Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Places in the UK you'd erase off the map

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

It reminds me of one of those Hogarth paintings from A Rakes Progress - or "Beer Street and Gin Lane" 1751. 

020418-59-Specators-Moral-Weeklies-Early-Modern-History-Literature-Journalism.thumb.jpg.98e09c8ad2db29c71dfb818fc17c5d03.jpg

This is exactly how my Dad described how Leicester was when he was growing up in the 1920s. 

4 hours ago, Fathead1981 said:

may I ask why my parents live a few miles away from there, ok its not great but its far from horrible, trust me I live near Slough!

Nothing wrong with Slough.Worked there loads of times and have to say it’s the friendliest,most down to earth place in SE England imo.Plus very well placed geographically.The town centre mind well?

On 11/11/2018 at 15:32, Costock_Fox said:

Corby isn’t too bad now, Wellingborough is worse. Absolute hole.

Wellingborough used to be nice. The town centres have changed so much over the decades and Wellingborough is a prime example of one that hasn’t faired well.

But used to visit it just over 30 years ago, independent stores, decent looking town, just a nice feel to it. 

I drove through it two weeks ago, you could see how it would have been just looking at the buildings, but sadly it has lost its soul like many have. 

How are they all going to adapt as towns and Cities reduce their shopping areas dramatically over the next 20 years?

Many retailers hanging on by the skin of their teeth, much more upheaval to come as the 50/60/70 year olds die out leaving the internet generations to shop on line. 

We have virtually lost Granby Street and Belvior Street plus others as shopping areas and others will follow on.

I think you will see some massive winners and losers as towns develop more into leisure use, and some that are horrendous now will do well, and others that are are doing well now won’t be as good. All down to developers, councils and a bit of luck.

Not sure how the smaller towns will do out if this. I think the focus from developers will be the bigger Cities, and I reckon the smaller towns might fall dramatically as the focus is elsewhere. Think the smaller towns will suffer the most as people naturally visit the larger Cities where the big changes have taken place.

Our Cities and towns are currently going through a similar situation to the seaside towns and villages that happened in the 60’s and 70’s. Visitors ventured abroad leaving empty spaces, poverty and only a percentage have managed to adjust in a positive way. Our Cities will adjust with investment, but if there are large Cities near smaller towns, those towns are the ones that could struggle to adapt.

The internet is great, but I love visiting towns and Cities, seeing what they have to offer and it’s a great shame they are having to change in such a massive way. 

• Like 1

Most of the people that say they "hate" London have either done away days in Croydon and East Ham and decided that all of London must be a shit hole or they've taken the missus to the West End and didn't like the crowds / cost. 

Saying you "hate" London as a whole is a bit like saying you hate the UK as a whole, it's ridiculously diverse and varied. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

the rest of the uk (aka the good bits) would be better off without london, that’s all. we might even get some of our money being spent as far north as leeds, manchester or liverpool, crazy i know 

If you erased London from the map, everyone would just move to <insert other big city here> and everything that currently applies to London, good or bad, in time would come to apply to that. 

It's just a capital city. Its pretty much the same story everywhere. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

the rest of the uk (aka the good bits) would be better off without london, that’s all. we might even get some of our money being spent as far north as leeds, manchester or liverpool, crazy i know 

Because no urban regeneration ever took place in Liverpool or Manchester or anywhere north of Watford gap.

Ha! - You really think "our money" is ploughed into the gentrification of London? 

billionaire-russian.jpg.18a972bdd3cd42feb96ecf87b8c7812f.jpg

Ok

And there are no deprived or neglected areas of our capital whatsoever.