Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Summer Targets

Seeing as TT is open again, who should we be going after this summer?

Obviously it depends on who goes (there’s no way we’ll let more than one major player leave in a window). Personally I think we’ve got a decent balance to the team it’s just Puel couldn’t make it work.

Tielemans needs to be acquired full time and Benkovic will add some quality competition in defence.

Brendan will have a decent fist XI at his disposal but the rest of the squad needs developing still.

I’d love us to go for a top quality winger (Bailey/Ziyech) and a backup striker to Vardy (Che Adams)

Thoughts?

Tielemans and Mitrovic for the first XI.

A backup LB and CM (in similar style to YT).

Waiting to see how BR sets us up before adding anything to that list. Che Adams would be great, but if we end up playing Barnes/Gray up top with Vardy, or only one up front, then not sure where he'd fit in.

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

IMO I think we seriously need to be thinking about a striker capable of taking over from Vardy and not just playing backup to him, he's 33 next season!

That's why I like Mitrovic. Easily take over from Vardy. He's not got the pace but he's got the work ethic. Likes to run in behind but easily be used as a target man due to his ability in the air. Still only 24 and will be available after relegation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I’d like a winger and two strikers all have to have youth and pace on their side please.

I think two strikers is likely to be dependent on Iheanacho being moved on.

I'm still torn on the winger side of it, they'd have to be absolutely top class for me to want to sign them up. Gray (if he can play like the Brighton game for the rest of the season), Barnes and Albrighton are decent options. Unless we can move on Rachid as well, in which case another spot opens up.

Just now, Babylon said:

I think two strikers is likely to be dependent on Iheanacho being moved on.

I'm still torn on the winger side of it, they'd have to be absolutely top class for me to want to sign them up. Gray (if he can play like the Brighton game for the rest of the season), Barnes and Albrighton are decent options. Unless we can move on Rachid as well, in which case another spot opens up.

Ghezzal and Nacho for me should go.

Controversially I’d be happy to lose Mendy as well. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Ghezzal and Nacho for me should go.

Controversially I’d be happy to lose Mendy as well. 

I’d be happy for Ghezzal to stay as he'll be a decent squad player, as would Nacho who we spent a lot of money on and won’t get much of that back. 

I’d like Mendy to stay but only as a backup, though he’d be behind Wilf, Youri (hopefully) and Hamza. 

6 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I’d be happy for Ghezzal to stay as he'll be a decent squad player, as would Nacho who we spent a lot of money on and won’t get much of that back. 

I’d like Mendy to stay but only as a backup, though he’d be behind Wilf, Youri (hopefully) and Hamza. 

I wouldn’t be sad to see Wilf go or at least be moved into squad/bench as whilst he’s great at breaking up play simply isn’t a baller for me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I wouldn’t be sad to see Wilf go or at least be moved into squad/bench as whilst he’s great at breaking up play simply isn’t a baller for me.

I think he just lost his way under Puel personally, though he has still had quite a few decent games. The club definitely believe in his ability given the massive new contract we gave him, so hopefully Brendan can develop him even more. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I think he just lost his way under Puel personally, though he has still had quite a few decent games. The club definitely believe in his ability given the massive new contract we gave him, so hopefully Brendan can develop him even more. 

Hope so.

I suspect one of Chilwell & Maguire may be sold. If there was a choice of losing one, it'd be Maguire as we seem to have a ready-made replacement in Benkovic. Can imagine Morgan will play less as well which would leave us with Evans/Soyuncu/Benkovic (hopefully the latter hits the ground running like he did when he joined Celtic.

If we lose Chilwell, I would love to get Tierney but can't see it happening so a left-back would be a priority, even as a back-up as I think Fuchs still has his sights set on NFL...

We desperately need some striker options - Vardy's not getting any younger and regardless of that, it's just good to have different options. I'd say this was a priority, as well. Vardy/Iheanacho/Okazaki just isn't strong enough or reliable enough (if Vardy's not playing) as we've seen so blatantly this season. 

Tielemans on a permanent would be superb business; takes the weight and reliance of Maddison's shoulders to 'create' and also benefits the team. If we can make Tielemans feel even more 'loved' here and keep supporting him to persuade him to move permanently (if finances are right with us and Monaco) it could be a shrewd signing for sure.

If we can get Choudhury fitting in to the team more regularly, that may even feel like a new signing as well, and saves money on any transfer fees/expenditure anyway. If Amartey can come back as good as he was playing before his injury it'd be good back-up to Pereira.

Players I can see leaving are Simpson, Okazaki, Fuchs, Slimani, James. They wouldn't be that great a loss if we find the right replacements. I just hope we have a very successful transfer window for once as opposed to having one that is littered somewhat with mediocre players who never turn out to be any good. Obviously only time will tell but I suspect with Rodgers at the helm we're in for a positve period for our club again. 

So, overall I'd say we should be targeting a striker as first priority, then perhaps back-up RB/LB as second priority. We have such a good group of young & hungry talented players - Barnes, Chilwell, Maddison, Ndidi, Choudhury, Gray, Soyuncu, as well as a few more experienced heads - Evans, Schmeichel, Pereira & Maguire (both still relatively young anyway), Vardy, Albrighton. Perhaps as a third priority a winger as well to rotate with Gray/Albrighton. But overall our first team looks in good shape - we just lack good amount of depth which, if added to correctly and wisely in summer, could stand us in good stead for next couple of seasons.

• Like 1

Its a huge summer. We need to keep or sell Silva, Diabette, Kapustka, Slimani to name a few bigger ones and we have Soyuncu and Benkovic who haven't seen the team yet. Then there is the possibility of players moving up under Brendan. Morgan, Vardy both entering extinction and does Brendan get Iheanacho firing which let's be honest, he could. Point is there's gonna be lots for him to sift through before targets are marked. I can't bloody wait ?