Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Man Utd Home Post Match 0-1

3 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Just as an aside, I wasn't specifically talking about Sunday's match, but more about our season in general.

It's a recurring theme, and a very worrying one.

Our defense seems fine, it's just going forward that we are so frustrating to watch. If it's not sideways and backwards passing, our midfielders can't really link up with Vardy or any other striker, it becomes tedious and overly complicated. One of our best passes going forward against Manchester United came from Maguire...

I agree they are not linking up but that will take time,probably longer than we think.

i thought there was a lot more attempts at moving the ball quickly and being creative than the last few weeks although most didnt come off.

26 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Decent performance that deserved at least a point, but again let down by the 15 minute snooze at the start. Barnes looks a very exciting prospect.

How thick must Mendy be to keep pulling players back when he’s on a yellow with Dean as ref? I’d try Ndidi & Choudhury or the new chap.

SORRY DONT SEE barnes as anything other than a very ordinary player, he dosent have great dribbling skills and he will not win us a game with his movement off the ball. saying that vardy was very poor also today, so again not buying a class striker during the window will bit us on the arse.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bpfox said:

SORRY DONT SEE barnes as anything other than a very ordinary player, he dosent have great dribbling skills and he will not win us a game with his movement off the ball. saying that vardy was very poor also today, so again not buying a class striker during the window will bit us on the arse.

Aye, so you said...

I do recall something from the first half that confused me

rashford offside in the centre circle - Harry with the free kick - Barnes and Ben with a two on one against young down the left .....usually that is Harry’s stock ball in these situations. But he dallied and eventually decided to play a drilled ball to the right for Ricardo to compete in the air against pogba.  At no point did Rashford get back and cover young so the two on one remained available. Very strange .......

41 minutes ago, bpfox said:

It’s probably best to keep nonsense to yourself.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Harry has been generally injury free .......can’t say the same for benko who does apppear to need ‘managing’ in that dept. 

Playing on the occasional 

plastic pitch and being brought back potentially to quickly after the Tangets game has not helped. You do hope our Club are keeping an eye on his treatment.

It's so frustrating because we played well against an in form man utd. If it wasn't for us being sloppy in the first 15 mins we should have at least got a point.

It is clear to me that we cannot play both ndidi and Mendy. We need to bring in Hamza or Tielimans and drop preferably Mendy.

Barnes looked like an exciting prospect but needs a bit more finesse to his game. Hopefully he will get that with game time. 

One thing I don't think Puel got right yesterday was the substitutions. Maddison was the sort of player we needed to create chances - him off for Ghezzal and then moving Gray centrally did not make sense to me. I think it's obvious but we need way more up front if we are going to be successful playing the way we are.

A match ending with the predicted outcome , we had our chances to get one or two back but they were fluffed and we lost.

I agree with many the midfield two need to change as the ball hardly ever gets threaded forward and so our counter attacking momentum was regularly extinguished.

It was tough opposition TBF but I left the stadium frustrated and wondering what on earth were the substitutions all about!

12 minutes ago, shailen said:

It's so frustrating because we played well against an in form man utd. If it wasn't for us being sloppy in the first 15 mins we should have at least got a point.

It is clear to me that we cannot play both ndidi and Mendy. We need to bring in Hamza or Tielimans and drop preferably Mendy.

Barnes looked like an exciting prospect but needs a bit more finesse to his game. Hopefully he will get that with game time. 

One thing I don't think Puel got right yesterday was the substitutions. Maddison was the sort of player we needed to create chances - him off for Ghezzal and then moving Gray centrally did not make sense to me. I think it's obvious but we need way more up front if we are going to be successful playing the way we are.

It didnt make sense to anyone apparently, but in practise it worked out

Ghezzal made more happen on the flank than Maddison did all game - and his set pieces were dangerous, Madderz had a few in good positions but Ghezzal took his much better

I think Gray had to go up top after that sub to keep some pace through the centre and because he can finish also

Its a great example of fans spitting teeth because of something Puel does which ultimately betrays what ignorant berks most of us are. In reality it made a lot of sense and we almost had joy from that sub

Man Ure were poor. We should have won that match, but I honestly think our fans are costing us and are poisoning the team at The King Power. 

I thought Ghezzal was excellent, but the booing of him as he ran on was utterly appalling. Glad he played really well for the time he was on.

But we must start taking chances. We miss so many each match it has cost us a top 7 place. The fans are having a very negative effect on our players they are snatching at chances, or are afraid to be adventurous in case they get booed.

• Like 4

Its amazing how many people are blaming the fans before even thinking about questioning the person in charge of picking, training and preparing the team.

Yes a section of our support has turned toxic lately but the team has been consistently below average bordering on poor for 2 and a half years, especially at home. A few good results aside the quality of football on show at the KP has been dreadful in that time and unfortunately its coming to a head. Being the man in charge for the past 15 or so months Puel is the one that is going to take the brunt of that frustration.

Back to my point, the fans dont pick the team, they dont decide how and when to train, they dont decide the tactics, they dont decide the substitutions, all they do is turn up to support the team. A team which has been underperforming for a long time, especially at home. I don’t agree with the booing at all but when the team are set up to be conservative and aim to contain the opposition but instead concede early goals it sets a tone. Its 50/50 between the team and fans to build an atmosphere and a good proportion of the fanbase are fed up of picking up the slack on the teams behalf. 

As a side point the holier than thou fans who jump down everyones throats for even daring to disagree with anything about the club are as bad, if not worse than the dullards who boo everything and blindly hate the manager and certain players.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dames said:

Its amazing how many people are blaming the fans before even thinking about questioning the person in charge of picking, training and preparing the team.

Yes a section of our support has turned toxic lately but the team has been consistently below average bordering on poor for 2 and a half years, especially at home. A few good results aside the quality of football on show at the KP has been dreadful in that time and unfortunately its coming to a head. Being the man in charge for the past 15 or so months Puel is the one that is going to take the brunt of that frustration.

Back to my point, the fans dont pick the team, they dont decide how and when to train, they dont decide the tactics, they dont decide the substitutions, all they do is turn up to support the team. A team which has been underperforming for a long time, especially at home. I don’t agree with the booing at all but when the team are set up to be conservative and aim to contain the opposition but instead concede early goals it sets a tone. Its 50/50 between the team and fans to build an atmosphere and a good proportion of the fanbase are fed up of picking up the slack on the teams behalf. 

As a side point the holier than thou fans who jump down everyones throats for even daring to disagree with anything about the club are as bad, if not worse than the dullards who boo everything and blindly hate the manager and certain players.

You make a lot of good points here. On the last para, I think the people that do that are actually very small in number. I think there are more who tire of moronic repetition of hateful, myopic, noisy horse s**t - there is plenty of critical stuff written that I fully agree with, and I am sure that's the case for the majority of those who are currently willing to wait a little longer and see what unfolds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bpfox said:

He's only just came back, played a few matches looked pretty decent so far and is still young. It might be a little bit early to write him off.....

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Man Ure were poor. We should have won that match, but I honestly think our fans are costing us and are poisoning the team at The King Power. 

I thought Ghezzal was excellent, but the booing of him as he ran on was utterly appalling. Glad he played really well for the time he was on.

But we must start taking chances. We miss so many each match it has cost us a top 7 place. The fans are having a very negative effect on our players they are snatching at chances, or are afraid to be adventurous in case they get booed.

Fairly obvious that they were booing the decision to take our most creative player off the pitch after 60 minutes in a game we were losing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Fairly obvious that they were booing the decision to take our most creative player off the pitch after 60 minutes in a game we were losing.

You say "obvious" but put yourself in Ghezzal's shoes.  The booers may well have been making a sophisticated vocal argument about the merits of the manager's decision but as a player, to hear boos when you come on, I just cannot imagine any world in which that is a productive thing for our fans to do or any world in which it would affect a player anything other than negatively.  X

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

You say "obvious" but put yourself in Ghezzal's shoes.  The booers may well have been making a sophisticated vocal argument about the merits of the manager's decision but as a player, to hear boos when you come on, I just cannot imagine any world in which that is a productive thing for our fans to do or any world in which it would affect a player anything other than negatively.  X

I'm not arguing about whether it was right or wrong to boo Puel, but I think it was very clear that the boos were aimed at him and nobody else.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Do you think we played better after that sub? I thought we improved in the attacking third and created a good proportion of our chances in that last 30.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

He's only just came back, played a few matches looked pretty decent so far and is still young. It might be a little bit early to write him off.....

Especially when he looked our brightest attacker by a distance when he got the ball.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Do you think we played better after that sub? I thought we improved in the attacking third and created a good proportion of our chances in that last 30.

I thought we naturally improved as Man United decided to shut up shop and we had more of the ball in key areas.

We didn't improve because we took Maddison off. He should have played on. I'd probably have taken Gray off if I wanted to bring Ghezzal on.

2 hours ago, bpfox said:

Wow. And I thought Barnes looked as though he’s going to be an absolute hell of a player. Very excited by him and what a difference it makes to have someone who is willing to pick the ball up and drive forward with purpose. I loved his performance. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I thought we naturally improved as Man United decided to shut up shop and we had more of the ball in key areas.

We didn't improve because we took Maddison off. He should have played on. I'd probably have taken Gray off if I wanted to bring Ghezzal on.

If anything he should have taken Mendy off who was skirting close to a second yellow throughout the second half.

This is part of the problem for Puel, he's too conservative. He was happy making like for like subsititutions with the hope of something coming off instead of taking off one of his under performing CDMs and taking a risk - we were already 1-0 down at that point we are losing the 3 points anyway, why not go for it?. Add in the fact that Utd never looked like they really got going all afternoon its just another time we are saying Puel has potentially missed an opportunity to capitalise on something because of his cautious nature.

Obviously it would be a completely different story if the Man Utd team worth 100s of Millions of Pounds completely blew us away and outplayed us but they didn't, we gifted them the lead and then they could coast as they had one eye on the Champions League next week and didn't want to over exert themselves.

8 minutes ago, Dames said:

If anything he should have taken Mendy off who was skirting close to a second yellow throughout the second half.

This is part of the problem for Puel, he's too conservative. He was happy making like for like subsititutions with the hope of something coming off instead of taking off one of his under performing CDMs and taking a risk - we were already 1-0 down at that point we are losing the 3 points anyway, why not go for it?. Add in the fact that Utd never looked like they really got going all afternoon its just another time we are saying Puel has potentially missed an opportunity to capitalise on something because of his cautious nature.

Obviously it would be a completely different story if the Man Utd team worth 100s of Millions of Pounds completely blew us away and outplayed us but they didn't, we gifted them the lead and then they could coast as they had one eye on the Champions League next week and didn't want to over exert themselves.

This is it in a nutshell. I don't get the we should have won argument at all. What I saw yesterday was a side who were gifted a goal and then didn't break sweat for the rest of the match against a team who basically played for around 10 minutes at the start of the 2nd half and perhaps 10 minutes at the end but were otherwise anaemic.

And it is the same arguments repeating themselves after almost every home game.

Too slow to move the ball in the transition phase

A terrible first 15 minutes

Not enough movement off the ball anywhere on the pitch but especially in the opponents half

2 defensive midfielders who can't or won't pass the ball forwards often and quick enough and who actually can't pass that well anyway and to compound matters seem not to want or are unable to offer themsleves for a pass with their back to the opponents goal meaning they never offer themselves for a pass out of defence but are always so deep.