Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcfcOk

The gym

6 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

I'm grotesquely unfit and would absolutely love to join a gym, but i have a disability which makes me massively self conscious at the best of times. I don't suppose there are any PT's in this thread are there?

Just wondering if there are any ways i could exercise at home using household items that could replicate gym equipment (obviously i know they wouldn't have anywhere near the same effect as using proper gym equipment and machines)

I get plenty of exercise by walking my dog twice a day and i recently started jogging up and down the stairs. 

The fitness problems mostly stem from my disability (Cerebral Palsy) so i need exercises that can help build up the strength in my legs. Any suggestions?

I can't offer much advice in terms of what to try at home etc

But I just wanted to add in that whilst there will always be a handful of dickheads at the gym, the vast majority would never 'judge' another gym goer. Everyone starts at one place or another, the fact you're there and trying is more than a lot of people can say. 

Whilst on a different level I'm majorly  self conscious about my body, I'm  skinny and can never seem to put on much weight. An ex from a fair few years ago jabbed comments at how skinny or "twig like" I was and it still sits with me. If I've been doing something wrong I've had a few people come over and correct me and show me how I should be doing it, a lot of people are extremely helpful.

You could try a PT session with a PT with a private gym or during the "off peak" hours where fewer people go. 

Best of luck anyhow!

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Look for some second hand weights, things like that people a practically giving them away.

I've built up a bit of a gym in an outbuilding at home mainly getting stuff from eBay and massive warehouses full of ex-gym equipment over the last 4 years or so....

For about £400 I've built up:

Dumbbells (Rubber Coated) but each pair are different makes 2x:10KG; 12KG; 14KG; 25KG and a shitty stand to keep them from rusting

(Commercial Standard) Olympic Bench and Barbell and 130KG of Olympic Rubber Coated Weight Plates (Random Makes)

Lat Pull Down Machine (Home quality but with Olympic Converters)

Chin Up and Dip Station

Swiss Ball

25KG Sand Bag with various handles

Swiss Ball

2 x16KG Kettle Bells

20 KG Slam Ball

Floor to ceiling punch ball

TRX Hanging Resistance Straps

Proper Leather Everlast Heavy Bag 

You can do just about most things with that lot of equipment - the only thing I'd really like is a Smith Machine/Squat Rack or dual Cable Pull but at some point 'I have to stop buying equipment' apparently.

31 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

I'm grotesquely unfit and would absolutely love to join a gym, but i have a disability which makes me massively self conscious at the best of times. I don't suppose there are any PT's in this thread are there?

Just wondering if there are any ways i could exercise at home using household items that could replicate gym equipment (obviously i know they wouldn't have anywhere near the same effect as using proper gym equipment and machines)

I get plenty of exercise by walking my dog twice a day and i recently started jogging up and down the stairs. 

The fitness problems mostly stem from my disability (Cerebral Palsy) so i need exercises that can help build up the strength in my legs. Any suggestions?

So for leg strengthening as a starter for ten I'd recommend doing squats - no weight to start with...

After you've warmed up (after taking the dog out perhaps) find a space, feet shoulder width apart and arms outstretched parallel with the ground, squat down bending at the knee, keeping back straight till bumb and upper legs are parallel with the floor. 

For week 1, body allowing, try doing four or five sets of ten squats (each day or every other day) with some rest intervals of a minute (Maybe more if needed - sometimes I do press ups at work every few hours throughout the day) or so between each to get your breath. 

The above is just a starting place but not knowing much about your current leg strength in relation to your disability, please - take it slow, get medical advice before starting and take rest days if doing squats leaves you really stiff the next day. 

1 hour ago, TiffToff88 said:

i can recommend my PT - lovely bloke, will help find you exercise to suit your abilities. His consultation is free - no harm in going along and having a chat / trying a few exercises. 

hit me up on PM if you want his deets. 

4 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for, mate?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just about to complete 12 days in Ibiza, been to the gym on 10 of them, only missed the two days the gym was closed.

In the best shape of my life. And a tan helps too!

Not totally comfortable with my body - some loose skin from the big weight loss many years ago etc - but feel a lot better mentally around a pool on holiday these days.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Just about to complete 12 days in Ibiza, been to the gym on 10 of them, only missed the two days the gym was closed.

In the best shape of my life. And a tan helps too!

Not totally comfortable with my body - some loose skin from the big weight loss many years ago etc - but feel a lot better mentally around a pool on holiday these days.

Fair dedication that, espescially when your nights were consisting of letting loose at Es Paradis and rockin it with the Judge!

• 3 weeks later...

A bit off topic but recently the Mrs gave me a Fitbit that she wasn't using anymore. I was a bit skeptical of these kind of things but I've had it on for about week and it's actually gathering some interesting information. My one is only the basic one from a couple of years ago, it does steps, calories, distance walked and time exercised, along with sleep at night. 

It's actually really good having a target and your activity tracked, and the sleep function is strangely accurate. 

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, SystonFox said:

Went gym this morning for the first time in ages. Up at 5 to get in there for 6. Amazed at how good I’ve felt all day due to an hour workout.

pureGym Loughborough. Tidy place

Nice one mate :thumbup:

My local gym changed recently from DW to Pure Gym and I'm well impressed with it. At only £10.99 a month for the first 12 months it's an absolute bargain IMO

On 03/01/2020 at 23:28, SystonFox said:

Went gym this morning for the first time in ages. Up at 5 to get in there for 6. Amazed at how good I’ve felt all day due to an hour workout.

pureGym Loughborough. Tidy place

Yeah I used the Loughborough PureGym over the Christmas holidays while my regular one was closed. Great place, and loads of equipment (I like that it has dumbells up to 50kg). Only downside is it's absolutely rammed at peak times. 

On 19/02/2019 at 20:32, Izzy said:

I've finally accepted that I'll always be a lightweight however much I lift, but at 45 I'm probably in the best shape I've been since my late teens. 

I'm pretty proud of my definition now and my body fat % is very low. I just don't eat enough to put on proper muscle mass.

There's plenty of young posers at my gym and they make me smile, bless em. Good for them I say and I'd rather my kids are down the gym at 20 instead of being on the piss or hanging about on street corners.  

Loads of fit tottie there too so the eye candy is always a brucie bonus.

Fit tottie you say Izzy....where is this heavenly place???

I feel a near 50 bronzed Adonis should grace this place ..with my dodgy shoulder and all that!!!!

• Haha 1

On 26/06/2019 at 13:13, TiffToff88 said:

I don't like going to the big gyms either mate. Not sure if this is an option for you but near where I live the local secondary school has a really well-equipped gym which is open to the public in the evenings. It's all very low key. The great thing is that it's literally never that busy and you don't get your gym freaks because it's not full of mirrors and all that shite. Might be worth seeing if there's something similar near you?

Edited by Paddy.

It's a shame that there aren't more medium priced gyms. PureGym and The Gym are so well priced that they're crazily busy.

It's either those or paying £65 p/m for Nuffield Health where I am though, which is just mental. I'd happily pay £25-30 if it meant you didn't have to wait around for weights/machines.

Haven't been to the gym since I can back from holiday (September). I've just had absolutely zero interest in going. Before holiday I was going 4/5 times a week, really enjoying it, decent planned exercises for different muscle groups and a good bit of cardio. 

I think it's just the fact that I have nothing to work towards, in the run up to holiday I knew I was gunna be shirts off for 2 weeks and it was something to focus on. Now getting up at 6am in the pitch black and going for pretty much no reason as I'll be covered up for months to come really doesn't appeal to me. Planning on doing the Leicester 10K with some of the UFS lads so hopefully that gets me back into it soon. 

30 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Haven't been to the gym since I can back from holiday (September). I've just had absolutely zero interest in going. Before holiday I was going 4/5 times a week, really enjoying it, decent planned exercises for different muscle groups and a good bit of cardio. 

I think it's just the fact that I have nothing to work towards, in the run up to holiday I knew I was gunna be shirts off for 2 weeks and it was something to focus on. Now getting up at 6am in the pitch black and going for pretty much no reason as I'll be covered up for months to come really doesn't appeal to me. Planning on doing the Leicester 10K with some of the UFS lads so hopefully that gets me back into it soon. 

I got like that back end of last year. New job, fell out the routine and have really struggled to get back into the swing of it. Clothes are getting tight though so I need to get back into it. Weighed myself this morning, and it wasn't good. It's been worse, much worse, but it still wasn't good.

51 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I got like that back end of last year. New job, fell out the routine and have really struggled to get back into the swing of it. Clothes are getting tight though so I need to get back into it. Weighed myself this morning, and it wasn't good. It's been worse, much worse, but it still wasn't good.

I kept the weight off alright as I went vegan for a bit but I can tell I've lost a lot of the strength that I took a while to build up. 

Just gunna have to bite the bullet at some point and set the early alarm again  

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I kept the weight off alright as I went vegan for a bit but I can tell I've lost a lot of the strength that I took a while to build up. 

Just gunna have to bite the bullet at some point and set the early alarm again  

I was keeping it off until, and I know its cliched but Christmas week, and I've just eaten shit and done **** all.

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I’ve literally completely fallen off the wagon, I’m drinking and smoking again doing no exercise at all and getting fat.

I need to refocus and discipline myself, I could run a half marathon at the drop of a hat 12 months ago. I can barely run up the stairs again now.

• Sad 1