Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcfcOk

The gym

10 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Seemingly out of nowhere I ran 7.2k on Friday without stopping (4.5 miles - running at a steady 10k per hour pace) and the mental boost was massive.

Went to the gym yesterday, was knackered after 3 miles so walked for two minutes, then somehow managed to run another 2 miles.

(PS I appreciate to a lot of people these distances are pretty poxy)

I can bound about in a hardcore HIIT or circuit class for an hour or more happily, but when it comes to running I don't have the ability to do it, mentally nor physically.

My hips start screaming within about 10 minutes, then my knees. I'm in my early 30s so not over the hill, but my body just doesn't seem up for it. I also find it incredibly boring. Treadmills are the worst. 

I have great admiration for people who can run long distances and actually enjoy it.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

Been going on and off for a number of years, sometimes I completely fall off going at all but when I feel bad I'll get back into it.

Focus for the past 4 months has been losing weight at a steady and healthy rate whilst trying to maintain muscle, I've lost a stone and half and looking more defined for doing so. Usually get into the gym around 7:30 pm and there until 9:30pm doing a focused muscle group workout and with HIIT cardio for 20 minutes, I go 4 times a week and eat reasonably well. Pay £30 a month and I can't complain, could be more equipment but I suppose every gym can be accused of that.

As others have said, get yourself into a routine and my other advice is freshen things up to prolong your interest, whether that's a new workout, new routine or even new gym gear (as daft as it sounds that can get me motivated to go). When you start seeing results you'll be hooked. My other bit of advice to anyone is don't get stuck in a cycle of "3 sets of 12 reps"... it's not the most effective and I've had way better results by going to the likes of 4 sets of 8 reps or 3 sets of 10. Key is to experiment and don't be afraid to adapt.

• Like 1

@Vacamion You've done a great job. 

Don't worry too much about weight machines. Don't shy away from asking others in the gym. It's not really that hard to Learn and in about 2 weeks you would learn everything you need easily. Or you can just use YouTube. There are plenty of exercises videos out there and the instructions are top notch.

Keep it up, Mate:thumbup:

Edited by the fox
  • Like 1

Joined a new gym when I moved back down here full time. Pretty good, it's part of a group that lets me access 5 or 6 places across town under 1 membership which keeps things fresh. 

Only gripe I have is I can never get on a squat rack. Hordes of people stood around not actually lifting, just chatting away or doing exercises in front of a rack that you could do anywhere else (lateral raises don't require a squat rack ffs). I go early ish in the morning and everyone seems to know each other, it's like you have to be part of some kind of syndicate to get on a rack :dry: 

19 hours ago, Vacamion said:

To 'firm up", I probably now need to start on the weights machines, too, but I have no clue how to use these (I've only ever done free weights) and I have not yet got my arse in gear to ask for an induction class. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the machines as they tend to target really specific muscle groups. If you're looking to burn fat then big lifts like deadlifts, squats and bench presses would be the best place to start is my experience (happy to be corrected by anyone that is actually in some way qualified lol

• Like 2

As above you are best off doing the big moves which use more muscles in each lift than a machine which kind of isolates a set body part.

I'm having to do more cardio recently as I've signed up for the Yorkshire 3 peaks in June. 

I get to the gym 4/5 times a week and enjoy it but will probably find it hard to train for a 25 mile hill walk if I'm honest!

• Like 1

I go 4-5 times a week, three weights session targeting muscle groups, yoga once a week and if i go a 5th time, 10k bike ride whilst watching tv.

Had no idea about anything when i first started going to the gym around 10 years ago, but it's so easy to pick up tips and hints on new exercises just be watching what other people are doing, if you like me are too shy to ask. I probably change my routines once a fortnight just by looking at what other people are doing with the equipment and copying them.

Failing that, Google is incredible for anything gym related if you are uncertain.

I wouldn’t really worry about how to use the machines. Most have a step by step method written on them. At the end of the day don’t worry about doing it perfect necessarily, obviously do it right but at the end of the day it’ll help your body as you are putting strain on it. Just be careful about injuries.

ask the regulars too, most will be happy to help. Also just search on the internet eg “shoulder press method”

plenty of workouts you can do with dumbbells, feel free to message me if you want some help :thumbup:

• 2 months later...
On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 13:39, Vacamion said:

I've always been a big lad (as a younger man, I was a tight head prop) but last August, I flabbed my way up to 19 stone, and I couldn't do up some of my work shirts.

I went on a diet, I cut out crips, biscuits etc, and I started off doing 3 x 5km runs a week on a treadmill at home.

I also started intermittent fasting - during the working week, I now have nothing to eat between teatime and lunch the next day. 

In February this year, I joined a gym for the first time in my life and have been going at least 4 times a week.  £24 a month doesn't seem too bad. 

In the week, mostly starting at about 0630, I do a 30 mins treadmill 5k, a 20 minutes bike 10k with top incline intervals, and a 10 minute cool down on the rowing machine 2k.

I also do a bit more running at weekends, going outside, I'm up to 9 miles and, if it all stays in the right place, I hope to do my first half marathon in May. 

I'm down to 15 stone,  my clothes are now hanging off me and, whilst I'm still a tubby biffer, I've discovered that I might actually have cheekbones.  

I reckon I should stick at it until I'm down to 12 or 13 stone. 

Then I am going to have a day in at home, on my own, just eating chocolate hobnob after chocolate hobnob, before starting again :P

To 'firm up", I probably now need to start on the weights machines, too, but I have no clue how to use these (I've only ever done free weights) and I have not yet got my arse in gear to ask for an induction class. 

So far, I'm really loving the gym. 

Sounds like you are doing great.  I have probably had an equal but opposite story to you.  Always been skinny and never been able to gain weight.  Never been one for gyms or heavy excercise but I do eat well and walk everywhere so have a pretty good level of general fitness.  As I am starting to get to that age where you can't just rely on youth (38) I started going to the gym a year or so ago and have really actually enjoyed it.  I currently go to the gym three days a week and do three days running (between 5k and 10K) inbetween.  Have also started time restricted eating in conjunction.

I am really enjoying the gym too.  I do not write any of this in a "I know what I am talking about" way but just good to share experiences.  I don't really know anything other than what personally works and does not work for me.  I tried loads of different "routines" when I first started (3 Day Split, 5 day Splits, Push Pull Legs, etc) and probably wasted my first 6 months fannying about with very little results.  It is easy to put yourself off doing anything when you start..  I honestly think consistency is the key to getting into shape.  My current routine is three full body weights/resistance sessions a week (Mon-Wed-Fri) with running in between.  I am still fairly skinny and will never be "hench" but definitely put on some muscle mass.  I think exercise is about sustainabilty and I found some of the more intense workout splits just made me want to give up.  I like a 3 day fully body routine as even if I miss a day I know it doesn't set my whole week off course and I can just do it the next day.

Again, I am not an expert but it's good for none "natural gym people" who go to the gym to share experiences so this is roughly what I do three times a week....

Squats/Bulgarian Squats

Pull Ups

Bench/Press Up Variations

Rows

Deadlift/Romanian

Dips

And then some accessory core and shoulder exercises.  I like to mix weights and bodyweight stuff so I mix up bench and press ups and rowing weigths and just pulling myself up to a bar.  I also squat quite light (kettlebells) but high-ish reps as I don't like using the bar for proper heavy back squats and find it pontless forcing myself to do things I don't like as I think exercise is about removing excuses not to do it.  I also like to do as much dumbell rather than barbell as I can when bench pressing as I like to work both arms independently of each other.

It takes me about an hour in total and is hard but never SO hard that I just skive off.  Anyway, that's my two pence worth.  I can honestly see me doing this forever (I will modify days, specific routines I am sure) as it is something which is sustainable and not too scary.  

I know I need to improve on two main areas really...

Doing some higher intensity cardio

Core/Abs Work

Will try and improve these in the coming weeks/months.  I also probably need to push myself harder and go heavier sometimes but going at all is better than nothing.

X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 3

Nice one @RumbleFox :thumbup:

Like you, I'm a skinny chap and struggle to put weight on as I just can't get enough food in me. After doing weights for the last 12 months I've now settled on a regular weekly routine that works for me. Gradually upping the weights and feeling fit and strong but will never be "Hench" as you say.

Recently I've been trying to improve my stamina and starting running on the treadmill. Averaging about 30 mins for 5km but find it a bit boring tbh. Then last month I discovered the "STAIR-MASTER" machine and I love it. I'm up to 40 mins on it doing 3,500 steps (220 floors) but burn over 500 calories doing it!

Also I get a great view of the gym from up there and enjoy 'people' watching so think I've found my new favorite piece of equipment :) 

• Like 1

On 09/04/2019 at 03:32, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Had a couple of holidays this year so got my focus back for looking reasonable-ish around the pool.

I still don't actively "enjoy" the gym, it's a necessary evil to keep my weight down, along with not eating so much junk.

Managed to run 5k on the treadmill without stopping on three successive days last month, that gave me a boost.

Seemingly out of nowhere I ran 7.2k on Friday without stopping (4.5 miles - running at a steady 10k per hour pace) and the mental boost was massive.

Went to the gym yesterday, was knackered after 3 miles so walked for two minutes, then somehow managed to run another 2 miles.

This is huge for me. I've never been a runner. I'm not sure I even like it.

However, it's given me such a buzz to be able to do something like this, to progress from where I was even at the start of this year.

(PS I appreciate to a lot of people these distances are pretty poxy)

Starting again is the hardest part.

Always go by the philosophy that doing something (anything) is better than nothing no matter how little or for how long. 

Keep going.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Nice one @RumbleFox :thumbup:

Like you, I'm a skinny chap and struggle to put weight on as I just can't get enough food in me. After doing weights for the last 12 months I've now settled on a regular weekly routine that works for me. Gradually upping the weights and feeling fit and strong but will never be "Hench" as you say.

Recently I've been trying to improve my stamina and starting running on the treadmill. Averaging about 30 mins for 5km but find it a bit boring tbh. Then last month I discovered the "STAIR-MASTER" machine and I love it. I'm up to 40 mins on it doing 3,500 steps (220 floors) but burn over 500 calories doing it!

Also I get a great view of the gym from up there and enjoy 'people' watching so think I've found my new favorite piece of equipment :) 

Is that the machine that is like a mini escalator?  I don't like the stepping machines that just move up and down but the proper ones that actually feel like walking up stairs are amazing.  I had one at my old gym and loved it but new one doesn't and I miss it.

In terms of running I have started doing it outside and getting into it.  I have never really enjoyed it but seem to have found my groove.  Never ran properly/consistantly in my life but gone from 30 minutes to 23 minutes for a 5K in a couple of months so really happy.  All I really need is one really High Intensity session a week now but never get round to it with my other sessions.  Will add it soon.  X

Edited by RumbleFox

4 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Is that the machine that is like a mini escalator?  I don't like the stepping machines that just move up and down but the proper ones that actually feel like walking up stairs are amazing.  I had one at my old gym and loved it but new one doesn't and I miss it.

In terms of running I have started doing it outside and getting into it.  I have never really enjoyed it but seem to have found my groove.  Never ran properly/consistantly in my life but gone from 30 minutes to 23 minutes for a 5K in a couple of months so really happy.  All I really need is one really High Intensity session a week now but never get round to it with my other sessions.  Will add it soon.  X

Yeah, they're just like mini escalators (like these below). You can alter the speed and it really makes me get a sweat on :sweating:

Image result for stairmaster machine

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yeah, they're just like mini escalators (like these below). You can alter the speed and it really makes me get a sweat on :sweating:

That looks like my idea of hell.

I prefer my gym:

countryside.jpg?w968h681

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yeah I really liked them. I used to do intervals on them if 30 second blasts of running and found it a great exercise. 

• Like 1

Oh the stair master my old friend. I used to do my cardio on this, 30 mins interval training 30 seconds on 12 and 30 seconds on 18. 

This one time I was convinced I mastered it, wacked it on 20 and didn’t hold on... the first person to successfully guess the seconds I lasted before flying off and bouncing on my shoulder wins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Really want to get myself a few things so I can do some of my weights at home to save time.  Fancy some kettlebells but the decnt ones are so expensive.  X

Go into a fitness shop and ask for a long weight, they are pretty good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 20/02/2019 at 18:52, Izzy said:

I know it ain't cheap, but a Personal Trainer might be an option. 

I had a PT, once a week for about five months and just finished with him. Probably cost me £500 in total but the knowledge I gained was invaluable. I wrote down everything he told me and I've got dozens of different routines and options now, which I wouldn't have had before.

I now feel I can go it alone and if I ever get stuck, there's always loads of trainers on YouTube and Instagram giving tips away for free.

If the Gym is worth,its salt,they will have Trainers in the Gym,who can advice you on various routines,und explain those routines differences....Then if you want

Somebody to help One throughout the First steps of that routine....usually costs nothing...!!!  Only when takes on an intensive course with PT,does costs  come Into it...!!!......

There are differences...!!

On 20/02/2019 at 12:52, Izzy said:

I had a PT, once a week for about five months and just finished with him. Probably cost me £500 in total but the knowledge I gained was invaluable. I wrote down everything he told me and I've got dozens of different routines and options now, which I wouldn't have had before.

.....Wife must be excited....:ph34r:

Ive been the the type of off and on again workout person. I find it tough to make time between work, commuting, kids and working on finishing my basement but recognizing i need to do better as i turn 40 this year. Sigh.  Ive got shoulder problems (dislocated right shoulder twice in 20 years) so need to get more of a sports injury trainers perspective. Some of these trainers are just meat heads. 

Ive always been a more runner than weight lifter  but did do weights too. Need to get more into the strength training and thinking about getting  a trainer to understand what is best.

I'm grotesquely unfit and would absolutely love to join a gym, but i have a disability which makes me massively self conscious at the best of times. I don't suppose there are any PT's in this thread are there?

Just wondering if there are any ways i could exercise at home using household items that could replicate gym equipment (obviously i know they wouldn't have anywhere near the same effect as using proper gym equipment and machines)

I get plenty of exercise by walking my dog twice a day and i recently started jogging up and down the stairs. 

The fitness problems mostly stem from my disability (Cerebral Palsy) so i need exercises that can help build up the strength in my legs. Any suggestions?

• Like 1