Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
astoriafox

Puel's kids?

I won't apologise, I have struggled with this perception for ages.

Chilwell - regular in first team squad, yes puel gave him more game time - well done to puel

Barnes - loaned out, but impressed so much at wba and we have such limited attacking options he had to bring him back(well done to puel, but slightly sarcastic)

Choudhury - should have possibly played more

Ndidi - been in squad for 2 years as per mendy

Gray - same old (or young) Gray, been in and out of team since he's been here, no change there

Ricardo - good signing

Madison - one of the best players outside of premier League when we bought him for a lot of money.

So in short he's played chilwell (which we all expected), given Choudhary a few games and has brought Barnes back - coincidentally 1 point since he came back, not his fault. 

He's bought some young players of whom you'd say Ricardo and Madison are 2 you would say are good signings.

The rest either not so good signings that they aren't getting game time or not impressing and the rest were already here playing and haven't really improved.

So again, what puel youth revolution? 

• Like 3

Just now, shailen said:

I think that's harsh. He has improved all of those players and Maddison and Ricardo are both excellent signings. 

His signings are better than those under Ranieri or Shakespeare but his style of play and home form has ultimately cost him 

Has he improved Gray?

I said this a few weeks back, it's hard to determine whether Chillwell has improved from simply just playing first team football or whether Puel has actually improved his game... same for all of them. Maddison if anything has become worse with each week that's passed... so Puel to blame for that in the same way he's to be praised for bringing on Chillwell?

I am not convinced either, that he has actually improved anyone that much

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

Has he improved Gray?

I said this a few weeks back, it's hard to determine whether Chillwell has improved from simply just playing first team football or whether Puel has actually improved his game... same for all of them. Maddison if anything has become worse with each week that's passed... so Puel to blame for that in the same way he's to be praised for bringing on Chillwell?

Can Gray be improved though? It's getting to the point where potential just hadn't morphed into a proper player. Probably right on Chilwell. Puel did give him a chance though. It's easy to see that is the right decision now but at the time a lot of managers would have stuck with Fuchs. Tactics and style of play horrendous but he does play youth. 

40 minutes ago, astoriafox said:

Chilwell - regular in first team squad, yes puel gave him more game time - well done to puel

Barnes - loaned out, but impressed so much at wba and we have such limited attacking options he had to bring him back(well done to puel, but slightly sarcastic)

Gray - same old (or young) Gray, been in and out of team since he's been here, no change there

Ricardo - good signing

Madison - one of the best players outside of premier League when we bought him for a lot of money.

So in short he's played chilwell (which we all expected), given Choudhary a few games and has brought Barnes back - coincidentally 1 point since he came back, not his fault. 

He's bought some young players of whom you'd say Ricardo and Madison are 2 you would say are good signings.

The rest either not so good signings that they aren't getting game time or not impressing and the rest were already here playing and haven't really improved.

Great - ring the revisionist hate bell.

Next manager Pearson, does sh*t job, guess who’s fault that will be.

Puel had to go, agree. 

Did he get a fair chance WITHOUT hate?

Not so sure.

He is gone, stop p*ssing on the corpse.

• Like 4

As I said in the Puel's gone thread, I'm not sure what influence he has had on any of them, but the one thing I do know is that he gave them a chance which is more than previous managers would have. With Barnes I think he wanted to use him more last season but wasn't ready for the step up, this season he is and will be interesting to see how he develops. We will see the benefits in the coming years I'm sure of it and refreshing for a manager to give the kids a go even when we are not getting results.

Edited by smitha
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Great - ring the revisionist hate bell.

Next manager Pearson, does sh*t job, guess who’s fault that will be.

Puel had to go, agree. 

Did he get a fair chance WITHOUT hate?

Not so sure.

He is gone, stop p*ssing on the corpse.

Pearson has always taken a bit of time to get going doubtful he would be given that. No doubt he did a great job both times with us, could sour the memory if he came back though and even he used to get a lot of stick. Maybe he was right about delusions of grandeur. 

56 minutes ago, astoriafox said:

Ricardo - good signing

And this and youth revolution is far from the answer anyway.Good riddance 

24 minutes ago, davieG said:

He's gone you don't need to find any more reasons for him getting the push no matter how flimsy they are.

My point is that people have been talking about his youth focus for ages now. I believe (my opinion that is) that we have 3 young players who all made their professional debut before puel was at the club, it is therefore hoped that one day they may become regular first team players.

Of these players you would say that one is a regular first team player in chilwell. 2 good  signings that are regulars, one of whom is 24/25 so not that young. the rest were already in the team and squad, so I just wonder where this image of youth focus comes from.

With regards to youth development, aside from omitting Hamza Choudhury, think Puel hadn't really put a foot wrong in this department. He has given the younger players a chance to make their mark and some have reaped their rewards more than others.

The likes of Ben Chilwell will be his success story. The signings of Ricardo Pereira and James Maddison were big steps in the right direction. Players like these three are young and mainstays in the starting lineup for good reason, based on ability and reputation (let's overlook Maddison's poor set pieces from yesterday for a moment).

However, his youth system wasn't perfect. Playing Demarai Gray up front on his own doesn't work, he is a winger and always will be. Hamza Choudhury was often omitted even though the poor lad had barely put a foot wrong, I mean, we're all still salivating over his beauty of a tackle on Sadio Mané after running back 40-50 yards. Wilfred Ndidi's confidence stands on the edge of a knife, some days he is okay, whilst others he looks completely shot to pieces, so a game out would not do him much harm.

But bringing in youth talent was arguably his biggest achievement here. And the next manager will thank him for it, and so will we.

1 hour ago, lcfceaves said:

Has he improved Gray?

Gray has had much more of a chance under Puel than any other manager. We cannot say whether he improved or not given the limited time he had with Shakey or Ranieri.

Chilwell - I take the point but he chose to put him in the team when at times he wasn't playing that well last season. He saw the potential.

Maddison is a good signing and he has gone backwards a little in recent weeks - I do agree but this is more due to Puels tactics as he is being asked to find an eye of the needle ball every time and ends up losing the ball.

Hamza let's be honest - who saw the potential there. I personally thought the boy was no where near good enough but Puel put him in for some big games.

Pereira is a revelation. Do not need to explain this one.

I think Puel has put a lot of faith in youth and although there was a lot and I mean a lot wrong in his tenure - one thing I don't take away from him is bringing on some of our younger players. 

56 minutes ago, shailen said:

Gray has had much more of a chance under Puel than any other manager. We cannot say whether he improved or not given the limited time he had with Shakey or Ranieri.

Chilwell - I take the point but he chose to put him in the team when at times he wasn't playing that well last season. He saw the potential.

Maddison is a good signing and he has gone backwards a little in recent weeks - I do agree but this is more due to Puels tactics as he is being asked to find an eye of the needle ball every time and ends up losing the ball.

Hamza let's be honest - who saw the potential there. I personally thought the boy was no where near good enough but Puel put him in for some big games.

Pereira is a revelation. Do not need to explain this one.

I think Puel has put a lot of faith in youth and although there was a lot and I mean a lot wrong in his tenure - one thing I don't take away from him is bringing on some of our younger players. 

And then rewarded him by dropping him completely out of the squad! 

24 minutes ago, elvisfmcfly said:

And then rewarded him by dropping him completely out of the squad! 

Well Elvis, you’ve tirelessly posted against Puel for several months now blaming him for everything that is wrong at Leicester. 

No room for excuses if there is no improvement in the longer term now he’s gone eh?

Edited by Nickfosse
  • Like 1