Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
H.a.r.r.y

Support + atmosphere

3 minutes ago, JMenzfeld said:

Away atmosphere yesterday was the worst I've ever experienced. If you can't make noise for a Saturday 5:30, 2nd vs 3rd game then what's the point in actually going to game?

I’m surprised by that ...   I wasn’t there but could hear our lot singing on the tv quite clearly ... 

1 minute ago, JMenzfeld said:

Away atmosphere yesterday was the worst I've ever experienced. If you can't make noise for a Saturday 5:30, 2nd vs 3rd game then what's the point in actually going to game?

Sounded quiet on the tv from entire ground, and yeah we do need louder support when we aren't performing as well.

But, I'm getting a bit sick of it being made to seem that if you aren't singing your heart out you're a bad fan. Some probably quite like to just watch the game, which isn't wrong to do and shouldn't be vilified for it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Some (maybe most) aren't interested in making noise they're there to watch the match, nothing wrong with that.

If you're not interested in making a good atmosphere but want to watch a game then why not watch it on TV? There's no point in actually going if it's just the game you're interested in

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JMenzfeld said:

If you're not interested in making a good atmosphere but want to watch a game then why not watch it on TV? There's no point in actually going if it's just the game you're interested in

You've missed the point mate, some people like to go to games and watch their team live without singing or shouting. 

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

You've missed the point mate, some people like to go to games and watch their team live without singing or shouting. 

I just can't understand it personally. Obviously people can do what they want but I don't get why someone wouldn't want to get involved & chant. Whenever the atmosphere is good it's always a much more enjoyable day, no matter the result.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Winsum said:

So many fans moaning about the lack of atmosphere. The club has an aged fan base there is very little opportunity of younger fans getting tickets.The away tickets always sell out I do not go away but photographs I see are always of loads of kids or pensioners. Neither is conducive to a lively atmosphere. It ain’t going to change soon , get used to it and stop constantly moaning

The upper tier was full of young lads. 

49 minutes ago, JMenzfeld said:

Were you singing non stop yesterday? From 0-94th minute. Even when the game died at 3-1, you were singing your little heart out on your own, even if not one around you were doing anything? You were the one bastion of light, hoarse voice this morning an all.

Thought not.

Was quiet yesterday, fair few middle aged blokes doing the old "I'll see you outside" to home fans like right weirdos and a few lads behind me calling people "nonces" between half hearted attempts at chanting.

I absolutely know people hate it but our support flows with how the game is going. Yesterday, other than the goal, had a palpable inevitability and we weren't creating much. Look at Villa, a sensational atmosphere, a 4-1 masterpiece. Game drives the crowd, it's as simple as that.

1 hour ago, JMenzfeld said:

51 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Buts that’s not really supporting them is it ...  I don’t sing all the time but I shout and roar when needed to give the boys a lift and let them know we’re there.  

• Like 2

Just now, Countryfox said:

Buts that’s not really supporting them is it ...  I don’t sing all the time but I shout and roar when needed to give the boys a lift and let them know we’re there.  

Some of them may well shout and cheer when needed or when the crowd gets going. I just get tired of seeing page after page slate those that go who don't wish to be screaming all game 

• Like 1

Numerous occasions myself and others tried starting chants to have nothing returned with the rest of the end. 

Sadly I think football is packed up for that type of support. I see a demographic which ranges significantly in our ends but only a pocket with partizan support across ages and gender etc

Going off yesterday:-

We have the older crowd who are there for most away games but probably only did so from about 1995 onwards. Primarily they are there to watch the game. 

We have an older crowd who probably did go away games in 70s and 80s. They now have kids but appear more bothered in beer. The performance of chants we witnessed on the train back from such a gentlemen with his daughter was inaudible. 

Then a younger crowd who love giving it some in the concourses and pubs but then don’t open the mouths in the ground. 

I also think theres a few of our fans who hit 2016 and just resigned from really supporting us in a fervent fashion. 

Unfortunately (rightly or wrongly dependent on your view) the next generation are social media addicted and trained. So the idea of organic football supporting is going to be a void there. 

Culturally the sport alongside society has changed and it’s killing the English atmospheres of originality and spontaneity. I only have to look how Man City before kick off start to play the traditional Blue Moon over the tannoy only for it to give away into guitar thrash version. All it does is completely kill the actual thing it was supposed to do (Sheff U get it spot on with Greasy Chip Butty). 

I think it will actually hurt the Premier League in the long run. The ‘product’ thrives off trying to show this atmospheric occasion to ‘customers’, tourists and the millions abroad who make the real money for them. Once that begins to erode, it becomes more sterile and then the whole product doesn’t look as good. There was a reason PL insisted on away ends being at ground level and it’s to spark those celebrations which make good TV/media. For example having teams like Stoke host the top teams gave sub plots equally as important as the big six face offs. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

No one's saying you should be "screaming all game".   Just make a bit of noise, and get behind the team at appropriate points during the game.   Not difficult, really.

Exactly ...  and this as a minimum ...   I love hearing our lads singing their hearts out and am sure the players love it too.   What football is all about ...   seems to me so many things are getting sanitised and dumbed down. 

3 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

No one's saying you should be "screaming all game".   Just make a bit of noise, and get behind the team at appropriate points during the game.   Not difficult, really.

What has always amazed me is this ...

People seem to care about the club ... enough to give up their whole day, travel maybe 300 or 400 miles to follow the team, and fork out anwhere from £50 to £100 in the process.   Which presumably indicates a bit of passion towards the club.

But then don't seem to think that making a bit of noise or cheering the team on at appropriate points might help the team.

I can understand that all clubs have lots of "watchers" for the home games.   You've got your season ticket, and you just turn up at home games and have a little snooze every other week,

But away games ffs?   Weird.

Some fans go to games to sing and clap a little but mainly focus on watching and enjoying the game rather than singing and paying attention to what chant is going on.

Just because you don't understand people not joining in with chants and just wanting to watch the football, doesn't make it weird to do? Fans can want to experience an away ground without singing. If you don't agree, thats fine, but no need to shit on those who maybe don't enjoy it. 

For the record; I bloody enjoy helping getting an atmosphere and nose going, but it isn't farfetched to think that some don't want to.  I'm genuinely sick of seeing posts on here and twitter slating those who don't get involved in "limbs" or who sit at away games and those who don't actively join in with singing. 

2 hours ago, JMenzfeld said:

I just can't understand it personally. Obviously people can do what they want but I don't get why someone wouldn't want to get involved & chant. Whenever the atmosphere is good it's always a much more enjoyable day, no matter the result.

Well personally, I don’t really want to sing about Soyuncu’s cock, no matter how impressive it may be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

First leaving early, now if you don't sing you're a poor fan. I wonder what next weeks topic of moaning will be :blink:

Yep leaving early is a load of sh1te and really pisses me off and no one is saying you have to sing just give the lads some support . ...   not a lot to ask.

And you sound more like a moaner ...

Edited by Countryfox

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Just because you don't understand people not joining in with chants and just wanting to watch the football, doesn't make it weird to do? Fans can want to experience an away ground without singing. If you don't agree, thats fine, but no need to shit on those who maybe don't enjoy it. 

You're partially correct, on a very important matter.  But missing one important point.

One of the reasons why football is so popular, and has been for 150 years, is because of the passion of the crowd and the atmosphere it generates.  This tends to make for a great event, even if not everyone chooses to take an active part in it.

I suspect most people (even those who never sing, cheer, clap or make any noise) wouldn't want to sit in a ground in total silence.   The atmosphere that other people make, is part of the occasion.

If you doubt this, then just watch replays of games played behind closed doors - where there is absolutely no atmosphere.  (like our game v Burton Albion in 1985, or West Ham's Europpean Cup Winners Cup match v Castilla in 1980).   It's football, but not as we know it Jim.   It's just a weird dead event.

So here's the rub of it.   Even if you're not loud and shouty, I suspect you quite like the general atmosphere in the grounds you visit (although not necessarily all the individual songs, obviously.  The anti-maguire song is getting a bit tiresome).

So what's to be done?   Well, I think that we should all just contribute a little, to what we all collectively love.   If nobody sings or chants or shouts, the game that we know (and love) will die.

And don't just think "oh well, they'll always be someone else to make an atmosphere" ... because, as the topic of this thread shows, that's not true.   Apathy is infectious.

As per my original comment, I'm not asking everyone to scream their head off for 90 mins.   Just make a bit of effort, and try to vocally support the team - especially at away games.   As the away games are where the 90% majority of the home crowd will be judging us on whether we're good, or crap, supporters.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

You're partially correct, on a very important matter.  But missing one important point.

One of the reasons why football is so popular, and has been for 150 years, is because of the passion of the crowd and the atmosphere it generates.  This tends to make for a great event, even if not everyone chooses to take an active part in it.

I suspect most people (even those who never sing, cheer, clap or make any noise) wouldn't want to sit in a ground in total silence.   The atmosphere that other people make, is part of the occasion.

If you doubt this, then just watch replays of games played behind closed doors - where there is absolutely no atmosphere.  (like our game v Burton Albion in 1985, or West Ham's Europpean Cup Winners Cup match v Castilla in 1980).   It's football, but not as we know it Jim.   It's just a weird dead event.

So here's the rub of it.   Even if you're not loud and shouty, I suspect you quite like the general atmosphere in the grounds you visit (although not necessarily all the individual songs, obviously.  The anti-maguire song is getting a bit tiresome).

So what's to be done?   Well, I think that we should all just contribute a little, to what we all collectively love.   If nobody sings or chants or shouts, the game that we know (and love) will die.

And don't just think "oh well, they'll always be someone else to make an atmosphere" ... because, as the topic of this thread shows, that's not true.   Apathy is infectious.

As per my original comment, I'm not asking everyone to scream their head off for 90 mins.   Just make a bit of effort, and try to vocally support the team - especially at away games.   As the away games are where the 90% majority of the home crowd will be judging us on whether we're good, or crap, supporters.

Tbh I fully agree with you and your point. In an ideal world everyone sings for 90 and we produce a wall of sound. Sadly that isn't the case, but I just get tired of seeing sections of our fans shit on those who don't fit their ideal fan.

We do need to produce more noise as a fan base, hopefully that starts against Liverpool.