Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

12 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

Why they bother doing broadcasts there,I find it funny.

last week BBC Breakfast were sited there for the whole show,and so was he.Half singing,Half shouting.

Does it matter if they are there or not.

My Mrs said it sounds like our house in the morning except he is more mature!

It’s ridiculous, and the female presenter spent half her time complaining how cold it was, another waste of licence payers money 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I'd argue Erskine May is effectively the constitutional document of the UK parliament. 

Then you'd be wrong.

If it can be overruled by a simple majority vote in Parliament - as is being suggested as one way around it - then it is meaningless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

UK employment at highest since 1971

The number of employed people in the UK has risen again, to a new record number of 32.7 million people between November and January, figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show.

The 76.1% employment rate is the highest since records began in 1971.

Unemployment fell by 35,000 to 1.34 million in the period, putting the rate below 4% for the first time since 1975.

The figure is 112,000 lower than a year ago, giving a jobless rate of 3.9%, well below the EU average of 6.5%.

Average weekly earnings, excluding bonuses, were estimated to have increased by 3.4%, before adjusting for inflation, down by 0.1% on the previous month but still outpacing inflation..

_106084096_employment-nc.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47622415

Proves one thing..Zero hr contracts improve the stats better than the YTS...of Maggie's era..

Anyone remember that rant about school budgets earlier this month? Some new info on one of the cash strapped tory austerity victims. 

Ms Lowe, the head of Tolworth Girls' School in South London, was interviewed on Radio 4 and online earlier this month.

She told the BBC she'd made massive cuts thanks to a shortfall in funding from the Government.

The headteacher added: "I personally have cleaned the school, washed the toilets, served in the school canteen."

But official accounts show the school's cleaning budget nearly doubled from £30,000 to £57,000 in the year 2017-18.

And Ms Lowe's own salary rose by at least £10,000, reaching a total of £125-130,000.

Ms Lowe said the increased cash for cleaning and her own salary were linked to an increase in the size of the school.

She told The Sun: "The pupil population of the school has increased significantly and the school estate has increased significantly since 2017."

Official figures suggest the school had fewer pupils in 2018 than the year before.

Awkward as hell. lol

Edited by Innovindil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Buce said:

Then you'd be wrong.

If it can be overruled by a simple majority vote in Parliament - as is being suggested as one way around it - then it is meaningless.

I never said Erskine May was meaningless or meaningful. I said it was the constitution of the HoC.

Guest MattP
47 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Proves one thing..Zero hr contracts improve the stats better than the YTS...of Maggie's era..

Zero hour contracts have stayed at about the same level for the last four years and the total is still a small part of the entire workforce. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/articles/contractsthatdonotguaranteeaminimumnumberofhours/april2018

Edited by MattP

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

If, as the article suggests, water to supply 20 million people is lost through leakages in the system, where does it go?

Becomes groundwater and is essentially lost because it takes a bloody long time to make its way back into the freshwater reservoirs to be used again.

27 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Becomes groundwater and is essentially lost because it takes a bloody long time to make its way back into the freshwater reservoirs to be used again.

So, it's not exactly lost, it's just being saved for the future.

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

I’m delighted that Bercow has killed this deal. Regardless of what the consequences might be. TMs tactics were appalling.

I don't think it's dead yet. Indeed, TM has said she intends to bring it back a third time.

Apparently, she's going to ask the EU for a 3-month extension, but with the option to ask to extend it to 2 years.

How the hell that would work with the Euro elections, I'm not sure. Presumably we'd have to take part if the extension was longer than 3 months - and the EU would need to know pretty sharpish whether we were taking part.

It's not as if we could decide to run Euro elections in May - a decision would have to be taken by April (latest), I presume?

If the EU agree any sort of extension, there's talk of her bringing the deal back next week and telling Bercow that there has been "substantial change" due to the extension.

I presume she'd only risk that if she was confident she had the votes to get the deal passed, which didn't seem to be the case even before Bercow temporarily torpedoed her plan.

Ironically, the extension might make it more difficult for her to win MPs over, as there'd be no immediate cliff edge next week.

But if we have to take part in the Euro elections to get an extension beyond 3 months, there could effectively be a new cliff edge in April.

So, it could be TM Meaningful Vote 3 v. the prospect of a 2-year extension in April some time.

Of course, the EU might yet refuse an extension - or an extension beyond 3 months (needs to be unanimous)....

Or something else might get through parliament, maybe this Kyle/Wilson plan (May's Deal approved subject to a referendum) or a Soft Brexit plan or an election....

Clear as mud.....but never mind because "we're taking back control!" lol

3 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I don't think it's dead yet. Indeed, TM has said she intends to bring it back a third time.

Apparently, she's going to ask the EU for a 3-month extension, but with the option to ask to extend it to 2 years.

How the hell that would work with the Euro elections, I'm not sure. Presumably we'd have to take part if the extension was longer than 3 months - and the EU would need to know pretty sharpish whether we were taking part.

It's not as if we could decide to run Euro elections in May - a decision would have to be taken by April (latest), I presume?

If the EU agree any sort of extension, there's talk of her bringing the deal back next week and telling Bercow that there has been "substantial change" due to the extension.

I presume she'd only risk that if she was confident she had the votes to get the deal passed, which didn't seem to be the case even before Bercow temporarily torpedoed her plan.

Ironically, the extension might make it more difficult for her to win MPs over, as there'd be no immediate cliff edge next week.

But if we have to take part in the Euro elections to get an extension beyond 3 months, there could effectively be a new cliff edge in April.

So, it could be TM Meaningful Vote 3 v. the prospect of a 2-year extension in April some time.

Of course, the EU might yet refuse an extension - or an extension beyond 3 months (needs to be unanimous)....

Or something else might get through parliament, maybe this Kyle/Wilson plan (May's Deal approved subject to a referendum) or a Soft Brexit plan or an election....

Clear as mud.....but never mind because "we're taking back control!" lol

I wonder if the EU still want us to stay or are they so fed up with our mishandling of Brexit they'll be glad to get rid of us.lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, purpleronnie said:

I wonder if the EU still want us to stay or are they so fed up with our mishandling of Brexit they'll be glad to get rid of us.lol

They started off wanting us to stay, but at least some of them sound less sure now. :D

Reports suggest that some, in particular, are not keen on the idea of an extension beyond 3 months. Not only would it complicate the Euro elections, but it would mean that we'd still be in there exerting influence over important decisions, such as the next EU Budget for 2021-27 (?), which has to be drawn up in 2020....

Wouldn't surprise me if they agree to 3 months but no longer - or at least attach stringent conditions to any longer extension: scheduling of a referendum, parliament approving a Soft Brexit or whatever.

I wouldn't rule out the potential for chaos among the EU27 on Thursday, either, as the extension decision has to be unanimous.

Just imagine some of the possibilities: Macron making it difficult because he wants a more integrated EU, Italy demanding freedom to run a bigger national deficit, Spain flexing its muscles about Gibraltar etc.

Then, if some sort of Brexit is somehow approved, we could have what, 2-5 years or longer of more difficult negotiations over the future relationship....

The arguments over Brexit have barely started! lol

"You have to laugh or else you'd cry; you have to live or else you'd die", as those great philosophers The Piranhas once put it....

Guest MattP
33 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Well what do you think? The would rather give us an extension than kick us out on terms that would apparantly be a total disaster for us.

I do think some of the staunch federalists like Verhofstadt do realise now though they need rid of us to push ahead with the United States of Europe he wants.

I'm not even angry at them lot anymore, all the blame should lie with our politicians who let us get so far deep into this political union it's this chaotic to get out of it - God knows how those even further into it and in hook to it financially are going to do it like Italy or Greece when the time comes.

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

so we wont run out of water in 25 years time then.

Well....seeing as the water being lost won't be available again for the aforementioned thousands or millions of years, there might be problems depending on how much we actually have left available after those 25 years, yes.

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Well....seeing as the water being lost won't be available again for the aforementioned thousands or millions of years, there might be problems depending on how much we actually have left available after those 25 years, yes.

But we won't.

Guest MattP

We are going to run out of water now? Climate change or Brexit?

Would be one hell of an achievement for an island.

33 minutes ago, MattP said:

We are going to run out of water now? Climate change or Brexit?

Would be one hell of an achievement for an island.

Potable water, Matt, potable - I'm sure you're aware being an island nation doesn't really help with that one (in fact in some cases actually hinders it).

And due to a combination of climate change and bad infrastructure in need of updating, if the article is anything to go by. Good news is that something can be done about it, but it does highlight how critical such water supplies are and how the UK (along with a fair few other parts of the world) takes the abundance of such things for granted.