Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

A false position? There is no such thing is there really, we are where we are because we're better than the other bunch. You think you'd accept someone saying that if we'd missed loads of chances and were 16th?

Every other goal that's not a counter?

Firstly, keeping possession isn't just about scoring, It's also about reducing the time the opposition has the ball and thus presenting them with less chance to cause us problems. Secondly, considering we've scored as many counters this season, as we did in the title win, perhaps it's making us better at that as there are more players capable of making the quick pass when available. You see Simpson making the pass Ricardo did? or Okazaki the Maddison pass at Chelsea? Lastly, it's still a work in progress... literally everyone including the manager knows it needs work and probably more technically blessed players for it to ever work as he wants.

I'm not sure what "Puel Ball" is even meant to mean. I don't think he's trying to be a Man City making a 60 pass move from back to front and end up slotting it in, it's highly unlikely we'll ever get there with our budget. The crux of it is, players who are more technical and better on the ball, are far more likely to be able to pick the pass or create something against a packed tight defence.

We've lost the best person we had for that to Man City, making it twice as hard for us. And the attacking players he's been presented are mostly complete flops, we've had so many CM's and Strikers signed by others flop and so many loaded into the squad, that's he's not even been able to buy one he fancies or fits what he wants yet.

Of course there is such a thing as a false position, we were in a false position under Pearson when bottom of the league, and under Peter Taylor when top. 

Puel-ball is just shorthand for saying possession based passing football.

I know the point of keeping possession and dominating the game is to reduce opposition time on the ball, but it is counter effective when we lose possession in a dangerous area more often than actually have a decent spell of possession. If we can get the opposition chasing the ball it is effective but they know they don’t need to as sooner or later we’ll gift them the ball. There’s work in progress and there is making the same mistake over and over again.

I agree about us never being able to be Man City and have said the same thing. What I don’t know is what Puel is trying to achieve if it is not a Man City/Spurs style of football. Or I just don’t get it full stop. He overloads the flanks to put crosses in when we have zero aerial threat. He picks players that can’t pass and then wants us to pass it more. We need 6 or 7 more top class players to get 4231 working well at a cost of millions, or we look to get the best out of the talented players we have which means binning off 4231 possession based passing football. 433 with 3 CDM might not work against weaker teams but I’d rather see us try that than another 4231 making the same mistakes over and over again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Prior to these two wins vs Chelsea and Man City, our record under Puel vs the better sides was pretty grim. I think this new formation is spot on for tougher games though and it's one of the best things to come out of this season. If we can improve our home form vs mediocre teams then, we will cement 7th and theres really not much to be aggrieved about.

I've listed it all in my later post, it wasn't really that grim, we didn't get all the results the performances probably deserved either to be fair, but we beat Spurs and Arsenal last season and probably played better at Chelsea than we did the other day. We put in some pretty decent performances this season where our best play usually appeared, Liverpool at home, Arsenal first half away, united. It was exciting decent football. The trend is there going back years.

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

My only gripe regarding Silva is, 4-3-3 is the one system that should cover his weaknesses we've seen from him but allow him to do what he's good at which is move the ball forward quickly. But Puel has decided his time here is done and that's that, it's a shame as certain underperforming players get chance after chance.

I agree, it would actually suit him a bit more. But I'm sure there is something lined up for him to leave and we'll just bring in someone who Puel thinks will make his preferred formation of the two in the middle work better.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

So what do you want him to do? Abandon his philosophy because we have some bang average players, or would you rather who stuck with it and saw who can work in that system. Then set about replacing those who can't with ones who can.

Our players are not bang average, they are probably the opposite with very obvious strengths and weaknesses. 

If we we want to recruit players that can play in a Puel system we end up with Ghezzal he can pass, shoot, dribble, reasonable pace, decent work rate. He ticks all of Puel’s boxes but is the definition of bang average as he isn’t good enough in any one discipline to make a difference. This is what I fear we will end up like under Puel, Southampton a bunch of capable players playing technical football with no edge to make a difference when needed.

6 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Of course there is such a thing as a false position, we were in a false position under Pearson when bottom of the league, and under Peter Taylor when top.

It wasn't false, we deserved to be in both positions. We are also 21 games into the season, not really comparable to being top after about 7 games or so. When a good run of fixtures can chuck you up the league because you've played easier teams. Taylor also continued to **** with the O'Neill team and pissed players off, whilst Pearson bought players and changed formation to fix the issues we had.

People keep going on about using the players he has, and do what with them? What style of football is it that you're actually suggesting is going to work? Countering doesn't, we know that, we've tried it and it doesn't happen any more against defensive teams. Buying one massive striker and lumping it up top? I'm lost as to what is being suggested.

I don't think we need loads more players, I think the addition of three more players on top of what we've got could see a change in fortunes presuming they actually are Ricardo, Maddison level of players.

3 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Our players are not bang average, they are probably the opposite with very obvious strengths and weaknesses. 

If we we want to recruit players that can play in a Puel system we end up with Ghezzal he can pass, shoot, dribble, reasonable pace, decent work rate. He ticks all of Puel’s boxes but is the definition of bang average as he isn’t good enough in any one discipline to make a difference. This is what I fear we will end up like under Puel, Southampton a bunch of capable players playing technical football with no edge to make a difference when needed.

I'm sorry but we have a lot of average players in the areas we are struggling. Iheanacho, Okazaki, Slimani, Silva, Ghezzal, Gray, King, James, and to a lesser extent Mendy, N'didi and Iborra.

Ghezzal is clearly a panic buy, you don't wait all summer, chuck money at wingers left right and centre in the last two weeks and end up with a bloke who has literally done nothing, ever. He clearly wasn't our first choice, i'd be amazed if he was even on the list of replacements that we started the summer with.

Perhaps, if done properly we'll end up with another Ricardo and a Maddison. Replacing two great servants, but two players who couldn't pass to a blue shirt if only Leicester players were on the pitch, with players who have already in a short period offered far more creatively.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Thats what makes a player average with as many strengths as weaknesses. Why not bring up maddison or Ricardo they tick all his boxes and look good. He has brought more good players then bad and you still use the bad as the norm. I remember when mahrez looked like a bad buy in his first year and look at the player he is after getting use to English football

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

He still makes odd decisions, but I was really impressed how he set us up tactically for the last handful of games. I think he got it wrong at Cardiff with switching to a more attacking line-up, but I don't blame him for thinking that was the way to go. Dropping Choudary was his biggest mistake and hopefully he has learned from that. 

Hamza was unwell for the game, hence why he didn't feature in the squad at all, but was restored as a first team starter versus Everton.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Do people seriously think after Beating Chelsea and Man City, Puel turned around to the players and said "Great result lads, what I want to do now is pass the ball around slowly and try not to break down the opposition" or something?

This is where the "agenda" stuff comes from, people are looking for it to be the managers choice. Rather than looking at what's clearly gone on for like the last two years or so. Big team = space to move the ball into quickly and use the counter. Small team = not as much space to move into and less opportunity to counter.

We were dog muck 16/17... yet we pulled off the Man City 4-1, Liverpool 3-1, Sevilla 2-0. We were pretty cack last year and still managed exciting decent football at Arsenal 4-3 loss and at home 3-1 win. Chelsea away 0-0 unlucky not to win, Spurs away 5-4 loss, Spurs at home 2-1 win, Everton at home 2-1 win.  Even this year before the change to the 3 CDM's, we played some great stuff first half at Arsenal, I thought we showed up well against Liverpool and again at United.

The most obvious answer isn't that the manager isn't utterly mental, but that we're just following the trend we've been on for some time. Puel has embraced the counter in the games it's going to stand a chance of working, but is trying to get a style that works against those who won't give us the space. No it's clunky and not exactly working perfectly at the minute. But it's working a damn site better than the 30% possession and trying to counter Huddersfield etc did most of the time. Hence us being 7th.

He's literally said the same himself.

:appl:Terrific post.

The bit in bold is what grinds my gears as well. I've seen him in countless games literally stand there shouting at the players telling them to move it faster! 

What is challenging for a number of our players is that their technique and first touch isn't the greatest so they need to take two or even three touches before they can send the ball on. Look at Vardy's goal against Everton, Ricardo played a deft touch first time which put Vardy in straight away. Some of our players (Ndidi comes to mind immeadiately) aren't nearly as good. So combine that with a lack of movement and you get what we often see.

Image a team with 5 Ricardo's in it though... then we'd be playing it much faster. Unfortunately there is only one! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It wasn't false, we deserved to be in both positions. We are also 21 games into the season, not really comparable to being top after about 7 games or so. When a good run of fixtures can chuck you up the league because you've played easier teams. Taylor also continued to **** with the O'Neill team and pissed players off, whilst Pearson bought players and changed formation to fix the issues we had.

People keep going on about using the players he has, and do what with them? What style of football is it that you're actually suggesting is going to work? Countering doesn't, we know that, we've tried it and it doesn't happen any more against defensive teams. Buying one massive striker and lumping it up top? I'm lost as to what is being suggested.

I don't think we need loads more players, I think the addition of three more players on top of what we've got could see a change in fortunes presuming they actually are Ricardo, Maddison level of players.

Let’s start at the back Schmeichel, stop him lumping it over Chilwell’s head, it’s clearly a tactic but it is ineffective even when he actually finds him. Morgan and Ndidi: stop passing them the ball when under pressure, when they have the ball we need the rest of the team to work harder to give them outlets so we are not giving the ball away in dangerous positions or allow them to launch it clear and not play these silly little chip clearances in an attempt to keep possession. Mendy as the more comfortable on the ball should be primarily doing this and Hamza if picked. Same with the full backs they can’t just bomb off all the time. We need them to act like extra midfielders when in a possession phase. Vardy needs to come deeper when the chance of a counter has gone, even if all it does is give the defence something to think about.

I don’t know how much of these things are down to Puel or the players, but the fact it doesn’t change makes me think it is Puel’s instruction.

If Puel can’t adapt his approach we will need to replace Schmeichel, Morgan, Ndidi, Albrighton, Gray, Vardy and a whole host of back up players.

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Hamza was unwell for the game, hence why he didn't feature in the squad at all, but was restored as a first team starter versus Everton

That’s not what Puel said?  He said it was tactical 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

That’s not what Puel said?  He said it was tactical 

Where did he say that? Not saying that wasn't the reason, but I heard multiple reports on the day that he had been left out due to illness when they discussed the team lineups before the match. 

Ah OK, I found it. Ok well in this case, Puel made a cock-up! Which I think we all agree with having seen the Cardiff game! I do think that was a big mistake because I'd have liked to have seen the 433. Seems in that case that it's 4231 against bottom 10 teams and 433 against top 10 teams.

“Hamza was rested, I took the option with Vicente Iborra on the bench because we played against a team with long kicks, high balls and a lot of aerial battles. If we needed a midfielder at the end to defend our position.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

But we had the two big men as backup before and they weren't exactly ripping up trees.

If he looks at what we've got and thinks, like most of us seem to. That we will need a striker, a CM comfortable on the ball who can pick a pass and a better winger. Then he should get the time to move the squad around into a position that means we can get them in.

Totally agree with the 2 target men not being good enough, would have thought keeping one as an option would have served more use. It's just left us threadbare on ideas, we know Slimani can get the odd goal.. fair enough he's no Messi but sticking him on in those tough games I think he could have still proven useful.

In an ideal world we would get a decent target man but I do feel we should have at least kept one as an option... hopefully the dragon slayer returns :D

15 minutes ago, Attywolf said:

Thats what makes a player average with as many strengths as weaknesses. Why not bring up maddison or Ricardo they tick all his boxes and look good. He has brought more good players then bad and you still use the bad as the norm. I remember when mahrez looked like a bad buy in his first year and look at the player he is after getting use to English football

Not true, you compare Ndidi’s strengths and weaknesses he is average, play to his strengths he is a beast. Same with Vardy. Ghezzal is average at everything.

Ricardo is a great player, but this system allows it by taking defensive responsibility away from him. He is not a great defender and that is way Puel preferred Amartey in that position, another average player. 

Maddison has been a very good signing, we had the opportunity because he was young and untested, they will not all make the step up. 

16 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Let’s start at the back Schmeichel, stop him lumping it over Chilwell’s head, it’s clearly a tactic but it is ineffective even when he actually finds him. Morgan and Ndidi: stop passing them the ball when under pressure, when they have the ball we need the rest of the team to work harder to give them outlets so we are not giving the ball away in dangerous positions or allow them to launch it clear and not play these silly little chip clearances in an attempt to keep possession. Mendy as the more comfortable on the ball should be primarily doing this and Hamza if picked. Same with the full backs they can’t just bomb off all the time. We need them to act like extra midfielders when in a possession phase. Vardy needs to come deeper when the chance of a counter has gone, even if all it does is give the defence something to think about.

I don’t know how much of these things are down to Puel or the players, but the fact it doesn’t change makes me think it is Puel’s instruction.

If Puel can’t adapt his approach we will need to replace Schmeichel, Morgan, Ndidi, Albrighton, Gray, Vardy and a whole host of back up players.

I'm still none the wiser what our style is meant to be?

We don't need to get rid of those players, that's insane. We're 7th and talking about just needing to create a few more goal scoring opportunities. How that equates to us having to change 7 starters god only knows. A CM who can offer something at both ends of the pitch and pass, a top class winger and another striker would be more than enough at this stage to see an improvement.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Ghezzal is a panic buy, the targets we were going for didn't come off and jumped at him.

11 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Not true, you compare Ndidi’s strengths and weaknesses he is average, play to his strengths he is a beast. Same with Vardy. Ghezzal is average at everything.

Ricardo is a great player, but this system allows it by taking defensive responsibility away from him. He is not a great defender and that is way Puel preferred Amartey in that position, another average player. 

Maddison has been a very good signing, we had the opportunity because he was young and untested, they will not all make the step up. 

Ricardo has been absolutely fine at RB defensively now he's settled. He moved him forward to let him adapt after a few mistakes, he's done little wrong since stepping back again. He's got 4 MOTM's not just for his attacking but for how good he's been defensively as well.

Anyway, I'm tired now I'm off to do some work for a bit.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I like your posts.  I disagree with a lot of them but you write well and I enjoy differing viewpoints.  Far better than the usual "PuEl iZ BorINg Get Out" drivel from a lot of anti Puel posters.  I do think you have been harsh there though, he has more tackles than anyone in the league and is in the top 20 for interceptions.  Apart from the first couple of games has looked as solid as anyone else at the back.  X

Edited by RumbleFox

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

I like your posts.  I disagree with a lot of them but you write well and I enjoy differing viewpoints.  Far better than the usual "PuEl iZ BorINg Get Out" drivel from a lot of anti Puel posters.  I do think you have been harsh there though, he has more tackles than anyone in the league and is inthe top 20 for interceptions.  Apart from the first couple of games has looked as solid as anyone else at the back.  X

He’s done well because the system allows it he doesn’t need to be positionally responsible so he can tear off at will and has license to recover the ball rather than get back to create a solid defensive line. Chilwell and Ricardo being our best players is no surprise as marauding full backs are the glory roles in this formation. 

Just now, Captain... said:

He’s done well because the system allows it he doesn’t need to be positionally responsible so he can tear off at will and has license to recover the ball rather than get back to create a solid defensive line. Chilwell and Ricardo being our best players is no surprise as marauding full backs are the glory roles in this formation. 

I don't disagree with any of that but I can still see no evidence (nor relevance in above post) to suggest he is "not a great defender".  X

15 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'm still none the wiser what our style is meant to be?

We don't need to get rid of those players, that's insane. We're 7th and talking about just needing to create a few more goal scoring opportunities. How that equates to us having to change 7 starters god only knows. A CM who can offer something at both ends of the pitch and pass, a top class winger and another striker would be more than enough at this stage to see an improvement.

Replace one player and you will get an improvement, but to play the way Puel wants effectively we need 6 or 7 new players well versed in how to play that. One weak link and the play will break down, we have too many players that are not good enough in possession.

You don’t know what our style is meant to be? Me neither, I’m suggesting ways we can improve whilst still sticking to Puel’s philosophy.

If it was up to me I would bin off any style that exposes the weaknesses of our regular starters or drop them. If you are adamant that you want to play possession football and dominate the play by passing it around then Morgan, Ndidi and Albrighton should be nowhere near the first team. You could argue Vardy too but we have no real alternative. We have a lot of players that excel at high pressing, yet we don’t employ a high press, we have players that excel at counter attacking, we do counter attack effectively, but the problems come when we don’t go forwards quickly. We should always be looking to counter, any team should it is so much easier to create a chance before the defence is set. What we need to work on is how to break down a set defence. This comes down to movement of the front players, but you will not find the front players making clever runs when the ball goes backwards, sideways and to the opposition. I’ve said in other threads when the opportunity for a counter is gone Vardy needs to drop deep link up with Mendy and Ndidi allowing the 3 to go beyond Vardy and hit the space he has created. We are too static and predictable when Maddison stands there waiting for the ball and Vardy stands there waiting for Maddison to get the ball and the wide players stay wide waiting for the ball then wait for the full backs to overlap. 

How much is Puel and how much is the players I don’t know but it is Puel’s responsibility to sort it out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Replace one player and you will get an improvement, but to play the way Puel wants effectively we need 6 or 7 new players well versed in how to play that. One weak link and the play will break down, we have too many players that are not good enough in possession.

You don’t know what our style is meant to be? Me neither, I’m suggesting ways we can improve whilst still sticking to Puel’s philosophy.

If it was up to me I would bin off any style that exposes the weaknesses of our regular starters or drop them. If you are adamant that you want to play possession football and dominate the play by passing it around then Morgan, Ndidi and Albrighton should be nowhere near the first team. You could argue Vardy too but we have no real alternative. We have a lot of players that excel at high pressing, yet we don’t employ a high press, we have players that excel at counter attacking, we do counter attack effectively, but the problems come when we don’t go forwards quickly. We should always be looking to counter, any team should it is so much easier to create a chance before the defence is set. What we need to work on is how to break down a set defence. This comes down to movement of the front players, but you will not find the front players making clever runs when the ball goes backwards, sideways and to the opposition. I’ve said in other threads when the opportunity for a counter is gone Vardy needs to drop deep link up with Mendy and Ndidi allowing the 3 to go beyond Vardy and hit the space he has created. We are too static and predictable when Maddison stands there waiting for the ball and Vardy stands there waiting for Maddison to get the ball and the wide players stay wide waiting for the ball then wait for the full backs to overlap. 

How much is Puel and how much is the players I don’t know but it is Puel’s responsibility to sort it out.

We absolutely need to improve in possession if we are a club. There is no getting around that of we want to push up the table regularly

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

21 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I don't disagree with any of that but I can still see no evidence (nor relevance in above post) to suggest he is "not a great defender".  X

Great defenders need to be positionally aware, Dani Alves or Marcelo are great full backs but they are not great defenders. It’s not a criticism of Ricardo he is exactly the kind of player that will do well for us if we play to his strengths, but he does have weaknesses and he was poor defensively at the start of the season while we were getting to grips with the formation and new players.

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

Great defenders need to be positionally aware, Dani Alves or Marcelo are great full backs but they are not great defenders. It’s not a criticism of Ricardo he is exactly the kind of player that will do well for us if we play to his strengths, but he does have weaknesses and he was poor defensively at the start of the season while we were getting to grips with the formation and new players.

Picked up pretty fooking quick though didnt he? Went from "he cant defend, not suited to this league" bla bla to nobody having a bad word to say about him defensively in the space of a couple of months

Plus he's our best attacking player lol

The guy is a machine and if we can keep on to him for another season at least it will be good

• Like 2