Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vardinio'sCat

Good article from Rob Tanner

I thought this article did better than almost anything I have read so far, to sum up where we are.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fan-unrest-claude-puel-player-2545294

I thought this bit was interesting, because it implies my reading of 'K***h**d-gate' was about right.

'Puel said he wanted to give others an opportunity, but the real reason was the boss was demonstrating his authority.

Whether the comments Vardy was caught making on camera at the end of the Manchester United game were directed towards Puel, only Vardy would truly know, but if Puel believed there was even a hint that they were he would have felt he had no choice but to show his authority should not be challenged, although he must have known he was cutting his nose off to spite his face by leaving out his best striker.'

• Like 2

Doesn't say much that hasn't been said on here in one form or another by those for or against Puel or just stuck in the middle.

He just put it altogether in one article.

If the fans are misinterpreting what he means when responding to media questions maybe they should clarify rather than feeling the need to make headlines that they know will be controversial just to get extra clicks on their website.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Doesn't say much that hasn't been said on here in one form or another by those for or against Puel or just stuck in the middle.

He just put it altogether in one article.

If the fans are misinterpreting what he means when responding to media questions maybe they should clarify rather than feeling the need to make headlines that they know will be controversial just to get extra clicks on their website.

I agree most of it is just an up to date summary of where we are, but the bit about Vardy was the best confirmation I've seen, that the 'experiment' was just a diplomatic way of keeping things behind closed doors.

On reflection, I could have left 'good' out of the thread title, just to save myself from having to defend it! :D

1 minute ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

I agree most of it is just an up to date summary of where we are, but the bit about Vardy was the best confirmation I've seen, that the 'experiment' was just a diplomatic way of keeping things behind closed doors.

On reflection, I could have left 'good' out of the thread title, just to save myself from having to defend it! :D

Does he actually know about Vardy as a fact or is he just speculating?

Puel said he wanted to give others an opportunity, but the real reason was the boss was demonstrating his authority.

Whether the comments Vardy was caught making on camera at the end of the Manchester United game were directed towards Puel, only Vardy would truly know, but if Puel believed there was even a hint that they were he would have felt he had no choice but to show his authority should not be challenged, although he must have known he was cutting his nose off to spite his face by leaving out his best striker.

The first line he's stating it as fact, the second para sounds like he's speculating.

Are we to believe that either Puel or Vardy told him the actuality?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

sorry but Why??  He's just gathered all the silly rumours together,put them in a position for appropiation,made fiction into part facts and let all,Eastender-fans

Make up the rest....It's fits people's easy scenario,let them ride with it..!!

I thought there was some rumor busting in there, and some attempt at balance.

Wading into the trenches on Puel wasn't really my intention. I saw the piece, was reasonably impressed, and thought it was worth a read.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

Does he actually know about Vardy as a fact or is he just speculating?

Puel said he wanted to give others an opportunity, but the real reason was the boss was demonstrating his authority.

Whether the comments Vardy was caught making on camera at the end of the Manchester United game were directed towards Puel, only Vardy would truly know, but if Puel believed there was even a hint that they were he would have felt he had no choice but to show his authority should not be challenged, although he must have known he was cutting his nose off to spite his face by leaving out his best striker.

The first line he's stating it as fact, the second para sounds like he's speculating.

Are we to believe that either Puel or Vardy told him the actuality?

Surely Puel would have been forced to ask about it? Unless Vardy got on the front foot by initiating a discussion or making an apology. Tbf, I don't know, I'm just trying to work with the limited info we have.

I think you are right about which bit Tanner is confident about (ie the first bit). He clearly doesn't have any detail on what they said to each other, or even if they spoke about it.

The last bit also rings true, the 'cutting of his nose to spite his face' bit. We could all see it hurt us against Spurs, and I'm sure CP was no exception to that, no matter what he said in public.

3 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Surely Puel would have been forced to ask about it? Unless Vardy got on the front foot by initiating a discussion or making an apology. Tbf, I don't know, I'm just trying to work with the limited info we have.

I think you are right about which bit Tanner is confident about (ie the first bit). He clearly doesn't have any detail on what they said to each other, or even if they spoke about it.

The last bit also rings true, the 'cutting of his nose to spite his face' bit. We could all see it hurt us against Spurs, and I'm sure CP was no exception to that, no matter what he said in public.

Well I guess we don't know but I'd be surprised considering Puel had already given his reasoning why he would then tell Tanner a different reason.

The bit about cutting off the nose etc to me is just story telling and subtly anit-Puel, Plenty of managers have dropped key players for all sorts of reasons but I doubt many were said to be cutting their nose off. This Tanner stirring it up to enhance his editorial and at best is just speculating.

But then it could just be my bias because I often read his stuff and feel he's stirring it just to get a story from nothing and in that way is no better than all the other click baiting football newshounds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

I thought there was some rumor busting in there, and some attempt at balance.

Wading into the trenches on Puel wasn't really my intention. I saw the piece, was reasonably impressed, and thought it was worth a read.

In the piece you quoted, Tanner was quite clearly guessing at what happened. 

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Well I guess we don't know but I'd be surprised considering Puel had already given his reasoning why he would then tell Tanner a different reason.

The bit about cutting off the nose etc to me is just story telling and subtly anit-Puel, Plenty of managers have dropped key players for all sorts of reasons but I doubt many were said to be cutting their nose off. This Tanner stirring it up to enhance his editorial and at best is just speculating.

But then it could just be my bias because I often read his stuff and feel he's stirring it just to get a story from nothing and in that way is no better than all the other click baiting football newshounds.

I suppose the bit about it being about Puel showing who is in charge could have come from elsewhere.

I'm probably not qualified to say that much about Tanner's output over the long term, maybe that is why I didn't read the last bit in the same way at all. 

42 minutes ago, Langston said:

In the piece you quoted, Tanner was quite clearly guessing at what happened. 

The first sentance is reported as fact, and in the following paragraph Tanner literally tells you he doesn't know what has gone on between CP and Vards.

So your problem is?

33 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

The first sentance is reported as fact, and in the following paragraph Tanner literally tells you he doesn't know what has gone on between CP and Vards.

So your problem is?

It's what this forum..and other football forums posters do,they basically copy journalist ideas on insinuation and inclination,that then they  feed off each other,

where nonsense scripts suddenly after a few months,become next year's lies made out to be fact...

Then suddenly..the easy afflicted then make up agendas on half-truths,or down right sht-stirring...

(I am not meaning you)

It amazes me how so called,clever individuals jump all over fisherwives tails, and spring even higher to use unconfirmed tittle-tattle,to build up their own agenda,on a bloody football-forum...

If it was political,.. it borders on indoctrined propaganda...And goes far OTT and too serious for sporting-forums...

This forum has this season ,got a little obnoxious and irritating,when witch-hunting players/manager and stories made up around them!!!

Edited by fuchsntf

I’m bored of reading about his youth development.  I’ll give him Chilwell although he clearly isn’t working on his final ball execution or right foot.  Iheanacho is young. What’s he done with him?  Same for Gray who appears to be regressing if anything. And is he only able to improve young players?  A good coach can tweak anyone’s game and improve them. Even old dogs learn new tricks. 

I just don’t buy this bloke 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

I remember the days when i could click on an article on Leicester Mercury without being asked how long it was since i watched a movie at the cinemas or which one of the osmonds was my favourite.

They're not a charity. If you don't want that, buy a newspaper instead?

14 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Tanners booting out a lot of click bait style articles these days. Hate how online journalism is heading towards that way of attracting clicks with snappy titles rather than with content

Wouldn't lay the blame at his door too much. It's a strategy that's come from above anyone at the Mercury in the company that owns them. The problem is enough people do click, especially when it comes to football...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLAN said:

I’m bored of reading about his youth development.  I’ll give him Chilwell although he clearly isn’t working on his final ball execution or right foot.  Iheanacho is young. What’s he done with him?  Same for Gray who appears to be regressing if anything. And is he only able to improve young players?  A good coach can tweak anyone’s game and improve them. Even old dogs learn new tricks. 

I just don’t buy this bloke 

He provides a platform for young players to progress, the issue in this country in general at the moment is the lack of game time afforded to young talent. There is so much pressure from owners and fans for instant results and success and also from a money side of things, that many managers just want ready made players and won't put their trust in youngsters.

Amazing coach, no. Brave enough to take on established cliques and brave enough to push young players to the front of the queue, yes. Lets not try and take away from him what he obviously is doing here.

• Like 4

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes. We need to perform better against the teams outside the top 6, especially at home, if we're still struggling to get points in those types games with the amount of ability we've got in our squad now, he'll probably be packing his bags.