Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Furry muff.  But I'm pretty sure we were told the referendum was advisory, not final.

Legally it was advisory but we told by both campaigns and in the governments leaflet spam drop it would be followed.

Not quite on the side of a bus but it’s the same principle.

17 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

You haven't been to Coventry then

I have, and I thought the post war reconstruction was carried out sympathetically to the extent that the residents were probably glad it was almost destroyed

11 minutes ago, Buce said:

I read a couple of quotes from people who were taking part. One said, “If we don’t leave we’ll all be conscripted into an EU army led by the Germans”; the other (an ex soldier) said as he looked at all the Union flags, “It’s wonderful - it reminds me of when we followed the flag across the Falklands”. 

Of course, just to be clear, the idea that any Brexit voters were thick or racist is just another lie told by bitter Remainers. 

If the EU army he's worried about invades I'll be the first to collaborate with them.

I've just seen that the March To Leave calls in at Cropston. Cropston! If any of them are still alive

Just now, Strokes said:

Given how shitty you all got about the NHS bus being a promise, I think it would be hypocritical not to consider the vote binding.

I got shitty about the bus because it couldn't possibly be a promise yet it was a key campaign tool used to sway people.

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

I got shitty about the bus because it couldn't possibly be a promise yet it was a key campaign tool used to sway people.

Yes, well this coming from the government was a promise. I wouldn’t have bothered voting without it.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Yes I'm aware of that.

You claimed the government told us that though - which they didn't. They instead told us they would implement the decision as my post shows you.

Tbf I never looked into how legally binding the vote was before the fact because I underestimated how callously stupid this country was about to prove itself so I never paid that passage much due, but afterwards every legal expert and their mum were saying not to worry it's only advisory, sanity still has a chance, so that's what I was referring to.

• Like 1

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

Tbf I never looked into how legally binding the vote was before the fact because I underestimated how callously stupid this country was about to prove itself so I never paid that passage much due, but afterwards every legal expert and their mum were saying not to worry it's only advisory, sanity still has a chance, so that's what I was referring to.

Who knows what the future holds? It might be the sanest decision we ever made, none of us know - every time someone like GV opens his mouth any doubt I have soon subsides.

That said it's irrelevant now whether it was binding now anyway as parliament triggered Article 50 (thanks to Gina Miller) and enshrined into law that we leave.

If the public wanted to reverse decision they had the chance as well in the summer of 2017.

He cited a parliamentary rule dating from 1604 which states that a defeated motion could not be brought back in the same form during the course of a parliamentary session.

:nigel:

19 minutes ago, Izzy said:

He cited a parliamentary rule dating from 1604 which states that a defeated motion could not be brought back in the same form during the course of a parliamentary session.

That merely shows how far back the convention goes, bro.

It's not some obscure rule that was used once 400 years ago, it has been implemented many times since.

• Haha 1

Guest MattP
45 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I'm delighted he actually held precedent for once - it's something good the speaker should be doing. Very important if you value our constitution. It's just a shame he goes against it when it suits him.

For what it's worth I think he's done a May a favour, 22 ERG said in a letter to the Telegraph they were not going to support it so looking at the numbers it was going to be defeated again.

46 minutes ago, Izzy said:

That doesn't mean it was the last time it was used. it shows that it has been part of our decision making process since before Notts forest won the European cup.

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

I'm delighted he actually held precedent for once - it's something good the speaker should be doing. Very important if you value our constitution. It's just a shame he goes against it when it suits him.

For what it's worth I think he's done a May a favour, 22 ERG said in a letter to the Telegraph they were not going to support it so looking at the numbers it was going to be defeated again.

The UK doesn’t have a constitution. 

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, Buce said:

The UK doesn’t have a constitution. 

I'd argue Erskine May is effectively the constitutional document of the UK parliament. 

UK employment at highest since 1971

The number of employed people in the UK has risen again, to a new record number of 32.7 million people between November and January, figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show.

The 76.1% employment rate is the highest since records began in 1971.

Unemployment fell by 35,000 to 1.34 million in the period, putting the rate below 4% for the first time since 1975.

The figure is 112,000 lower than a year ago, giving a jobless rate of 3.9%, well below the EU average of 6.5%.

Average weekly earnings, excluding bonuses, were estimated to have increased by 3.4%, before adjusting for inflation, down by 0.1% on the previous month but still outpacing inflation..

_106084096_employment-nc.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47622415

• Like 3

It is quite amazing that Brexit is still due to happen in 10 days, the government haven't got a clue, the EU are the EU and yet the banking system hasn't collapsed, the pound hasn't withered, the stock market hasn't folded in on itself, people haven't been leaving/entering the UK in droves.....

Perhaps the people are a little more resilient than we were led to believe.

6 minutes ago, FIF said:

It is quite amazing that Brexit is still due to happen in 10 days, the government haven't got a clue, the EU are the EU and yet the banking system hasn't collapsed, the pound hasn't withered, the stock market hasn't folded in on itself, people haven't been leaving/entering the UK in droves.....

Perhaps the people are a little more resilient than we were led to believe.

What are you talking about. 

The country is in chaos, jobs are leaving in their thousands, medicine is becoming scarce and Friday night is no longer steak night. :frantics:

3 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I swear that that guy shouting outside Westminster is there every morning, I wondered if it was Jeremy Corbyn singing “we’re not ganna brexit anymore” over and over, amusing and annoying at the same time.

Why they bother doing broadcasts there,I find it funny.

last week BBC Breakfast were sited there for the whole show,and so was he.Half singing,Half shouting.

Does it matter if they are there or not.

My Mrs said it sounds like our house in the morning except he is more mature!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1