Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

UEFA Nations League

4 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Comeback from the Netherlands, decent striker's finish from Virgil.

Great comeback...Ps s off my German neighbours!!:celebrate:

Whoops I forgot, I am German!!! 

Crazy since I became German,they are suddenly struggling. Donner n Blitz My Blitzkrieg,has become a dainty snowflake!!

My 5th columnist tactics are working...:banana:

20 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

You would have got good odds on those 4 teams being the semi finalists but helpful for England maybe if we can perform well.

So they are all certain of a play-off spot were they not to win their European qualifying section and we will only have 5 teams in our group. 

Don’t the top two qualify from every group? 

Just checked, and yes they do. So even if we can’t come 2nd out of a group of 5 (won’t happen) we’ll still get a playoff place. 

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

5 groups of 5 teams , and 5 groups of 6 teams. Top 2 go through to finals

All nation league group winners guaranteed a play off place so the likes of Finland and Georgia in play offs. 

12 minutes ago, Bert said:

Just checked, and yes they do. So even if we can’t come 2nd out of a group of 5 (won’t happen) we’ll still get a playoff place. 

For any of the traditional big teams in Europe to mess it up just became even more unlikely. You'd really have to have an exceptionally poor campaign to not qualify.

Is the extra protection from failure it provides a good thing though? I'm not so sure. If a team can't finish in the top two, they really don't deserve to qualify.

It does smack of ensuring the largest supported teams qualify.

• Like 1

Just now, Max Wall said:

For any of the traditional big teams in Europe to mess it up just became even more unlikely. You'd really have to have an exceptionally poor campaign to not qualify.

Is the extra protection from failure it   good thing though? I'm not so sure. If a team can't finish in the top two, they really don't deserve to qualify.

It does smack of ensuring the largest supported teams qualify.

Yep, it’s basically so the biggest teams are there for their showpiece event whilst enabling them to say well it gives an opportunity for smaller nations to qualify for a major tournament. 

Albania might not be Brazil and they did implode in the last match but you have to hand it to Scotland, I didn't have any confidence in them being in a position to win the group tonight before the Albania game. Nine call offs from an already threadbare squad was also quite a setback. They got the job done though and have given themselves a chance to guarantee a play off for the finals if they win tonight. Despite their ranking, Israel could be a real handful for them but, you just get the sense that the momentum is with them after such a good away win.

On 18/11/2018 at 15:54, theadmans said:

Nice stat from Sky commentator as England turn it around to 2-1:-

Leicester players past and present have had a hand in all 3 goals:-

Krammy, Lingard, Kane with a Chilwell assist!

Wouldn't it have been correct to say all goals were scored by ex-City players...a far more interesting fact.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bert said:

So if we were to fail to qualify, our playoff would be someone from group a? Presuming they don’t qualify as well. Otherwise it’s the highest ranked team? 

Can't imagine so. Surely the play offs will be seeded to further protect the 'big' nations? I'm genuinely not sure how the play offs work either but Uefa wouldn't want England v Portugal and Kosovo v Belarus as two of the play offs I wouldn't think.

3 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Can't imagine so. Surely the play offs will be seeded to further protect the 'big' nations? I'm genuinely not sure how the play offs work either but Uefa wouldn't want England v Portugal and Kosovo v Belarus as two of the play offs I wouldn't think.

I was reading and it was saying someone from league d will qualify through the playoffs.