Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

We used to have such a good plethora of openers. Bairstow is a good shout for opening espocally with Roy in the mix but as said. Red ball is a different kettle of fish to the short format. 

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Would you put money on Roy opening in the first test? With Root I guess it is? 

Roy & Burns,will open ..

No3,will again be the tricky one to fill

Then Root N04.

No3 & 5,they might swap between Bairstow and Stokes.

No6 Butler.keeps his place

No7.They will start with Moen.

N8 Curran

N9. Broad

N10 Leach

N11 Anderson.

This will stay for the first 2 Tests.

Then according to form or thought of

Type of wicket. Moen/Leach/Curran's

Selection will the ones first under threat.

If either Broad or Anderson have problems,then selection doors will open for others..That said one of these 2 struggle, I see Curran again keeping his

Place...

I see Roy & Burns, will be given the whole series,unless again injuries crop up.!!! Or 4 innings below 10.

The other thoughts that will crop up.

Our 2 strike bowlers,when will Anderson

Retire,and will Broad be forced to take

1-2 game rest.

Will selector have no hesitation to bring 

Foakes in, if any of the batsman really struggle and seem walking wickets.

I  sure Stoke will be rested in one of the games.

Woakes will play,but will he be considered first choice or Cover..

1 hour ago, Walkers said:

Good to see a county like Notts getting absolutely nowhere despite weakening lesser counties

We were terrible tonight, and I despair at our management if I'm quite honest. We quite happily steal players off the smaller counties, then put them to absolutely no good use. 

We'll be relegated this season, and hopefully Moores will fook off. 

Also, I do greatly apologise for supporting Notts. I've lived near Nottingham all my life, and my father grew up in Leicester, and obviously got me into the footy, but was never massively into the cricket, so Notts was the route I took. 

Guest MattP
9 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Roy & Burns,will open ..

No3,will again be the tricky one to fill

Then Root N04.

No3 & 5,they might swap between Bairstow and Stokes.

No6 Butler.keeps his place

No7.They will start with Moen.

N8 Curran

N9. Broad

N10 Leach

N11 Anderson.

This will stay for the first 2 Tests.

No way in a million years are we playing two spinners at Edgbaston in a opening Ashes Test.

The problem we have in test cricket is we have no consistency in line up and batting order. There are so many ways we can do it and that makes it hard to pick.

I would be tempted to throw Bairstow and Roy together at the top, they seem to bat well together and have confidence (for now) even if they get a quick fire 50 it is better than the positions we have been in recently. Then have Burns at 3 to hopefully consolidate if we lose an early wicket. Root, Stokes and Buttler picks itself at 4,5 and 6. Buttler would have to keep wicket with Bairstow opening, do they feel he isn't good enough to keep in test cricket?

Then you have Curran or Woakes (or both depending on the conditions) Curran is the better batsmen but Woakes is the better bowler. They will probably start with Moeen despite his ridiculously poor form but he tends to do ok in England. Archer/Wood offer something different with their pace but Archer is unproven in this format and Wood can't stay fit long enough. Broad and Anderson are certainties but for me, and I don't have any stats to back this up, Broad's position should may come under threat as I don't think he offers the same threat anymore, however does occasionally have a brilliant spell and the ashes may bring the best out of him.

Bairstow

Roy

Burns

Root

Stokes

Buttler

Curran

Woakes

Moeen

Broad

Anderson

Not expecting Archer to be involved initially.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MattP said:

No way in a million years are we playing two spinners at Edgbaston in a opening Ashes Test.

Oh dear..my bad,I didn't look at the fixtures and grounds..

Then question of Foakes,or another 

Paceman/seamer. Woakes maybe who now can be counted has an all-rounder.

5 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

The problem we have in test cricket is we have no consistency in line up and batting order. There are so many ways we can do it and that makes it hard to pick.

I would be tempted to throw Bairstow and Roy together at the top, they seem to bat well together and have confidence (for now) even if they get a quick fire 50 it is better than the positions we have been in recently. Then have Burns at 3 to hopefully consolidate if we lose an early wicket. Root, Stokes and Buttler picks itself at 4,5 and 6. Buttler would have to keep wicket with Bairstow opening, do they feel he isn't good enough to keep in test cricket?

Then you have Curran or Woakes (or both depending on the conditions) Curran is the better batsmen but Woakes is the better bowler. They will probably start with Moeen despite his ridiculously poor form but he tends to do ok in England. Archer/Wood offer something different with their pace but Archer is unproven in this format and Wood can't stay fit long enough. Broad and Anderson are certainties but for me, and I don't have any stats to back this up, Broad's position should may come under threat as I don't think he offers the same threat anymore, however does occasionally have a brilliant spell and the ashes may bring the best out of him.

Bairstow

Roy

Burns

Root

Stokes

Buttler

Curran

Woakes

Moeen

Broad

Anderson

Not expecting Archer to be involved initially.

Pretty sound logic in the opening debate, I'd be happy to see that team. Agree that Archer and Wood will feature but don't expect either to start and will probably rotate throughout the series. I'd certainly have Woakes at Edgbaston and Lords, he isn't as effective elsewhere so that's where Archer or Wood could potentially come in.

On 16/07/2019 at 22:35, Osavo said:

5 seamers is overkill imo. Woakes wouldn't play a game changing innings for me, good as he is, but Buttler might. Our top order has an awful habit of collapsing quickly, so we have to bat deep. Take your point re Leach over Ali, but Ali does seem to perform well at home for us in tests. In dreadful nick though. 

True, but 5 seamers obviously gives us options. Think between Woakes and Curran, a match winning knock is possible. All about opinions though!

4 hours ago, walkerleeds said:

True, but 5 seamers obviously gives us options. Think between Woakes and Curran, a match winning knock is possible. All about opinions though!

Yeah I get completely where you're coming from. Curran looked the most likely player in the whole team to produce a match winning knock last summer!

On 18/07/2019 at 23:00, Osavo said:

We were terrible tonight, and I despair at our management if I'm quite honest. We quite happily steal players off the smaller counties, then put them to absolutely no good use. 

We'll be relegated this season, and hopefully Moores will fook off. 

Also, I do greatly apologise for supporting Notts. I've lived near Nottingham all my life, and my father grew up in Leicester, and obviously got me into the footy, but was never massively into the cricket, so Notts was the route I took. 

What’s the supporters views on Zac Chappell? 

Guest MattP
22 hours ago, StanSP said:

It's near the end but Ashes 2010/11 fifth test is on BT Sport at the moment. England scored 644 in their innings. 

I was there, I've never took the piss so much in my life as we did that weekend.

I got threw out of a bar for getting my TAB ticket stuck in a machine, guy was already pissed off with us and I asked him to pay me out as it was stuck, he asked me what the bet was and I just giggled and said "England over 350 runs mate, think we've just about got there" and pointed to the TV as we were 500/4 of something.

He just looked at me and said "I'll get your money but you and your pommy shit can **** off out of my pub"

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

I was there, I've never took the piss so much in my life as we did that weekend.

I got threw out of a bar for getting my TAB ticket stuck in a machine, guy was already pissed off with us and I asked him to pay me out as it was stuck, he asked me what the bet was and I just giggled and said "England over 350 runs mate, think we've just about got there" and pointed to the TV as we were 500/4 of something.

He just looked at me and said "I'll get your money but you and your pommy shit can **** off out of my pub"

Amazing lol 

3 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

What’s the supporters views on Zac Chappell? 

Has been nowhere near the first team so far, think he's played in about 3 games, and yet to take any wickets. Seems a waste to take such a talented player and only play him in the second XI, he won't develop there. 

Back for Father's Day got my dad tickets for a Lord"s Tour and went today. 

Great time at an iconic ground. Even learnt a few things which I had no idea about Lord's. So much history here and had the same feelings of when I visited Old Trafford few years back. 

PANO_20190721_151828_vr.thumb.jpg.ae8f437fb19d1148d20159a14785dfa5.jpg

IMG_20190721_161028.thumb.jpg.91b51ef9c87e15e89ccf418405c6253a.jpg

IMG_20190721_161239.thumb.jpg.338081e38ef42c2aa60355b9883a0e8e.jpg

Even got a quick glimpse of Jonny Bairstow. He popped in casually in his Ferrari as you do. Barely said hello to us though lol

IMG_20190721_174146_293.thumb.jpg.cc37eb5a9e23cadff9a6bab79ab6dbd9.jpg

IMG_20190721_154841.thumb.jpg.3731ef7c8da3ed8030f43aecd429b08b.jpg

• Like 4