Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcfcOk

The gym

42 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Beat my PB for doing the Plank earlier, 5 mins 28 secs - not bad for an old fvcker :D

I might not be able to lift heavy weights but I’m a pretty decent planker. That’s PLanker :thumbup:

Shit that’s madness mate, well done.

I’m a crap planker (difficult to believe I know) and can’t lift heavy weights lol 

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

I can’t say I track them like you’ve said, might sound like an idea. Are there apps for this? Seems a good shout mate.

myfitnesspal really easy to use, just scan the bar code and weigh your food mate.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Trying to bulk up a bit but tone the waistline at the same time

Tricky

Lift weights with a full body workout 3x a week. Track your calories and eat nutrient dense whole foods. It will fly off. Don't need too spend hours on a treadmill ;)

Edited by Ollie93
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

Lift weights with a full body workout 3x a week. Track your calories and eat nutrient dense whole foods. It will fly off. Don't need too spend hours on a treadmill ;)

Thanks mate. Been adding a 5k run to every workout I've done and it's worked to a degree but too tricky to balance both.

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Thanks mate. Been adding a 5k run to every workout I've done and it's worked to a degree but too tricky to balance both.

Absolutely. End of the day just do what you enjoy.But doing a 5k after every workout, youll just burn out. Slow and steady, track your calories, reduce them slowly and youll be able too keep going and not 'crash'.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Finding it really hard to put weight on at the moment. Besides from eating more, how do people do it? I must be consuming 2500 Ish calories but still not putting much on

I’m the total opposite, eating 1500 calories daily during the week and no more than about 2300 daily at weekends, yet struggle to lose weight lol 

My job involves walking around and lifting things for eight hours a day as well so it’s not like I’m not exercising either!

17 minutes ago, BroughtonFox said:

I’m the total opposite, eating 1500 calories daily during the week and no more than about 2300 daily at weekends, yet struggle to lose weight lol 

My job involves walking around and lifting things for eight hours a day as well so it’s not like I’m not exercising either!

That’s crazy. I’m convinced that if I ate 1500 calories I’d shred fat, guess it’s just to do with genetics and metabolism. 

22 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Finding it really hard to put weight on at the moment. Besides from eating more, how do people do it? I must be consuming 2500 Ish calories but still not putting much on

I also have that struggle.

I tried with high calorie shakes but I found myself missing out at meal times as I was too bloated. I've finally started putting some proper weight on by doing heavy weights whenever I go (variating between deadlift, squats & chest press) and having an extra meal (normally pasta) in the afternoon.

• Like 2

I’ve lost over half a stone since turn of the year eating “better” (cutting Tesco meal deals at work, stopping and buying a Costa at every petrol pump etc) and 4 gym workouts a week. 

really loving the gym at the minute although the last two weeks it’s got busier at all times of day. 100 people in there at 6am this morning! Brutal

1 hour ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

That’s crazy. I’m convinced that if I ate 1500 calories I’d shred fat, guess it’s just to do with genetics and metabolism. 

When I say I haven’t lost anything I’ve lost 5lbs since the start of January. I just don’t feel like I’ve lost anything yet. Eating only 1500 calories during the week and ignoring my hunger I thought it may chop the pounds off a bit quicker. Maybe the beer doesn’t help on Saturdays mind lol 

ah well just got to keep on going I suppose.

Edited by BroughtonFox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BroughtonFox said:

When I say I haven’t lost anything I’ve lost 5lbs since the start of January. I just don’t feel like I’ve lost anything yet. Eating only 1500 calories during the week and ignoring my hunger I thought it may chop the pounds off a bit quicker. Maybe the beer doesn’t help on Saturdays mind lol 

ah well just got to keep on going I suppose.

You will find that some weeks you lose loads and other you put a lb or two on so I wouldn’t worry too much. If you keep at 1500 per day you will lose weight.

14 hours ago, BroughtonFox said:

Can I ask how you came to the conclusion you need 1500 cals to lose weight? That seems very low?

Like I said to @Matt_Lcfc do you actually know how many cals your body requires? Have you honestly tracked and weighed consistently? Do you track your steps?

Unless you're a 50kg female, id suggest 1500 is too low and you're not going too stick with it in the long run. 

19 hours ago, Ollie93 said:

By 3x full body workout do you mean one day of chest/shoulders, one day of back/biceps and one day of legs? Excuse my poor gym knowledge lol

12 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

By 3x full body workout do you mean one day of chest/shoulders, one day of back/biceps and one day of legs? Excuse my poor gym knowledge lol

Not really, I'd say for most beginners of say '3 years consistently lifting' or under, full body is the way to go, as you don't need as much stimulus on the muscle. 1 x squat variant (leg press, squat, hack squat), 1 x horizontal push (bench pres, DB press), 1 x horizontal pull (bb row, chest supported row). 1 x vertical press (military press, db overhead press, landmine press), 1 x vertical pull (pull ups, lat pull downs). 3 sets of each too start and take it from there :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ollie93 said:

Can I ask how you came to the conclusion you need 1500 cals to lose weight? That seems very low?

Like I said to @Matt_Lcfc do you actually know how many cals your body requires? Have you honestly tracked and weighed consistently? Do you track your steps?

Unless you're a 50kg female, id suggest 1500 is too low and you're not going too stick with it in the long run. 

Following on from what you have written here - Anyone looking to lose or gain weight should spend at the very least working out what I've highlighted in bold above. You should eat in what's called a maintenance. The require calories to sustain your current weight. From then onwards I'd advise adding or taking off 50cals per week, depending on your goals. This is a steady and healthy way managing your weight. This way it's also easy to manage. If your energy levels become particuarly low, you can slowly increase your calories. 

Gaining weight has never been too much of a problem for me but I can speak from experience regarding cutting weight and maintaining for weight lifting competitions. Being in a calorie deficit isn't fun and is hard work but you also want to make it sustainable. These crash diets, silly shakes and herbal teas are a load of bollocks. Avoid at all costs. Weight loss or gain is just simple maths. You can jump in even deeper regarding macro nutrients once you understand the basics of calories.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, BroughtonFox said:

So how do you actually work out how much calories you need to sustain/lose weight? 

https://tdeecalculator.net

Use this and then track calories and adjust accordingly if you are not losing/gaining (depending on what you are trying to achieve),

Solid advise from @Ollie93 and @leicesterlad1989 in this thread. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BroughtonFox said:

So how do you actually work out how much calories you need to sustain/lose weight? 

Burn Off ,more than you eat...:)

Laid back excersising  :Cycling ,some easy Country walks, swimming & Water gymnastics. All Things you can do & Plan  yourself...in your own time.No contracts..

@Unabomber  Calculator,idea  helps...

19 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I really need to start eating healthier. Grabbed some salad, fruit, chicken and veg this morning. I'd like to lose half an inch off my waist, but I don't really go to the gym or anything so it's tough.

A simple way would be to cut back gradually on the bad food that you eat. If you have two takeaways a week, just have the one. If you drink twice a week, just drink the once. Also look at healthier alternatives. If you drink full fat coke, have diet. Simple things like that. Similar to crash diets, if you cut out all the nice foods that you like, it becomes easier to completely fall off the wagon. I think the technical term is 'flexible dieting.' As soon as you see results, it becomes a habit. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

Following on from what you have written here - Anyone looking to lose or gain weight should spend at the very least working out what I've highlighted in bold above. You should eat in what's called a maintenance. The require calories to sustain your current weight. From then onwards I'd advise adding or taking off 50cals per week, depending on your goals. This is a steady and healthy way managing your weight. This way it's also easy to manage. If your energy levels become particuarly low, you can slowly increase your calories. 

Gaining weight has never been too much of a problem for me but I can speak from experience regarding cutting weight and maintaining for weight lifting competitions. Being in a calorie deficit isn't fun and is hard work but you also want to make it sustainable. These crash diets, silly shakes and herbal teas are a load of bollocks. Avoid at all costs. Weight loss or gain is just simple maths. You can jump in even deeper regarding macro nutrients once you understand the basics of calories.

Couldn't agree more. Losing/gaining weight just requires patience. 

39 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I really need to start eating healthier. Grabbed some salad, fruit, chicken and veg this morning. I'd like to lose half an inch off my waist, but I don't really go to the gym or anything so it's tough.

Agree with @leicesterlad1989. Do you track your steps? Every smart phone has a step counter, just have a look what you average a week, add 1000 and stick too that. Then add another 1000 etc. Soon fall off.

However, worth noting that just because you eat 'healthy', doesn't mean you'll lose weight. E.g. a ceasar salad from Tesco can have more calories than a mars bar.

In simple to lose weight: Calories in < Calories out.

To gain weight Calories in > Calories out.

Edited by Ollie93

14 minutes ago, woznotwos said:

Anyone else into calisthenics ? Just trying to branch out into something more interesting 

Loved it and got hooked then ended up tearing two tendons in my shoulder and had 5 months off work and a nice big scar.

School of callesentics- Google it.

BUT take it easy

• Sad 1