Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wright.dan

Adrien silva

8 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

think the summer (if it makes it that long) is the true test, it seems he's just keen on getting rid rather than buying

I think you're right but this is a business and not a supporters fantasy football game. It's their money and sound business sense would dictate that you can't just keep shelling out and collecting potential shiny things without recouping at least some money back on your duds. It would be financial stupidity to try and buy in a poor, price inflated January market under the circumstances, we're hardly relegation fodder. We really don't desperately need anyone for the rest of this season at the expense of potential financial instability, the business has to be robust. Mutimillionaires the family maybe, but they will have a sum in mind that they're prepared to throw at the club and have been more than generous thus far. They have money but it's not ours to spend. Do we need a midfielder and forward, yes we probably do. Will it wait until summer when certain contracts are up and we can possibly get rid of others in a better market, yes absolutely. A mid table or just above  finish is what we're likely to get which is fine this year. I'm sure our owners have a plan and they'll implement it in their own time. In the current climate it may just be the last thing on their minds, it's not that important. 

• Like 3

Looking at the team sheet before the game it looked like a very attacking formation, Nacho, Vardy, Diabate, Gray and Silva, what followed was an abject display of how not to attack, pointless backwards and sideways passing or running with your head down and not looking up to pass, it really was dull, dismal, disappointing football bar the last 5 minutes and the shoot out.

8 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Correct but his job is to identify a list of targets to give to the above who will do the job he wants doing.

We don't actually know that though do we, that's a large bit of presumption on your part. Some clubs buy the players themselves and just tell a coach to get on with it. Ranieri for example stated on two occasions that he was just a coach and didn't chose the players. I agree with you that a manager should have a big input but only the club know what their actual approach is, anything we say, unless you have definite priveliged information is just pure supposition. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

We don't actually know that though do we, that's a large bit of presumption on your part. Some clubs buy the players themselves and just tell a coach to get on with it. Ranieri for example stated on two occasions that he was just a coach and didn't chose the players. I agree with you that a manager should have a big input but only the club know what their actual approach is, anything we say, unless you have definite priveliged information is just pure supposition. 

There's period when Steve walsh left the club and we are without recruitment team for a while, yet we still sign some player. 

Then who did choose them? 

Just now, Hanan96 said:

There's period when Steve walsh left the club and we are without recruitment team for a while, yet we still sign some player. 

Then who did choose them? 

They supposedly bought on his previously recorded research remembering some targets would have been looked at for months and some initial approaches possibly made. There was also rumours of a clause for a short period whereby Everton couldn't target certain individuals,  though I'm a bit sceptical about the latter.

13 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

It’s widely known that we work like that or do you think it’s a massive coincidence that we signed Diabate (playing with Puel’s son) and Ghezzal (played under Puel before)? 

He wasn't crap, no, he didn't do enough to be crap. For a player of his talent and skill, indeed one who ought be raring to show his worth given the chance, he was surprisingly noncommittal. There was no desire, and he didn't seem to care.

When he was subbed off (and it seemed inevitable) I thought that was the last we'd see of him - he seemed unconcerned, reconciled to it. He played like someone who'd rather be elsewhere.

Edited by FoxNotFox

8 hours ago, jmono84 said:

Silva was our best guy in central midfield and defo has that bit of quality, we didn’t have much anyway but at least he picked out a few passes. As soon as he went off we had absolutely nothing, don’t understand why he was subbed!

I have to agree with this. As soon as the double substitution was made we looked clueless in creative play

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Whilst everyone is quite rightly upset at our wasted spending, the players we sign themselves also have to take their share of criticism too. When the club signed players like Musa, Hernandez and Kapustka who didn’t work out that was more of a cock up IMO because they were unproven players from weak leagues. 

In the case of Silva, Slimani and Iborra to some extent, these are players with pedigree and experience. You’d expect the captain of Sporting to be way better than what he’s shown. I appreciate his signing was completely bodged but he’s had more than enough time to show us something. Ndidi who had just two seasons in Belgium showed more from the off despite having little experience. 

I think it’s why we moved away from signing experienced pros from other countries. The transfer strategy just hasn’t worked out. 

This is exactly why the club should be very sceptical about signing older “experienced” players and giving them a huge pay rise. In many cases (most in our recent experiences?) they just seem to be looking for a final inflated contract to see them out, and aren’t particularly bothered about delivering their end of the deal. After all, they can’t be sacked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s widely known that we work like that or do you think it’s a massive coincidence that we signed Diabate (playing with Puel’s son) and Ghezzal (played under Puel before)? 

I think those are two excellent examples in fairness but not necessarily representative of how things used to work. I'm a great believe that if I was a manager and my future career depended on players, I'd want to sink or swim by my own choice of players not some committee's . I think when we had Walsh, Shakespeare and Pearson, the impression was that whilst Walsh was the main influence,  they all had a collaborative say which seems healthy. It seemed to change a bit when NP and Shakespeare went. Who knows eh.

11 hours ago, F1_AN said:

You surely don’t mean King?  

Bad wording on my part. More “passes forward” than “can pick a pass” lol but still emphasises the bad place we are in that he’s the only one who’d consider a forward move.

2 hours ago, AjcW said:

Bad wording on my part. More “passes forward” than “can pick a pass” lol but still emphasises the bad place we are in that he’s the only one who’d consider a forward move.

I’m afraid we cannot be friends if you think King is more likely to pass forward. He’s the absolute opposite of that, at least since we left league one. Please don’t contact me again ?

• Like 1

What's in it for Iborra , Slimani and Silva coming to little old Leicester City ?

Erm let me think …. I'm past my prime , approaching 30 and have a chance to play in the best league in the World.

Also some mug club is going to double my wages. 

I'm forever a fox … well at least until my contract runs out.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

What's in it for Iborra , Slimani and Silva coming to little old Leicester City ?

Erm let me think …. I'm past my prime , approaching 30 and have a chance to play in the best league in the World.

Also some mug club is going to double my wages. 

I'm forever a fox … well at least until my contract runs out.

Yes but the exact same sentiment can be leveled at Cambiasso and he did us pround. Indeed have several older hands who owed us nothing. 

It's not just about the money; it's about the professional pride. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Yes but the exact same sentiment can be leveled at Cambiasso and he did us pround. Indeed have several older hands who owed us nothing. 

He was a free transfer and on a 1 year contract. Totally different to paying 20m+ and committing to pay huge wages for 3 or 4 years

16 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Think we have to move players on, we can't just stock pile older pros 

Won't be easy though. Can't see a lot of PL clubs lining up for them and their wages are too high for the other leagues.

Huge squad filled with dross, I don't envy Puel or his eventual successor.

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I agree but having said that, Cambiasso was several classes higher than those other three. He could have stood still and still contributed more ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, That_Dude said:

Won't be easy though. Can't see a lot of PL clubs lining up for them and their wages are too high for the other leagues.

Huge squad filled with dross, I don't envy Puel or his eventual successor.

Not easy at all, luckily a few coming to end of their contracts, but a lot will be difficult to budge

6 hours ago, weller54 said:

Still difficult to believe that we had Cambiasso playing for us!... Would have loved to have seen him alongside Kante for a season. 

Cambiasso 's massive influence kept us in the PL and the following season Kante's won us the title... 

Just incredible,  world class talents. 

Yup simple game football....then coaches come along and ruin it!! lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...