Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

On 16/07/2019 at 10:43, Finnegan said:

I think there's something quite gentlemanly and noble about it, it's within the spirit of rugby certainly. Kick the piss out of each other on the pitch but make up in time for a pint after. 

gentlemanly and noble is roughly translated as shit and boring in the real world

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I don’t think that’s fair on TMS. They are generally always like that but on the whole fair. They also had Michael Comey in for the Kiwis and he was brilliant 

What about Aggers shouting "DON'T THROW IT!" at Archer on the penultimate ball of the Super Over? I found it amusing, but it was hardly professional, was it?

7 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

What about Aggers shouting "DON'T THROW IT!" at Archer on the penultimate ball of the Super Over? I found it amusing, but it was hardly professional, was it?

In the over riding circumstances I think it was understandable. TMS audience is largely English based unlike the ICC’s world feed. 

They are as equally partisan during the Ashes

Guest MattP
31 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

lol

As much as they need to try and be, it's just completely impossible at certain points to be impartial.

Imagine one of us commentating on Tottenham v Chelsea 2016 when Hazard scored.

On 16/07/2019 at 09:57, RowlattsFox said:

It would be interesting if they used that rule in the usual innings. England knew they had to get 242 to win but they didn't get there.

Also, was there a reason we went first in the super overs? Or was it just because the New Zealand lads were already out on the pitch.

Watched the winning moment so many times since Sunday, I know he had the gloves on but imagine if Jos Buttler dropped it, I don't think he'd ever recover.

Yeah, it said on the rules that the team batting second goes first. Probably just makes it quicker.

I think if Stokes needed 3 on the last ball he'd have smashed it out the ground tbh. Was a full toss. 

7 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Feel for Sibley a bit there. Guessing Stone gets in above Archer/Wood by virtue of them needing a rest?

EDIT: Yep, just seen both are injured.

I agree thought Sibley should have been given the chance given the form he's in, plus he hit 70+ against Australia A the other day. He seems to play at boycottish strike rate so could be an option to open or come in at three. 

6 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

No. If he's in, he's in because we need an opener. We've more than enough people capable of doing the "middle order hitter" job already.

I take it that's why people have doubts about him at test level then? Because he could do slogging at 6 easily but opening at test level requires a lot of concentration and composure? 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I take it that's why people have doubts about him at test level then? Because he could do slogging at 6 easily but opening at test level requires a lot of concentration and composure? 

In theory yes, but there are no two players in the whole country (three if you count that problem position into the mix) convincing enough at the moment for England not to consider him right now. He's certainly worth a punt after his form opening in the World Cup, and to be honest I'd take the gloves off Bairstow (get Foakes in) and have him open too. Shame they've not considered Sibley though.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Would you put money on Roy opening in the first test? With Root I guess it is? 

Depends how he does against Ireland. No way Root bats anywhere other than four. He's made clear he doesn't want to and he's the skipper.

Guest MattP
59 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Is Roy more likely to he middle order at test level? 

He'll open, deserves his chance but I don't think he'll succeed in the red ball game, doesn't even average 40 at first class level. 

Astonishing Sibley didn't get the call, averaging over 60 - what more is he supposed to do?

1 hour ago, MattP said:

He'll open, deserves his chance but I don't think he'll succeed in the red ball game, doesn't even average 40 at first class level. 

Astonishing Sibley didn't get the call, averaging over 60 - what more is he supposed to do?

Be friendlier with James Taylor? It's not even like he plays for an unfashionable county - and he got runs for the Lions the other day to boot.

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Depends how he does against Ireland. No way Root bats anywhere other than four. He's made clear he doesn't want to and he's the skipper.

What's the difference in skill set ultimately between 1-2, 3-4, 5-6?

What makes Root nailed on to be four but not open? 

Is he considered England's best test batsman? 

I’ve never seen Sibley bat but his numbers this year make you question why he’s not been given a chance. Heard a few decent endorsements on him from ex-pro’s too but oh well

Denly seems a strange one too. Solid but unremarkable career, bit of a meh selection at this point. Hope he can prove me wrong.

Roy should be an entertaining one

Edited by Goober

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Basic premise behind putting your best at 3/4 is to protect them from the new, swinging ball. Root needs to be at 4 imo because our openers right now are not good enough to bat out 10-20 overs of new ball stuff and Root at 3 would more than likely be out there before 10 overs are up.

Ultimately, you want your best two batsmen at 3 and 4, where they can (hopefully) bat against an older ball and put on some good runs, and ideally have a 5, 6, 7 who can add some decent, quick runs later in the innings. However this hasn't worked for England over the last few years, as we have lacked a high class opening partnership who can put a decent score together and protect our middle order. This has left players such as Stokes and Bairstow exposed and being asked to repair an innings, which both are capable of but cannot do it every game. Many would argue however that the growth of the short format means the days of great test opening partnerships are gone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Difference in skill set ultimately depends on who else is elsewhere in the order, and what job they need to do. We're very aggressive hitter heavy in England at the minute, so really need players who can temper that further up the order and give them licence to play to their strengths by ensuring there's a decent total on the board and we're not too many wickets down early on. Having a top three who can stick around is something we've really struggled with lately.

Root probably should bat higher, but as captain wants to give himself time between innings to switch off from captaincy in order to be able to focus on his batting. I used to think he ought to bat higher (he definitely would if he wasn't skipper and it'd solve a problem for us now), but when I speak to mates I know who've captained even at league level they tell me he has every right to demand he goes in four because you need to give yourself a chance to recuperate after working yourself mentally for however long while running the show in the field.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2