Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

I think we need to persist with 4-5-1 home and away for the rest of the season. We don’t have the creative flair atm to play otherwise! Hustle/bustle and open teams up that way is the way for us for now! We need to add two outstanding players ie brais Mendez and yacine brahimi 

Edited by Heymister2015

On 02/01/2019 at 16:21, Captain... said:

I’m not delusional I don’t think we should be beating anyone in the top 6 and our results and performances have been pretty decent against the top 6.

We also have a great record against the middling teams, Everton, Watford, Wolves.

It’s the dross that we’ve served up against Palace, Bournemouth, Burnley, Brighton, Fulham, West Ham and now Cardiff. We were very fortunate to beat Southampton and were hardly scintillating against Newcastle, Huddersfield and Cardiff away. My patience has run out, until recently I was on the fence but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I just don’t see things getting better until he changes and the all too predictable formation/performance/result against Cardiff undid all the good work from Man City and Chelsea. We were also utter garbage first half yesterday fortunately so were Everton.

Things can't change until he has a more suitable squad of players to choose from. You can shuffle them all you like but for example, we still only have one forward and, with the best will in the world, he is best playing in a particular way. No point in Albrighton reigning in high crosses for example. Nacho, promised a lot but gave nothing. We're still short of a particular type of midfielder. These two things alone are so easy to see but can't realistically be fixed until the summer IF we can find someone suitable that's willing to come plus we are talking about perhaps the most two sort after types of player that many teams are after.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, F1_AN said:

The interview I heard he indicated he was rested as Cardiff sit deep and he wasn’t suitable for that 

He is willing and prepared to explain his selection decisions even when they backfire despite his limited English . Nigel would probably just walk out waving his middle finger 

@Babylon I think our debate yesterday spoke a lot of sense to me, I'm still in the Puel out camp but I'm not demanding he goes straight away. I understand the difficulties he faces as a manager but I'm willing to give him time to try and get it right. There are elements I need convincing with him but I'm open to seeing how he gets on. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

@Babylon I think our debate yesterday spoke a lot of sense to me, I'm still in the Puel out camp but I'm not demanding he goes straight away. I understand the difficulties he faces as a manager but I'm willing to give him time to try and get it right. There are elements I need convincing with him but I'm open to seeing how he gets on. 

''Puel in'' in all but name that sounds like :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 02/01/2019 at 19:44, Heymister2015 said:

I think we need to persist with 4-5-1 home and away for the rest of the season. We don’t have the creative flair atm to play otherwise! Hustle/bustle and open teams up that way is the way for us for now! We need to add two outstanding players ie brais Mendez and yacine brahimi 

We have to accept that the 4-5-1/4-3-3 that we've used against Man City, Chelsea and Everton serves a particular purpose and isn't a flexible formation that can be used between now and the end of the season. If we had used it against Cardiff, Choudury and all, we would have created even less chances than we did playing 4-2-3-1.

I think people also need to accept that Choudury will probably only start when using the counter-attacking 4-3-3 system. As impressive as his transition has been, Ndidi and Mendy are still currently safer options when only playing two central midfielders.

Edited by Ricey
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ricey said:

We have to accept that the 4-5-1/4-3-3 that we've used against Man City, Chelsea and Everton serves a particular purpose and isn't a flexible formation that can be used between now and the end of the season. If we had used it against Cardiff, Choudury and all, we would have created even less chances than we playing 4-2-3-1.

I think people also need to accept that Choudury will probably only start when using the counter-attacking 4-3-3 system. As impressive as his transition has been, Ndidi and Mendy are still currently safer options when only playing two central midfielders.

agree with that tbh, against certain teams we arent going to use 4-5-1/4-3-3, certainly dont expect us to use it in our next couple of games against newport or southampton,

although i wouldnt mind seeing how Choudury faired in a 4-2-3-1 formation being one of the 2 DCM, from what i remember he did reasonably well in the role in the Arsenal home game last season

39 minutes ago, Ricey said:

We have to accept that the 4-5-1/4-3-3 that we've used against Man City, Chelsea and Everton serves a particular purpose and isn't a flexible formation that can be used between now and the end of the season. If we had used it against Cardiff, Choudury and all, we would have created even less chances than we playing 4-2-3-1.

I'd like to see Choudury in a two: his interception and tackling stats rival ndidi and he's more confident passing it forwards. Ndidi is more likely to score from long range, win headers and (if he gets his confidence up) could get a decent key pass in, eg in case of the Chelsea goal, however. 

• Like 1

Surely we are all set for a 352 system now? It is quite blatantly clearly obvious 4231 does not work. 

We have 3 centre halfs in Evans, Maguire and Morgan who are all in good form lately, 2 full backs who love to attack in Chilwell and Ricardo and allowing ourselves to play 2 up top with 1 in behind gives us so much more attacking presence. 

For some reason though Puel has never seemed favourable of a 352. Ultimately, his time will be determined on his stubbornness to change system at home. Home performances have been boring and turgid and say what you like but this is down to Puel and the way he sets us up. The personnel are there, be brave. 

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

Yup, there's a lot of truth in this, I suspect.

Puel was tasked with the relatively thankless job of transitioning the squad away from older players to younger, and from a style that the league had figured out to one that could work sustainably in modern football.  There was always going to be resistance to that among the old guard, the press and a lot of fans.  I would like to think ownership understood going in that there were going to be rough seas, and that they needed to keep their eyes on the horizon and not give in to short-sighted negativity. 

Good post.

We are heading for a top 7 finish which would be amazing even if it isn’t always pretty to watch. One or 2 new players in the right positions and I think the second half of the season Will be a good one. Hopefully take the fa cup serious no need to rest to many players for that after this round so go all out for the cup and 7th place. 

13 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Some on here resent him because he has a quiet personality.

That part baffles me, because his personality is far from quiet, that's only the way how he behaves with the media.

In France, he has the reputation of being kind of intense, even a bit crazy.
For instance, during his first training session as a player under Wenger he violently tackled him.
During pre-season training, he does all the stamina exercices, often finishing ahead of the players.
During training sessions he lead, he plays as roughly as when he was a player.
He is known to often yell and be very vocal when he is not ok with the way his players are acting.
He even fist fighted some players several times also during training sessions...

I talked about that several times, but the myth about his quietness still exist, because people only know him through pointless interviews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1