Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Newport post match thread 2- 1

Ah the magic of the FA cup and a giant killing. Great fun when it happens to someone else. Horrible when it happens to you. 

Today highlighted just how poor our second string players are and the rebuilding job that is required this summer. 

Not that I’m letting Puel off the hook today. The selection of Okazaki was ridiculous. He’s been useless for quite a while now, and Maddison didn’t play against Everton so why did he require more rest? And given our problems at centre forward not having Vardy on the bench was a massive risk. 

All that said, I thought we’d got out of jail with the Ghezzal goal. Can’t believe Albrighton’s brain fart put us back in the shit when we had the chance to get em back at our place. 

• Like 4

The only saving grace for Puel is that most of the players that didn’t perform in this game were the old guard. We had enough chances and quality to put them away and didn’t. Not Puel’s fault. 

Would we have really expected him to put out our full strength team for Newport? Serious question. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Aaannndddd the texts and messages start arriving from mates of other clubs - lovely. A night of piss take and humiliation to look forward to :rolleyes:

There's a joke in there somewhere, bro, but I'm too pissed off to look for it.

What a fvcking shambles.

• Like 1

Can't see why being 7th in the League and half way through rebuilding the side has anything to do with picking that ridiculous starting line up today. Whatever side of the Puel fence you are on, just face facts and accept he has to carry the can for that today and move on to something else.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, smr said:

That's well unfair. Out of all the players on there today Albrighton as usual ran his ****ing bollocks off, tried far more than anyone else. Nacho didn't even break a ****ing sweat, literally not one bede of sweat. At least Albrighton gives it a LOT of effort and it clearly means a lot to him trying to win the game. Was all over the place today trying shots, crosses passes etc. In fact amongst the absolute dross he was motm. 

In other words he runs around a lot. 

But there's no getting round it - he committed an act of unfathomable  stupidity that was absolutely responsible for our painful absence from the draw tomorrow night.

i don't care how far he fugging runs.

Edited by Stoopid

3 minutes ago, Pete from the USA said:

We can complain about the manager, but we have a deeper problem: our squad isn't skilled enough to play the passing game needed to break down defenses. We can beat any team who come out and attack. But we can't beat a packed-in defense, even one from League 2.

Bang on. Everyone can see this is the problem. I like to believe with time and stability it will come though. Puel knows it too. Of course he does.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydenhamFox said:

Bang on. Everyone can see this is the problem. I like to believe with time and stability it will come though. Puel knows it too. Of course he does.

And with some more clinical finishing it would have been enough today. No Vardy no party! 

3 minutes ago, Pete from the USA said:

We can complain about the manager, but we have a deeper problem: our squad isn't skilled enough to play the passing game needed to break down defenses. We can beat any team who come out and attack. But we can't beat a packed-in defense, even one from League 2.

Agree there is a lot of dead wood that needs to be got rid of. However, the manager must optimize the talent at his disposal by integrating players lacking match fitness and or lacking in confidence effectively. Looking at the team he threw out there today it is hard to make a case that he did that.

5 minutes ago, alfox13 said:

Can't believe some on here are blaming the players when I saw the team I knew they were up against it the blame clearly lies with whoever selected them and drew up the tactics, the buck stops there. 

OK so your either drunk or high? A lot of these players won the league a couple of seasons ago.... A striker we bought for £25m, a couple of 'first team' players..... Hmmm I think that should have been good enough for them to beat a league 2 team? You don't? Puel... How dare he trust his players. 

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

4-3-3 might be the way forward after all...

Of our last 5 games, we played with 3 in the middle in 3 of them, and won them all. We reverted to 2 CMs for the other 2, and lost them both.

When is Puel going to get it?

11 minutes ago, SydenhamFox said:

The only saving grace for Puel is that most of the players that didn’t perform in this game were the old guard. We had enough chances and quality to put them away and didn’t. Not Puel’s fault. 

Would we have really expected him to put out our full strength team for Newport? Serious question. 

No i for one didn't expect him to put our full first team out. But neither did I expect him yo play two players that have not played any part with our squad in a year that was

bad judgment. Plus no striker on the bench even a under 23 striker would have loved this experience. Thought he was all about youth!!

• Like 1

Just now, deep blue said:

Of our last 5 games, we played with 3 in the middle in 3 of them, and won them all. We reverted to 2 CMs for the other 2, and lost them both.

When is Puel going to get it?

For those 3 games we flooded the midfield and effectively nulled out Chelsea, Man City and Everton of any space to be creative. I don't think Newport deserve that much respect. 

13 minutes ago, alfox13 said:

Can't believe some on here are blaming the players when I saw the team I knew they were up against it the blame clearly lies with whoever selected them and drew up the tactics, the buck stops there. 

"It's not our fault we're crap. It's your fault for selecting us!"

The team selected was good enough to win. Newport wanted it more than we did.

46 minutes ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

as for iheanacho, I’m convinced if we can play to his strengths he can do the business. Ronaldo/messi couldn’t have done any better with that service.

He's had plenty of chances, he makes 0 effort to get himself in space or make any form of run. When he does make a run, he's offside.

He's not some 17 year old kid who's finding his feet, this is an international world cup player.