Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

Nothing wrong with a win by boundary count. Sport is about fine margins and entertainment and in the highly unlikely event that two teams score the same runs over 50 overs and a super over then why not give credit to the team playing the more entertaining cricket. Do not underestimate how insanely rare it is to end like that - I doubt we will ever see anything like that again.

8 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

I feel better about it because they batted second knowing they needed 16.

There was no grey area. Go and get 16 and they didnt.

It would be interesting if they used that rule in the usual innings. England knew they had to get 242 to win but they didn't get there.

Also, was there a reason we went first in the super overs? Or was it just because the New Zealand lads were already out on the pitch.

Watched the winning moment so many times since Sunday, I know he had the gloves on but imagine if Jos Buttler dropped it, I don't think he'd ever recover.

Edited by RowlattsFox

4 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Watched the winning moment so many times since Sunday, I know he had the gloves on imagine if Jos Buttler dropped it, I don't think he'd ever recover.

The last 3 run outs were incredible under that pressure really, all clean pick ups and great throws to a player or keeper who gathered and knocked the bails off. No room for error whatsoever.

Guest MattP
25 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The last 3 run outs were incredible under that pressure really, all clean pick ups and great throws to a player or keeper who gathered and knocked the bails off. No room for error whatsoever.

The last two were brilliant, watching the third back Stokes had barely turned around when the bails were off. Santner had all the time in the World to run Stokes out had he seen him fall over playing the shot.

51 minutes ago, James. said:

Nothing wrong with a win by boundary count. Sport is about fine margins and entertainment and in the highly unlikely event that two teams score the same runs over 50 overs and a super over then why not give credit to the team playing the more entertaining cricket. Do not underestimate how insanely rare it is to end like that - I doubt we will ever see anything like that again.

It brought back to memory with me a time where cup competitions in Rugby Union which were tied used to be decided by tries scored. 

20 hours ago, Finnegan said:

There are times I kinda miss the old days where competitions used to be shared. I don't think anyone could truly argue if that final had been called a draw, both teams played their hearts out and neither deserved to lose. 

My missus reaction to British Lions drawing against the All Blacks. 'So what happens now?' 'It's a draw, they share the trophy'. 'They can't do that' 

17 hours ago, Finnegan said:

You're such a Scouse. 

With some Australia heritage for sure. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

My missus reaction to British Lions drawing against the All Blacks. 'So what happens now?' 'It's a draw, they share the trophy'. 'They can't do that' 

I think there's something quite gentlemanly and noble about it, it's within the spirit of rugby certainly. Kick the piss out of each other on the pitch but make up in time for a pint after. 

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

What I noticed on Sunday was the brand of bats people were using. When I used to play it was GM, Kookaburra, Woodworm, Slazenger or Newbury if your parents were minted. Now it seems to be Adidas or New Balance, strange how things move on. 

All to do with sponsorship deals. I think they're still produced by the same manufacturers but just with different stickers on them.

4 minutes ago, Super_horns said:
BBC with another slightly negative article about the result  on their site ..

Quoting the NZ coach saying it could have been a draw .

Did they not enjoy England winning ?

That's the headline. But the bottom of the article says he didn't even know the rule, accepts umpires are human and mistakes are made, and accepts result can't be changed. The most important part is missed in the headline lol

He even said the trophy should be shared for future if a tournament is tied again not that the last one should be shared. 

They've got a whole section on the homepage about the world cup win and I wouldn't even call it 'negative' as such, either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

A few suggestions they should have just kept playing super overs. They had been playing for about 9 hours, and each change over would take 5-10 minutes. lol 

Tbf you could do ABBAABBAABBAA to speed things up and the odds of the score being the same after two has got to be remote anyway. 

Regardless, it's over now and however you settle a match that's essentially a draw to win a tournament, someone's always going to feel hard done to. 

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Tbf you could do ABBAABBAABBAA to speed things up and the odds of the score being the same after two has got to be remote anyway. 

Regardless, it's over now and however you settle a match that's essentially a draw to win a tournament, someone's always going to feel hard done to. 

That was the first international game decided by a super over since it was brought into the game in 2008. This was also the first 50 over game decided by super over.

There have been 5 super overs that have been drawn, all being won by the side with the most boundaries.

2 in the Womens Big Bash, 1 in the IPL, 1 in the Champions League, 1 in the Caribbean 20/20  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

What I noticed on Sunday was the brand of bats people were using. When I used to play it was GM, Kookaburra, Woodworm, Slazenger or Newbury if your parents were minted. Now it seems to be Adidas or New Balance, strange how things move on. 

Mine was a Gray Nicholls just like Michael Atherton had - when it finally broke in half after 150 pieces of tape were wrapped around it I cried lol

18 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Can't imagine many were listening to it at the time, but anybody who hasn't heard the TMS coverage should give it a listen. 

The last hour of the game:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07gxndd

Phenomenal broadcasting and drama.

There was a lack of impartiality all round, both on TV and radio. Personally, given the drama and what was at stake, I felt it was forgiveable, but I'd imagine Richie Benaud was turning in his grave.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

This could a be a Mash article anywhere else, in India it's a genuine article.

Five Indians in Sachin's team of the tournament and a huge shock (naturally the headline) that Dhoni was excluded lol

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/icc-world-cup/ms-dhoni-missing-from-sachin-tendulkars-world-cup-2019-xi/amp_articleshow/70243104.cms

Jadeja. lol

If I were him I'd be more embarrassed than Collingwood presumably was picking up his MBE.

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

That's the headline. But the bottom of the article says he didn't even know the rule, accepts umpires are human and mistakes are made, and accepts result can't be changed. The most important part is missed in the headline lol

He even said the trophy should be shared for future if a tournament is tied again not that the last one should be shared. 

They've got a whole section on the homepage about the world cup win and I wouldn't even call it 'negative' as such, either. 

Fair point and I certainly agree generally the BBC and other media have revelled in the success - and nice to see some good news topping the news headlines!

I guess those articles were partly for clickbait and to probably show anyone who thinks the BBC are impartial at times like this that they aren't...

3 hours ago, MattP said:

This could a be a Mash article anywhere else, in India it's a genuine article.

Five Indians in Sachin's team of the tournament and a huge shock (naturally the headline) that Dhoni was excluded lol

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/icc-world-cup/ms-dhoni-missing-from-sachin-tendulkars-world-cup-2019-xi/amp_articleshow/70243104.cms

What the hell?!

Why is it only 5?

:ph34r:

• Haha 2

Turning to the Ashes, picking three seamers out of Archer, Anderson, Broad, Woakes and Sam Curran is going to be very tough for the selectors. Anderson is naturally a shoo-in, but I can see Broad missing out. I think they'll go with Archer and Woakes, but I'd really like to see Archer and Curran first test. Curran just seems to have that grit about him as a cricketer which is so crucial at test level, and having a left arm option could be great to change things up. Is a seriously good bat too (not that Woakes isn't of course). Tough decision, not made easier by Curran's excellent performance for the Lions this week.

I'd go with 

Sibley

Burns

Roy

Root

Stokes

Buttler

Bairstow (wk)

Ali

Curran

Archer

Anderson

1 hour ago, Osavo said:

Turning to the Ashes, picking three seamers out of Archer, Anderson, Broad, Woakes and Sam Curran is going to be very tough for the selectors. Anderson is naturally a shoo-in, but I can see Broad missing out. I think they'll go with Archer and Woakes, but I'd really like to see Archer and Curran first test. Curran just seems to have that grit about him as a cricketer which is so crucial at test level, and having a left arm option could be great to change things up. Is a seriously good bat too (not that Woakes isn't of course). Tough decision, not made easier by Curran's excellent performance for the Lions this week.

I'd go with 

Sibley

Burns

Roy

Root

Stokes

Buttler

Bairstow (wk)

Ali

Curran

Archer

Anderson

Leach surely plays instead of Ali there. Similarly i'd have Woakes over Buttler. We bat deep enough without needing their runs. Think it's a toss up between Curran and Broad for the other seamer position.

2 hours ago, walkerleeds said:

Leach surely plays instead of Ali there. Similarly i'd have Woakes over Buttler. We bat deep enough without needing their runs. Think it's a toss up between Curran and Broad for the other seamer position.

5 seamers is overkill imo. Woakes wouldn't play a game changing innings for me, good as he is, but Buttler might. Our top order has an awful habit of collapsing quickly, so we have to bat deep. Take your point re Leach over Ali, but Ali does seem to perform well at home for us in tests. In dreadful nick though. 

17 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

There was a lack of impartiality all round, both on TV and radio. Personally, given the drama and what was at stake, I felt it was forgiveable, but I'd imagine Richie Benaud was turning in his grave.

I don’t think that’s fair on TMS. They are generally always like that but on the whole fair. They also had Michael Comey in for the Kiwis and he was brilliant 

• Like 3