Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SkidsFox

Which is the best Star Trek series?

The original because the others wouldn't exist without it.

The next generation - Picard is incredible and Data was original, worf and Q

Voyager - depsite Janeway's voice the stories were pretty good - and 7 of 9 and the Borg were excellent.

DSN - More a spin off than a Star trek tbh.

Enterprise - didn't see many but enjoyed the few I saw.

The new one - so much potential but such a let down for me that I didn't even bother to watch the last few episodes of the first season.

43 minutes ago, FIF said:

Voyager - depsite Janeway's voice the stories were pretty good - and 7 of 9 and the Borg were excellent.

The new one - so much potential but such a let down for me that I didn't even bother to watch the last few episodes of the first season.

Agree almost entirely prof ...   didn’t like Q though ...   thought that was a bit daft ..   but as for 7 of 9 ..   well ...   dribble dribble dribble !!! ..   :)    The borg was a master stroke but the original series, despite its cheapo sets, was brilliant...    every character was iconic ...    still watch the odd repeat for old times sake.   

I’ve liked all of them. 2nd gen has to be the best though and i occasionally catch the odd re-run episode on the syfy channel. 

The latest one I found got better and better so perhaps worth giving it another try. I’m looking forward to s2. 

On a syfy note though you couldn’t beat stargate sg1. Jack o’neil  Just had something about him and made the show. 

The original series is a classic and for good reason, the best movies were with the original crew too.

Next Gen had some early clunkers but when it was good it was damned good, First Contact was a damned fine movie too.

DS9 next for me, it was still second to its rival Babylon 5 but when it got going it was quality, the tailor was one of my fave characters, Garak I think he was called.

Voyager was decent, the two best characters for me was Seven and the Doc :)

Enterprise started far to slowly and by the time it was good, it was dropped, shame really.

Still have yet to see the latest one.

4 hours ago, Fridgechef said:

Just started watching the new netflix one and am really enjoying it, any reccomendations of where to go after that? Thanks!

Series 2 starts in January.  

If the trailer is anything to go by, I expect it to continue to be unmissable TV.  

Discovery is a very good series, all previous series have taken their time to get going in the first instance, but Discovery was non stop action all the way.  It had its critics.  That initial first reveal trailer made BBCs CGI look good, and I was concerned, but all improved when we got the Europa ramming a cloaked Klingon ship, lens flares and a decent enough crew headed up by the mysterious Lorca.  Frakes' episode that he directed was superb and there were few duff episodes.  If I was to be overly critical, the whole story arc petered out by the end but the rendezvous in the final moments more than made up for it.

Further down the line Stewart has lined himself up to do something Picard related.  Should be decent.

On 23/09/2018 at 23:50, Carl the Llama said:

DS9 had a lot of fun episodes but I think Next Gen was more consistently decent, plus DS9 had all that space ghost gubbins in the final season so it gets docked a lot of points for forgetting it's a sci-fi and not LOTR in space.

18 hours ago, FIF said:

DS9 is far and away the best.

Sure, TNG introduced some iconic figures  (Picard, Worf, Data) but that's also true of DS9 (Quark and Garat immediately spring to mind) and developed Worf's character far beyond what it was in TNG. It is also developed the alien races into something tangible (unlike TNG where they were just bit-part casual encounters) - Cardassians, Klingons, Ferengi and Romulans became real, with storylines and sub-plots of their own, and the introduction of the Dominion and the Jem'Hadar rivals that of the Borg in TNG.

But what really sets it apart is that instead of being a collection of stand-alone episodes with no real continuity, it's a progressive storyline that spans six series and is more like a soap opera with believable, in-depth characters developing along with the storyline.

I love TNG but DS9 is where Star Trek peaked.

2 hours ago, Buce said:

DS9 is far and away the best.

Sure, TNG introduced some iconic figures  (Picard, Worf, Data) but that's also true of DS9 (Quark and Garat immediately spring to mind) and developed Worf's character far beyond what it was in TNG. It is also developed the alien races into something tangible (unlike TNG where they were just bit-part casual encounters) - Cardassians, Klingons, Ferengi and Romulans became real, with storylines and sub-plots of their own, and the introduction of the Dominion and the Jem'Hadar rivals that of the Borg in TNG.

But what really sets it apart is that instead of being a collection of stand-alone episodes with no real continuity, it's a progressive storyline that spans six series and is more like a soap opera with believable, in-depth characters developing along with the storyline.

I love TNG but DS9 is where Star Trek peaked.

As I recall it, DS9 was no more episodic than TNG for the most part, both followed the formula of standalone stories with the occasional scene sprinkled in to build an overall plot culminating in a double-episode season finale.  It was only really in the last couple of series that DS9 took on a more soap opera style.  Iirc. 

On 23/09/2018 at 22:05, Finnegan said:

I'm sorry Matt but both islamophobia and anti-semitism are both genuine problems and ALSO both used to stifle criticism. 

You don't have to be El Empty and/or a Bilderberg nut to see that accusations of anti-semitism are frequently thrown at anyone with a criticism of Israel, however legitimate. I read a pretty good piece in which Jon Ronson, who is actually Jewish, talks about being branded an anti semite by the ADL lol

All of the Abrahamic religions and nearly all theocratic states (including Israel) are generally worthy of some legitimate criticism and its important we are able to separate that from real hatred. But it's also ridiculous to suggest that real hatred of either Islam (which islamophobia is) or Judaism doesn't exist and shouldn't be challenged. 

And if the Labour Party didn't have a leader who was publicly pro Palestine, there'd never be such manic outcry over anti semitism in the party. If there are anti semites there they've probably been there for decades with nobody giving a ****. 

They should be weeded out, absolutely, as any politician with bigoted prejudice should, but let's not pretend that there isn't also quite definitely an ADL style witch hunt against what is perceived to be an anti-Israel stance from some party members regardless of whether or not those party members are anti semitic or simply have genuine issue with the Israeli state. 

I agree with what you are saying but Israel is not a Theocratic State.

Edit: I have no idea how this ended up in this thread; perhaps a mod could move it to where it belongs?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/theocracy

Edited by Buce

22 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

As I recall it, DS9 was no more episodic than TNG for the most part, both followed the formula of standalone stories with the occasional scene sprinkled in to build an overall plot culminating in a double-episode season finale.  It was only really in the last couple of series that DS9 took on a more soap opera style.  Iirc. 

With respect, you are not remembering correctly.