Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Tielemans

Anyone who thought this would be over the second the transfer window opens is deluding themselves.

It's not in Monacos interest to sell if there maybe other interested parties and it's not in our interest to pay a premium price if we're the only interested party. 

Fact others are rumoured to be interested doesn't mean we should be paying above market value (and while 40m is the asking price that papers are quoting no one will know for sure what Monaco want.) Their season's not over yet, so they probably want to see where they'll be first anyway. And there's always supposedly interested teams in a player but how often do we not hear about any actual bids in a supposed target? We'd be foolish to pay the first price Monaco demands just because of paper talk of other interested parties.

Lastly 40m is still a lot (even in these days) for a young player who's played well for a few months, but wasnt even on the pitch when playing for a Monaco team that's hardly full of superstars. Don't get me wrong I'd love him here, he seems exactly what we need, fit in really well with the style of play Rodgers is trying to get us to play. Will there be others that can so the same job for 40m though? Probably. They'll be a bigger gamble because Tielmans has already proven he links up well with our squad. But so too did Cambiasso and his replacement didn't do too badly.

I hope we get Tielemans. I've loved the way he plays every time he's put on a Leicester shirt, and if we keep the team we've been playing with at the end of this season, can add another winger who offers us that bit more creatively, and add another goalscoring striker, I can't see a push for top 6 being off the table next season.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

A lot of players around for 40m. Hope we get him but he’s not the only option for that sort of money. 

Pretty much this. Really hope we sign the lad but if we walk away from £40m I’d understand it somewhat. Wolves got Neves and Moutinho for a combined 20m or something didn’t they? There is potential value out there if we want it.

Tielemans would make us that 40m back and then some if we were to sell him a couple of years down the line however. 

Dont think there’s any need to panic regardless, club has plenty of time to weigh everything up at the minute

2 hours ago, Mehrez said:

Hopefully that's just us attempting to get the price down, besides it's not from Percy so..

I think it is to be honest, the telegraph journalists obviously don’t communicate look at the Chilwell article last week.

We all knew £40m would roughly be interest from day one so why would we be so interested then all of a sudden just decide to cool our interest. If there is anything in the report I think it’s us calling a bluff to Monaco so they don’t try dragging this out & end up with no transfer at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fightforever said:

Monaco are just delaying trying to get the likes of man u and tottenham to bid.

Exactly & like I said in my last post if there is any truth in this article, then I would imagine it’s simply us calling a bluff & seeing how Monaco react to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Maybe we literally can't afford 40 and that's why we loaned him in the first place. It's not really like us to do a loan deal normally. We were probably hoping they'd fall in love with Silva and we could mitigate the cost. 

Been saying it for a while, I don't really think just lowering the wage bill be enough for big spending if we also want to invest in infrastructure. 

Unless one of the English defenders go for silly money I can well see us not paying for Tielemans. Especially given we probably need a striker, an option at right back and then still a midfielder. 

Maybe he knew all along we couldn't afford him and that's why he's always been coy.

All the more reason to generate some money by selling Maguire, we bought before we sold Mahrez last summer even if there was more of an inevitability about him going Man City than Maguire going to Man Utd. I think we need 4 new players which will cost circa £100m if we pay £40m for Tielemans. It's a no brainer that Maguire has to go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

All the more reason to generate some money by selling Maguire, we bought before we sold Mahrez last summer even if there was more of an inevitability about him going Man City than Maguire going to Man Utd. I think we need 4 new players which will cost circa £100m if we pay £40m for Tielemans. It's a no brainer that Maguire has to go.

There would need to be a buyer though

I genuinely don't think any of the top 6 are that interested in Maguire. Most can probably do better (Man United) and others can't afford the fee that we would sell at (Arsenal)

Edited by Stevosevic

14 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

There would need to be a buyer though

I genuinely don't think any of the top 6 are that interested in Maguire. Most can probably do better (Man United) and others can't afford the fee that we would sell at (Arsenal)

True, but I think Utd would take him for £55m which is much lower than the stupid figures bandied about but about fair. Would give us enough to buy Tielemans and a back up striker.

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

True, but I think Utd would take him for £55m which is much lower than the stupid figures bandied about but about fair. Would give us enough to buy Tielemans and a back up striker.

Why should we sell the England centre half on a long contract for 55m? Koulibaliy is quoted at 95m.  they pay an exorbitant fee now or they don’t get him and someone else will next summer or the one following. (Or they will have to pay that ‘exorbitant fee’ next June).  

as far as Youri is concerned, if we feel the deal might become a ‘Dutch auction’, we may be putting it out there that we are cooling our interest early on to avoid looking like we will pay a larger sum than already discussed between the clubs. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Why should we sell the England centre half on a long contract for 55m? Koulibaliy is quoted at 95m.  they pay an exorbitant fee now or they don’t get him and someone else will next summer or the one following. (Or they will have to pay that ‘exorbitant fee’ next June).  

as far as Youri is concerned, if we feel the deal might become a ‘Dutch auction’, we may be putting it out there that we are cooling our interest early on to avoid looking like we will pay a larger sum than already discussed between the clubs. 

You have to weight up your options, sometimes it's worth it other times it's not. We know we desperately need to buy a CM, a winger and a backup striker if we want to push on from last season. If our budget is £30m now, but could become £85m after a sale, suddenly your options open up. Other times you might not think the players available are worth it and you can't get in who you want, or the money isn't right, so you don't do the deal. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We should be looking for more than £55 million for Maguire, seeing as he’s a first-choice England defender, has a long contract, plus I think I’m right in saying that there’s a sell-on clause to Hull? If so we wouldn’t get all the money, especially after agents fees etc.  In all realism, any money we get for Maguire would cover the Tielemans fee and little else (unless we can punt Silva in the other direction). 

We could do with an up-and-coming back up striker though, along with a winger and right back so I think we’ll be looking at low-cost options for these positions if we get Tielemans, even if we sell Maguire and clear some deadwood with it.

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You have to weight up your options, sometimes it's worth it other times it's not. We know we desperately need to buy a CM, a winger and a backup striker if we want to push on from last season. If our budget is £30m now, but could become £85m after a sale, suddenly your options open up. Other times you might not think the players available are worth it and you can't get in who you want, or the money isn't right, so you don't do the deal. 

We can spend the money now on the basis we will sell maguire (or chilly) next summer ......

we have been showing good profits for four seasons and no debt 

50 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If we can't afford Tielemans, a back up striker and a new winger then we have to sell. No point depriving ourselves just to keep face by refusing to sell our best players. Maguire leaving wouldn't hurt us as much as other key assets and not getting Tielemans would massively, certainly if we harbour any intentions of top 6. We were still 15+ points off top 6 and we'd stand no chance of closing that without a player of Tielemans skillset and calibre. Anyway, I doubt we will walk away from £40m if that's non-negotiable. 

8 minutes ago, PaulW said:

Impressed by your knowledge of the Club's finances.

A) it was a joke

B) they release the finances every year, unless we do something creative we aren’t spending £40m on one player whilst also buying everything else we need. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We can spend the money now on the basis we will sell maguire (or chilly) next summer ......

we have been showing good profits for four seasons and no debt 

No debt? We’ve just taken out two massive deals to secure finance for the infrastructure projects. The debt might not be on the last books, but it’s there.

£1m profit hardly screams loads to spend, and that’s before all the upcoming payments on said projects.

Spending on the proviso of something maybe happening in the future is a dangerous game we are unlikely to do. Injuries, loss of form etc

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

A) it was a joke

B) they release the finances every year, unless we do something creative we aren’t spending £40m on one player whilst also buying everything else we need. 

It just doesn't compute. If I am right our revenue per year is around £120-130m? Wages account for about 75-80% of that which really doesn't leave the £75-80m fans think we'll spend on Tielemans, a striker and a winger. Not to mention the training ground project. We either sell Maguire or Ndidi (either of them wouldn't leave us in trouble) or we'll be cutting our cloth accordingly and it would be highly surprising if we get Tielemans. It is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1