Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wright.dan

Adrien silva

6 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Neither are fit for purpose, I hope we get rid of both in January and either sign a proven young top player or bring back Barnes.

We have too much dead wood in the squad holding back our progress. 

Yes we have. Silva has been a huge disappointment cos I thought he was going to be class. He’s been here long enough now to be considered pretty much a flop.

I think flop is an understatement. He's the worst pound-for-pound signing ever made by the club. 

That includes measuring him against Akinbiyi (who, despite a dead leg touch, at least had the physical strength and pace of an elite athlete). And Junior Lewis. And Matt Jones. And Beckford/Matt Mills. I could go on.

I still find it staggering that any scout rated this guy. As a scouting sample, I recall his disastrous three minute cameo in the world cup when he got booked and very nearly cost Portugal the match with his customary, unenforced giving the ball away in midfield

10 hours ago, Haywood_6 said:

Good summary, it's probably too late for them both now. 

I don't think they are bad players, just too casual in their styles of play for us. It's a quick and physically demanding competition.

I expect the club will try to offload them and give Choudhury more first team chances next season. He's similar to Ndidi and Mendy, prepared to battle hard for the team. 

There’s nowhere near enough creativity in the middle with just those two or three ‘battlers’ in midfield. We need a creative force in there too. Sadly it appears Silva nor Iborra are able to quite fulfil that role. It’s also apparent that Puel prefers players in his own mould in the middle -ie.  ‘water carriers’ as Cantona called them. Functional, industrious but lacking a creative edge. That’s not helped Iborra or Silva (or indeed Puel’s popularity with certain fans!)

• Thanks 1

I would honestly sell him which I think is a possibility in January. He doesn’t offer anything outstanding compared to our other midfielders so he won’t get a game.

Really disappointing because I thought he would be our David Silva style player but obviously not as good however in reality he doesn’t score or get assists.

24 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I think flop is an understatement. He's the worst pound-for-pound signing ever made by the club. 

That includes measuring him against Akinbiyi (who, despite a dead leg touch, at least had the physical strength and pace of an elite athlete). And Junior Lewis. And Matt Jones. And Beckford/Matt Mills. I could go on.

I still find it staggering that any scout rated this guy. As a scouting sample, I recall his disastrous three minute cameo in the world cup when he got booked and very nearly cost Portugal the match with his customary, unenforced giving the ball away in midfield

Remember being absolutely shocked when he first made an appearance for us.. Looked like a little boy playing with the big boys.. You could tell straight away that he was never going to cope with the pace and physicality of the PL. 

All I can think of is that he wore stilts and body padding when our scouts were watching him before he signed.. 

Sporting well and truly had our pants down! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Remember being absolutely shocked when he first made an appearance for us.

Iborra hardly set the world alight either. In fact, many wondered whether we'd signed the car park attendant as he was so off the pace and running around lost.

I like Silva, he looks to try and be creative, but I don't where he fits for us. He may be a little so slow on the ball but then, to be fair to him, he's not really had enough of a run to fine tune his game with/for us. 

1 minute ago, FoxNotFox said:

Iborra hardly set the world alight either. In fact, many wondered whether we'd signed the car park attendant as he was so off the pace and running around lost.

I like Silva, he looks to try and be creative, but I don't where he fits for us. He may be a little so slow on the ball but then, to be fair to him, he's not really had enough of a run to fine tune his game with/for us. 

At least Iborra has scored a few goals, is a threat in the air and is useful at defending corners etc.. 

Not forgetting what he's contributed to the life of Suzie the Fox! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

There’s nowhere near enough creativity in the middle with just those two or three ‘battlers’ in midfield. We need a creative force in there too. Sadly it appears Silva nor Iborra are able to quite fulfil that role. It’s also apparent that Puel prefers players in his own mould in the middle -ie.  ‘water carriers’ as Cantona called them. Functional, industrious but lacking a creative edge. That’s not helped Iborra or Silva (or indeed Puel’s popularity with certain fans!)

It's these 2 that allow Chilwell and Ricardo to overlap and attack. 

Them being industrious work horses allows us to overload in other areas with the numbers to cover.

But I see your points, and it would be great if Iborra could teach the two how to pass

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, weller54 said:

At least Iborra has scored a few goals, is a threat in the air and is useful at defending corners etc.. 

All very true. I don't disagree.

My post was perhaps poorly worded as it wasn't my intention to imply that Silva is better than Iborra. Or vice versa even. Personally, I prefer Iborra but that's neither here nor there. Just commenting that both started their time with us in hardly inspiring fashion. I reckon Silva is a positive player. He reads the play well and looks to be creative but I admit to being a tad underwhelmed on occasions. I don't think we're seeming him at his best for whatever reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, funkyrobot said:

I may be wrong but the type of system Puel is trying to play relies more on the two full backs to assist in the creativity. It is not unusual for managers to employ two more defensive minded midfielders in this system to supposedly provide cover for the fullbacks. The creativity, if Vardy is a lone striker is also supposed to come from Maddison , Gray and whoever else he choses with them. Chilwell is fulfilling his part of the deal with Pereira gradually improving. A work in progress.

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

You could tell straight away that...

There's only one problem with this kind of after-the-fact brilliance - allow me to give a few examples (and not aimed at you @weller54)

I could tell straight away that Vardy would never make it.

I could tell straight away that Ranieri would be a waste of space.

I could tell straight away that Chilwell had no talent and just runs a lot.

Not direct quotes of course, but perhaps you see my point? These are the sort of knee-jerk responses people made contemporaneously. And people are not quick to admit how wrong they are/were, which is nearly all of the time. It's like the tabloids, who love boasting when one of their scoops actually comes off, and are nowhere to be seen when their s**t-spreading and rumour creation turns out to be utterly false, and ruins yet another life.

Forgive me if I don't celebrate Silva failing with us, as he appears to have done - but enjoy feasting on it if you must.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, stillwater said:

Do you think we will see Silva play a part tues night?

Will say a lot about his future at the club.

I think it likely he will quietly go back to Portugal on loan in January and then full time in the summer. We won't get much if anything back for him though but a wage off the bill.

His move here just hasn't worked and wasn't helped by our incompetence with the paperwork.

23 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

I agree it has been a disappointment, but I feel though it has been more due to Puel’s stubborn preference for Ndidi, unjustifiably in my opinion. I think it would be a loss if Iborra leaves us in Jan.

Also, yesterday’s game showed us that our strength is really in direct football. I like us playing a bit more on the ground too, and a bit more like Man City-que, but we are not Man City and we can only be 7th to 8th at best playing using the current style. We need to play to Vardy’s strength while he is still at his peak.

Well, we saw Iborra yesterday in place of Wilf and he was bollocks while he lasted. 

Perhaps watching players daily in training is a better barometer for making choices than plopping in front of a laptop.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

There's only one problem with this kind of after-the-fact brilliance - allow me to give a few examples (and not aimed at you @weller54)

I could tell straight away that Vardy would never make it.

I could tell straight away that Ranieri would be a waste of space.

I could tell straight away that Chilwell had no talent and just runs a lot.

Not direct quotes of course, but perhaps you see my point? These are the sort of knee-jerk responses people made contemporaneously. And people are not quick to admit how wrong they are/were, which is nearly all of the time. It's like the tabloids, who love boasting when one of their scoops actually comes off, and are nowhere to be seen when their s**t-spreading and rumour creation turns out to be utterly false, and ruins yet another life.

Forgive me if I don't celebrate Silva failing with us, as he appears to have done - but enjoy feasting on it if you must.

Don't think anyone is 'celebrating' Silva failing with us? 

Personally, I hope he proves his doubters wrong (which I'm one of),  and I'll be the first to say that I got my judgement wrong. 

Wonder if anyone thought that Kante was going to fail after his first few appearances for us?.. Wasn't he played out wide by Ranieri in his debut against Bury in the EFL Cup? 

1 hour ago, NaijaFox said:

Can’t afford to bed players in at the expense of the team and results.

Can you (literally) afford not to? You'd have one helluva turnover rate of signings otherwise. How many players hit the deck running? They all take time to settle in.

We're still a work in progress and trial and error in signings, formation and tactics are part of that process. I say that not in defence of any particular player as some signings don't work out.

It's not all about immediate results (but there is a balanced to be struck) think back only 3 or 4 seasons, Man City were prone to shiteness. It took even the great Pep several seasons of perseverance to get the right players to play his kind of football.

• Like 1