Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

It's a simple fact that CM 2.0 would involve us Leaving the EU, not Remaining members of it. 

I get it that you don't like that particular form of Leaving - I can't say that I'm happy about such an outcome myself.

You have your own definition of Brexit. But that definition wasn't on the ballot paper. No definition was. All that was on the ballot paper was Leave/Remain - and CM 2.0 or CU would involve Leaving, not Remaining.

One thing is pretty clear: whatever the outcome, most people are going to be unhappy with it.....though the chances are still quite high, I think, of you getting your No Deal dream in 11 days....

No deal would be ok (in my opinion) if we were prepared for it, it’s not going to be a pretty few years without a plan of how we soften the damage. Dead ends everywhere at the minute, I can’t see a viable option without a change in the parliamentary arithmetic or a referendum. 

I genuinely don’t think CM 2.0 is a valid option though Alf, it’s worse than remain and it’s worse than an orderly no deal.

Apparently an unusually long political cabinet meeting is scheduled for tomorrow, before normal cabinet.

I wonder what the aim of that is? To call a general election?

To seek a national unity coalition to agree a solution and bind everyone in (highly unlikely)?

To bring back May's Deal and squeeze it through by some dodgy means.......probably that, isn't it?! :D

30 minutes ago, Strokes said:

No deal would be ok (in my opinion) if we were prepared for it, it’s not going to be a pretty few years without a plan of how we soften the damage. Dead ends everywhere at the minute, I can’t see a viable option without a change in the parliamentary arithmetic or a referendum. 

I genuinely don’t think CM 2.0 is a valid option though Alf, it’s worse than remain and it’s worse than an orderly no deal.

Straight EFTA/EEA membership in my eyes is a vast upgrade on EU membership, adding a transitional customs union makes it less appealing, but providing it is just transitional, I could happily get behind it.

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Good on Nick Boles 

All a bit drama queen though wasn't it? 

Shouldn't make decisions like that in the heat of the moment but I imagine he knows he's a goner from his local association anyway, doubt they are up for FoM as much as he is

Hopefully he'll call a by-election.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

All a bit drama queen though wasn't it? 

Shouldn't make decisions like that in the heat of the moment but I imagine he knows he's a goner from his local association anyway, doubt they are up for FoM as much as he is

Hopefully he'll call a by-election.

Suspect he was decided he'd do that all day if Conservative MPs continued to vote against everything.

• Like 1

Whatever they end up agreeing on, it'll come back to the people for a vote.  It gains more and more momentum.

When debating this earlier, the argument for the vote coming back would be a more concrete option once we know what we're heading towards.  Having it as an option at this stage is a little odd, since it's unclear as to how it would be put together.  It's certainly gaining a force though and I think it's required once we get to some sort of consensus which is looking further and further away from what everyone wanted/voted for 3 years ago.

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Beechey said:

Point out which party is the problem:

image.thumb.png.23450d53375858c74c08375ca55f6304.png

That's hardly surprising though given the speaker selected four Remain/Soft Brexit options.

2 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Point out which party is the problem:

image.thumb.png.23450d53375858c74c08375ca55f6304.png

What's the difference between this and Labour voting against May's deal THREE times?

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

That's hardly surprising though given the speaker selected four Remain/Soft Brexit options.

But then consider the first set of votes. Sizeable chunks of the Conservative Party are willing to budge at all. 157 Conservative MPs voted for no deal, 60 for EFTA/EEA. What do they want?

image.png

Edited by Beechey

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

What's the difference between this and Labour voting against May's deal THREE times?

... nothing. Which is good because that's not even remotely close to an argument I'm making. If anything, it reinforces my point. MPs need to shift their own red lines or we are going to get absolutely nowhere.