Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Man Utd Home Post Match 0-1

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Fairly obvious that they were booing the decision to take our most creative player off the pitch after 60 minutes in a game we were losing.

Who'd taken a kick in the first half (that last gasp block) and spent a while hobbling. Who wasn't having that much effect? The only one of the 4 attackers that definitely should have stayed on while trying to change it was Barnes. Maddison can have no complaints coming off, and Ghezzal offered more than him. Almost like our fans know jack shit. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bpfox said:

SORRY DONT SEE barnes as anything other than a very ordinary player, he dosent have great dribbling skills and he will not win us a game with his movement off the ball. saying that vardy was very poor also today, so again not buying a class striker during the window will bit us on the arse.

lollollol 

What a Clown!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Dames said:

If anything he should have taken Mendy off who was skirting close to a second yellow throughout the second half.

This is part of the problem for Puel, he's too conservative. He was happy making like for like subsititutions with the hope of something coming off instead of taking off one of his under performing CDMs and taking a risk - we were already 1-0 down at that point we are losing the 3 points anyway, why not go for it?. Add in the fact that Utd never looked like they really got going all afternoon its just another time we are saying Puel has potentially missed an opportunity to capitalise on something because of his cautious nature.

Obviously it would be a completely different story if the Man Utd team worth 100s of Millions of Pounds completely blew us away and outplayed us but they didn't, we gifted them the lead and then they could coast as they had one eye on the Champions League next week and didn't want to over exert themselves.

Yeah at the 60th minute or so i'd have taken Mendy off for Choudhury.

Mendy was begging for a 2nd yellow and wasn't getting the ball fast enough through the midfield.

Naturally, I'm disappointed with the result as defeat was unavoidable as United were largely poor. The real concern still is the lack of conviction up front and then having to resort to brining on Shinji and Nacho to remedy that is bloody terrifying. Home form is getting a bit worrying but given the atmosphere at times, it's hardly that surprising!

Edited by burleighfox

1 hour ago, Dickov22 said:

Wow. And I thought Barnes looked as though he’s going to be an absolute hell of a player. Very excited by him and what a difference it makes to have someone who is willing to pick the ball up and drive forward with purpose. I loved his performance. 

Exactly this. Obviously not everything he tried came off but he kept driving at his man and trying to do the positive thing. I'm surprised by how quick he is - for the chance he created for Vardy he breezed past Bailly, one of the quickest centre backs in the league, like he wasn't there. Like Chilwell, he seems to have gained an extra yard or two of pace over the summer.

Imagine writing him off as "very ordinary" after his second ever Premier League start lol

36 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Who'd taken a kick in the first half (that last gasp block) and spent a while hobbling. Who wasn't having that much effect? The only one of the 4 attackers that definitely should have stayed on while trying to change it was Barnes. Maddison can have no complaints coming off, and Ghezzal offered more than him. Almost like our fans know jack shit. 

Maddison has created someting like the 3rd most goalscoring chances in the entire league. Without him we've generally looked completely toothless.

Puel can't have been surprised to hear frustration from fans when we're taking off one of our better players for someone who has been seriously shit against the likes of Newport this season.

5 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Except Maddison was not playing well yesterday and can have no complaints about being taken off. And, again, Ghezzal offered more yesterday than Maddison did, worked De Gea more and created as much. Puel was right to take him off, and if Vardy could actually finish this season and Evans hadn't fallen over his own feet from a header back across, we'd have taken something from that. He knows better than our fans, that's why he's a professional manager with a relatively successful career being top half in two countries, while the crowd don't know their arse from their elbow. Trust the manager and support the ****ing club, because right now we've probably got the most deluded and entitled fanbase in football, and that's why we're better away from home, because we don't have to suffer those fans.

You're talking with hindsight though.

I personally thought Maddison was offering more than Gray and over the season Maddison has offered goals and assists by the bucket load and Ghezzal has played with two left feet.

I'm not saying that Ghezzal did have a bad game. You're right to say that he was actually lively and nearly scored a wonderful freekick. But you can't have been watching that game if you thought that Maddison off and Ghezzal on was the right decision on the 62nd minute.

Just now, AKCJ said:

You're talking with hindsight though.

I personally thought Maddison was offering more than Gray and over the season Maddison has offered goals and assists by the bucket load and Ghezzal has played with two left feet.

I'm not saying that Ghezzal did have a bad game. You're right to say that he was actually lively and nearly scored a wonderful freekick. But you can't have been watching that game if you thought that Maddison off and Ghezzal on was the right decision on the 62nd minute.

Except I was. I'd have perhaps taken Gray off, but it was a coin toss either way, neither was better than the other and the only one who could have had legitimate grievances if he'd been taken off while the others stayed on of those front three was Barnes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I do recall something from the first half that confused me

rashford offside in the centre circle - Harry with the free kick - Barnes and Ben with a two on one against young down the left .....usually that is Harry’s stock ball in these situations. But he dallied and eventually decided to play a drilled ball to the right for Ricardo to compete in the air against pogba.  At no point did Rashford get back and cover young so the two on one remained available. Very strange .......

We really failed to take advantage of United's current shape. 

I find the acclaim for Ole's tactics baffling when it's A to Z stuff. 

Plays 4-3-3 - the wingers don't track back. Sit in. Pogba releases the ball from deep towards the workshy wingers. It gives you loads of space for the full-backs to punish - if you are clever. 

8 hours ago, bpfox said:

SORRY DONT SEE barnes as anything other than a very ordinary player, he dosent have great dribbling skills and he will not win us a game with his movement off the ball. saying that vardy was very poor also today, so again not buying a class striker during the window will bit us on the arse.

So you waited about one and half game before writing him off. That's some patience right there. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Fairly obvious that they were booing the decision to take our most creative player off the pitch after 60 minutes in a game we were losing.

Obviously they were booing at Puel, but it must have been ringing in Ghezzal's ears as he ran on. Players are still human, (even if they are paid obscene money) and these things effect them. Everyone wants to be loved. Ghezzal has a lot of critics and a lot to prove. It can't have helped his confidence one bit.

So I was really chuffed to watch how Ghezzal reacted, with a really good performance. Huge credit to him, for 30 minutes he was the best player on the pitch. 

First opportunity I’ve had to post since the game.

Second half I’m afraid we were never gonna break them down. And to yet again bring on Shinji and bloody Nacho is not good enough for attacking subs in a Premiership side. Shinji is over now and Nacho has never started....

I can’t understand the Barnes love-in. He’s got bags of potential but I can’t recollect hearing his name first half. Second half he did some nice things but I can only think those describing him as ‘great’ are either wearing tinted specs or need to see a neurologist.

We played well but don’t half miss that cutting edge up front. How much longer can we rely on Vardy’s goals?

Thought Ghezzal was ok when he came on.

All in all, Utd pick up another three points and we lost at home, again.

All the huffing and puffing we did wont change that.

On 04/02/2019 at 10:48, AKCJ said:

Maddison has created someting like the 3rd most goalscoring chances in the entire league. Without him we've generally looked completely toothless.

Puel can't have been surprised to hear frustration from fans when we're taking off one of our better players for someone who has been seriously shit against the likes of Newport this season.

Completely agree. Was he injured?

If not, why oh why take off our most creative player?

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Completely agree. Was he injured?

If not, why oh why take off our most creative player?

I think there is an argument that Gray was just as deserving of being taken off, and probably an even bigger one that we should have removed Mendy before him. But I don't think he can have too many complaints as he just wasn't having that much impact at the time.

Those Maddison stats are key passes, which is basically he makes the pass which results in a shot. Which could be a corner, laying it off for Ndidi to blaze is over from 25 yards. It doesn't really highlight the quality of chance he's creating. He's created 9 big chances this season, which is pretty decent but when you take into account he's the main set piece taker it takes the shine off that a little from open play.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Do you think Maddison was playing particularly well? Genuine question

Also, do you not think Ghezzal played well and we looked better after the sub?

Yes I said above Ghezzal looked fine when he came on.

But for me it’s clear. We are at home, needing a goal to equalise when we take off Maddison to be replaced by Ghezzal and then bring on Okazaki and Nacho.

Hows that for a lack of strength in depth of quality.

And so it proved. I love Shinji but keeping on subbing him on with Nacho is not good enough at all.

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Those Maddison stats are key passes, which is basically he makes the pass which results in a shot. Which could be a corner, laying it off for Ndidi to blaze is over from 25 yards. It doesn't really highlight the quality of chance he's creating. He's created 9 big chances this season, which is pretty decent but when you take into account he's the main set piece taker it takes the shine off that a little from open play.

The problem is Babs any constructive debate is not possible because it is all wrapped up in the Puel in or out debate. IMO Maddison at the time of the sub was either suffering with a knock or flagging, Gray was not making an impact and Mendy should have been hooked because he was walking a tightrope! 

Ghezzal looked decent when he came on and we played well enough to have gotten something out of the game.

I do believe the toxic atmosphere is contributing to the nerves and performances at home and our away results back it up.

Sadly though a section of our increasingly deluded and entitled fans have forgotten about supporting the team.

• Like 1