that could easily have had Wolves ahead several goals, but instead we got crazy lucky that they couldn't finish. "Shaky"? His first half was a nightmare, he looked slow AF and wholly unable to use his experience to stop their wing turning the corner with his positioning bc he was too f'ing slow. Yes, he looked much better 2H, but it would be hard to look as bad as the 1H.

You mention Mendy and a potential lack of creativity, yes, I think we saw a big difference here, but I also think that had to do with starting Albrighton. Starting Mendy for Silva in MF and Albrighton for Pereira made us far less dynamic and attacking. In all honesty, I think it was critical that Amartey came on at RB and played well, we are likely at our best when Pereira is on the wing. 

I think we'll be better with Iheanacho than Vardy starting. Vardy is a great striker, but this system does not take advantage of his speed at all. He likes to play off the deepest CB's hip and make runs behind, when what we need in this system is a striker who can come back for the ball and play in the wings or AMs. It is obvious at this point that we build too slowly from the back now and rarely send balls over the top for him to chase, so his best attribute -- his pace -- is rarely featured now. He still has the cunning and experience to score goals, but we cannot reach our full potential in this system with Vardy as our striker, sad as that is to say. What we really need is a target man with a gift for hold-up play who can come back for the ball, finish, and play his teammates into dangerous parts of the pitch. Especially if we are going to be starting Albrighton at RW, MA will pump in 10-15 of them and we get nothing out of it just about every game, save for this fluke today.

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Shaky is generous, the moment they got up against him they were through, and far too easily. If Morgan put in that display people would be demanding he was shipped off to Hinckley.

Because the supposed right back was no where to be seen half the time that's why. Look at the space he keeps leaving. Him and Albrighton were shocking first half defensively!

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Because the supposed right back was no where to be seen half the time that's why. Look at the space he keeps leaving. Him and Albrighton were shocking first half defensively!

Agreed, people slating Evans first half performance seem to be ignoring the fact he was being left completely exposed by Albrighton and Ricardo. But Ricardo is a shiny young exciting player and Evans is an ageing player that people seemingly can't wait to write off. So I suppose it shouldn't be suprising

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I said look go in the middle like I did there's no queue, she said "there's no queue cos you just pushed in" I said can't push in if there's no queue" she said you're a mug. I took a sip of my £4.95 Chang and said you're the mug love. 

I rekon you should’ve beaten her husband up to punish her low levels of common sense. 

Just now, TazzerFox said:

Agreed, people slating Evans first half performance seem to be ignoring the fact he was being left completely exposed by Albrighton and Ricardo. But Ricardo is a shiny young exciting player and Evans is an ageing player that people seemingly can't wait to write off. So I suppose it shouldn't be suprising

Neither of them were getting tight to their man or on the correct side of their man for almost every attack. Evans had his own dodgy moments, but Christ those two made the job a damn site harder than it needed to be for him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

CBs can be uncomfortable going wide fair, but it's not as if they were 2 v 1 on him, it was 1 v 1 and every time it was a simple knock past and run round, he looked abysmal. Morgan was far better last week than Evans was today, and he was slaughtered on here. If Benalouane had been playing and put in the performance Evans did this thread would have 100 posts asking why that clown is even still at the club.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

Can we talk about what a tackle is?

For me, someone is tackled when they have control of the ball and they are dispossessed 

The ball was not in control of either player. Vardy got there first and kicked the ball hard. The other player continued their run at Vardy without attempting to kick the ball - mostly because they were too late to the ball. It wasn't a red.

Im a bit astonished anyone sees it differently. He won the ball with a single foot with his standing leg on the ground and without raised studs. It was not a tackle. The ball broke free and 2 players went for it. Vardy was more committed in winning the ball and the result was he got there 1st. In my opinion, the lack of conviction from the Wolves lad meant he got there 2nd and fouled Vardy. However Vard's determination to win ball meant his efforts were more aggressive and Dean viewed that as 'an out of control challenge' . It was not out of control as his standing leg was planted and he won the ball. We should appeal.

Edited by Bagworthblue
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

CBs can be uncomfortable going wide fair, but it's not as if they were 2 v 1 on him, it was 1 v 1 and every time it was a simple knock past and run round, he looked abysmal. Morgan was far better last week than Evans was today, and he was slaughtered on here. If Benalouane had been playing and put in the performance Evans did this thread would have 100 posts asking why that clown is even still at the club.

You literally can't say for certain that Morgan would have done better today in those same situations. It's all down to personal perception. Personally I would imagine Wes would have also got turned and probably ended up doing something rash and giving away a penalty. You probably have a different view. Its all if's whats and maybes

3 minutes ago, TazzerFox said:

Ricardo has 2 assists from 2 games and looks to pose a similar threat to Chilwell, adding another dimension to our attack (can really see Puels post mahrez plan, he's looking to replace those 20 goals/assists throughout the team - expecting the full backs to hit 5 or so each and Maddison around 10). Evans meanwhile looked a massive vulnerability. Hardly surprising people like one and didn't rate the other when one did his job well and the other gave them a number of chances, right from the off