Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Wolves H Post Match Thread 2-0

The Wolves defender needs to take some responsibility for the challenge. He was clearly late and was never gonna win the ball and therefore was endangering himself (and Vardy) by not pulling out of a challenge he should've known he was never winning. Just because he's the one rolling around on the floor at the end of it doesn't make him the victim.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

The mentality of some people on here is extraordinary. Apparently, Vardy is out of step with the team, Evans is a liability, Maddison loses the ball too often, Puel is clueless and so on.

We won 2-0 with 10 men. 

Was lucky to not be 3-0 down after 20 mins

lets hope we didn't use all our luck up in one game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

We rode our look defensively and we couldn't have bemoaned a Wolves goal had one gone in i'm sure thier zG stats or whatever they are called show a different light on the game for those who were using that a positive for us last week.

You happen to be correct. 

CityWolvesxG.JPG.ae875f973994a502e49ed89866ef3d2b.JPG
Shot-based expected goals (xG) is an estimate of how many goals a team could have scored given the location of its shots and the players who took them.

Non-shot expected goals is an estimate of how many goals a team could have scored given their nonshooting actions in and around their opponent’s penalty area.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

We won 2-0 with 10 men. 

Comfortably. Due to Wolves poor finishing as much as our defending.

It was indeed the follow through that did for Vardy. He looked hell bent on taking the player (knees and all) after taking the ball. Clear red for me.

Kasper did really well I thought, consistently came out and caught the ball, numerous saves, calling the shots at corners and was popping into the defenders for occasional words after shaky bits of play.

I don't know what West Brom did to Jonny Evans but he looked in need of a brain transplant during the first 20mins, seems it was mainly confidence and he grew into the game and ended it quite well in the back 3.

Really pleased to see a style of play becoming more and more apparent, it shows the players believe in what the gaffer is doing. The dynamic of Chilwell, Maddison and Gray also brought occasional sparks of life again, although Maddison faded again in the second half and was quite lucky with his goal he was superb in the first half, really excited to see more as he gains fitness. Chilwell was also excellent, final product lacking but physically he doesn't look out of place anymore, he keeps rampaging down the left side all game which shows a great engine and is really looking like he'll assert himself this season. N'didi clean and reliable as always but the man Mendy really shone through, he seems to be abit of a leader and has resolute personality as well as showcasing his ability to dictate the tempo, play safe balls around backwards, forwards and side to side; he really helped it all tick over. Ricardo is the best addition of the summer so far though, bundles of energy changing down the wing late in the game, always dangerous aswell as being a capable defender.

It was a red for Vardy, really put too much welly into it and wasn't fully under control. Don't think he played particularly well either but with Maddison linking up well at times he's sure to bang a few in this season. Gives Scrachy Nacho another go too which is good for competition.

22 minutes ago, StanSP said:

got annoyed by some fans near me. The woman next to me kept thinking Maddison was Jonny Evans lol. When Maddison misplaced a pass she exclaimed, 'oh come on Jonny Evans!'. I can understand if they looked similar or played in same positions but they don't on either part!

And too many people around me got far too frustrated that we kept possession or didn't move the ball forward quickly enough. Still going with the 'too negative' comments yet 10-15 seconds later there's a forward pass and a chance or opening created for the forwards. 

And more comments like 'the old Leicester didn't play like this!' or 'we attacked more a few years ago!' Yes, we did. But that was a different manager with different players. We don't play like that and haven't for a while - that style of play isn't sustainable and we're a much patient side now. The sooner most fans accept it the more they'll hopefully be able to understand and maybe enjoy the game instead of moaning. 

After 15 minutes, there was a guy behind me who said 'Jonny Evans was a decent defender, he's not any more. I don't know why we signed him'. Yeah he was a bit slow and got done a couple of times but to write him off so soon is just pathetic.

Someone a few rows back from me was booing because Albrighton was being subbed for Amartey!! Plenty of murmurings of discontent at times as well!! People forget that we had new partnerships on the pitch today. Evans and Maguire never played together, Wilf and Mendy never played together, Ricardo and Albrighton never played together, Maddison and Vardy never played together. People need to be patient and understand we are gelling a team together!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Mendy could have solved the 'who plays alongside Ndidi' problem at a stroke. Real zip and purpose to his play today. Tackling was excellent. And his passing was good too.

I can see now why Porto fans were lamenting Ricardo's departure. He looks a top-class buy. Fast, skilful and - well, just quality.

Maddison is class too. We didn't get him in the game enough today but he looks a proper number ten.

Evans recovered from a terrible start, in which we were incredibly lucky not to concede.

As for Vardy's red card, we've become conditioned in recent years to view challenges like that as 'reckless' and therefore worthy of a sending off, so he should know better, but the fact remains that he clearly won the ball, so it wasn't a foul.

The first and last 25 minutes were a difficult watch for different reasons but a win's a win. And although we undoubtedly rode our luck today against a good Wolves side, that's all that matters.

Onwards and upwards...

:appl:

Top quality post. Agree with you on everything. Are you me?! :D

Apart from the first 20 mins I thought we were good and basically controlled the game. I was expecting more from them considering all the hype but they are not clinical enough and that has nothing to do with "luck". Perrira was great, as was Maddison and Mendy! Thought Mendy was MOTM. Evans started shaky but grew into the game.

Mike Dean is still a ****.

Lets not understate this win, when the fixtures came out it was one of the most difficult in the league, aside from arsenals opening games, united first who we never do too well at old trafford, put in a solid performance that deserved more, then have to play a promoted team who walked the championship, have some quality players and who most pundits have down to finish above us in the league, getting thenfirst points on the board is always a relief and to do so against a team who are expected by most to maybe challenge for top 8 is bigger then maybe we think, after the first 2 games, not getting too carried away but theres signs there that we could be in for a very good season, after the last 2 summers of ssome questionable transfers, its nice to see the new players that have played put in solid performances, i thinj we are starting to see claudes plan 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, TazzerFox said:

Not getting this Evans hate at all.. You would think he made numerous mistakes which resulted in them scoring a hatfull. He had a shaky 20 minutes mainly because he was getting dragged out wide due to Ricardo being out of position and allowing balls over the top in to that left wing channel. After that he was as solid as you like and helped in defending set pieces. We also finished with a clean sheet, something which we miss out on all too regularly.

Ricardo for me seems much more comfortable as a Winger or Wing back and definitely has moments of brilliance. Mendy was fantastic and him and Ndidi could be a very solid midfield pairing, my only concern is a potential lack of creativity. 

Vardy challenge was a definite red after seeing the replays, excessive force and could have broke the lads leg. Thought Iheanacho looked decent when he came on and he might benefit from a run of games now.

First balanced post ive seen on ricardo. Good post.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Arguments like this are pointless purely because we weren’t 3-0 down

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

We should have equalised at Old Trafford but didn't. 

Ifs and buts. 

Edited by Fox92

I thought Evans was horrific in the first half but it did seem he had a real issue with Ricardo's positioning and it's further substance for us to go 3-4-1-2. Ricardo and Chilwell are much better being allowed to be higher up the pitch and the fact we've got Soyuncu and Benkovic waiting in the wings it makes sense. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Never a red.

Very impressed with Ricardo and Mendy. Had a weird one at ht, went down for a beer and the bar near sk3 has 3 people serving so 3 queues, however everyone was queuing in the left and right but not the middle one. So I just walk straight down the middle avoiding all the queues and get served without waiting at all. Then got verbally abused by a lady who was queuing in the right lane that I pushed in. As far as I'm concerned I just used intelligence and initiative though???

I hope you told her that it isn’t your fault she’s a halfwit. 

3 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

First balanced post ive seen on ricardo. Good post.

Let’s not forget this was only his second competitive game in this league - it too NG a few outings to pick up the pace !  Wolves clearly identified his area as being susceptible with their wing backs and we struggled. I wonder if our change to three at the back was done with an eye to the future ?  Haven’t thought puel would go there but today’s events made me wonder a bit. 

I was really annoyed with Vardy to be honest. Whether it is a sending off or not, the point is he simply didn't need to do it. It was a 70-30 in his favour and all he needed to do was nip the ball away from the defender. A really silly decision from Vards, especially knowing that Mike Dean was ref. 

• Like 3

I’m always amused by logic that says; if only x happened they’d have been 3-0 up If only are two important words; if only Armartey hadn’t handballed last week or if only Vardy had scored his first chance in the same match. If only Wolves had actually scored 3 they’d have won etc. etc.

Wolves had a few chances in the first 20 mins and they missed them. That’s it.

2 hours ago, Bats8711 said:

Traore could play on any team in the league for me.  For those saying Wolves were poor and wouldn't have scored in 90 hours... they hit the post 3 times.  

VERY fortunate result.  I'll take it though.

Thought Ricardo, Mendy, Chilwell (including defensively) stood out.  

I don't see any issues with Dean today - thought we actually got the larger end of the stick overall.  Don't see how anybody can have an issue with Vardy red card.

you do realise that hitting the woodwork does not even register as a shot on target.  Traore is the same as he was at Middlesborough.  Ball greedy and no end product.  Mendy and Ricardo were outstanding Maddison was good in patches.

Personally don't get the Wolves hype.  Thought they were ok but nothing special.  Welcome to the premier league dominated possession came away with nothing. 

27 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

It was a red for Vardy, really put too much welly into it and wasn't fully under control. Don't think he played particularly well either but with Maddison linking up well at times he's sure to bang a few in this season. Gives Scrachy Nacho another go too which is good for competition.

True.  I thought that everybody understood the rules.  The amount of people that clearly don't is actually embarrassing.  It doesn't matter if he won the ball.