Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

UEFA Nations League

17 hours ago, Bert said:

Kasper can’t save them free kicks for us

His starting position always seems to be way far over for us. He was much more central for that one against Bale. Don't get me wrong, it was a brilliant stop, but half the work was how he set himself up in the first place. Much better.

Feeling strangely underwhelmed at the prospect of England v Croatia. I know there's an advantage to winning the group in  terms of qualification opportunities for the next tournament but I don't feel excited at the prospect of the game at all.

No idea why.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Are you the same then @Wymeswold fox? Any idea why?

Still feels like a friendly, even with the new format.

Can we still qualify, even without succeeding in this tournament (such as the Euro qualifiers next year)?

Edited by Wymeswold fox

10 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Can we still qualify, even without succeeding in this tournament?

I totally agree with your first point. Even though the facts are that it isn't.

I'm really not sure on the qualifying. My understanding is, if you win the group and the two knockout games that follow, you have qualified for the finals (that may be wrong though).

However, I also read on BBC this morning that Portugal had guaranteed themselves a one game play off for the next finals by winning their group even if they fail to qualify by the traditional qualifying groups. If that's correct, you'd have to assume all group winners would have a one game play off.

I'm not usually dense, I just think I'm completely ambivalent towards the competition so my brain just doesn't retain anything I read about it for long.

Edited by Max Wall

From the BBC website today,

As well as a last-four spot in this inaugural Nations League, reigning European champions Portugal also have the safety net of a play-off game to reach the Euro 2020 finals, should they fail to do so via the traditional qualifying means.

Portugal will play their last-four tie (and possibly the final) on home soil after Uefa announced that the conclusion of the inaugural Nations League would be played in the country, at venues in Porto and Guimaraes in early June 2019.

Portugal beat Group A3 rivals Italy and Poland to claim hosting duties, which is expected to be confirmed by Uefa's Executive Committee at their meeting in Dublin on Monday 3 December - the same day that the draw for the finals takes place.

Edited by Max Wall

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Can we still qualify, even without succeeding in this tournament (such as the Euro qualifiers next year)?

Tbf, the nations league is pointless for England. 

For smaller countries like us, Ireland, Scotland, Gibraltar, etc, its another opportunity to qualify when we might not make it through the normal qualifiers. 

Because England will qualify regardless, you don't need this tbh. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Enjoying it though ....   :)

Yeah it'll throw together more competitive games than normal friendlies or qualifying. I'm not for one moment suggesting England fans shouldn't care.

It's just there's less riding on it for you.

It's a real shame we fluffed our lines against Denmark really because the NL is a good opportunity for teams at our level to have two good cracks at getting in the Euros.

Switzerland beat Belgium 5-2 in Lucerne today. What a game, coming back from 2-0 down to win it and reaching the semi-final. :appl:

Top class performance, what a demonstration of will power. Didn't expect that after losing in a friendly against Qatar just a few days earlier.

Must have been great fun to watch Alex, fair play. 

Belgium surely can't go on much longer wasting their golden generation on such shit coaches though. 

I think that phrase is hugely over used but it's got to apply to them more than anyone else. Surely they'll never have a better side. 

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Must have been great fun to watch Alex, fair play. 

Belgium surely can't go on much longer wasting their golden generation on such shit coaches though. 

I think that phrase is hugely over used but it's got to apply to them more than anyone else. Surely they'll never have a better side. 

Belgium's side is massively over rated.

A lot of very good players in their team but their midfield is weak and they're easily exploitable if you have any sort of quality out wide.

Saying that they're a different beast when they've got De Bruyne and when Lukaku is in a bit of form.